New Cache Container Idea...

I put together a new cache container out of 2" ABS with a screw on cap. I have yet to see one even similiar but was hoping someone else had the same idea and wanted input on water resistance.

I just hid a very similar container made out of PVC. Great flexible design. The down side that I see with the screw closure is two fold:

1) Same as other screw-top containers, people are not good at putting them back on tightly and it is easy to get material in the threads (dirt, leaves, whatnot) that keep them from sealing reliably.

2) The biggy with piping is the pipe threads. These threads are tapered and make wonderfully water tight connections IF the threads are clean, slathered with pipe goop, and tightened very tightly. Without tools the caps cannot be tightened sufficiently tightly to make them water tight. Geocache containers are notorious for lots of debris on and around them. Most geocachers don't cary pipe goop around to reseal after opening.

In the case of my PVC pipe, my biggest concern is the cap being tightened to snuggly. Because I can easily tighten the cap with my hands tight enough that I cannot then undo it with my hands (darn tapered pipe threads). My cache tube is in a damp but sheltered place, so I expect it will always be damp inside, but not actually wet. I tried to file down the taper on the pipe threads so that the cap would bottom out and I could seal it with an o-ring, but I failed.

In your case, with the threaded plug, it looks like you might well need a tool to open the container. Sorry, I don't have a picture of mine. Maybe after it is approved and found by a few people I will visit it and take a picture.

I've found several similar caches and every one was soaked inside. The problem is as The Puzzler describes. In order for there to be a water tight seal it has to be tightened far too snugly for the average person to open it without a tool. And because the average person doesn't carry a tool they usually aren't tightened enough to be waterproof.

I've heard of some who people solve this by tying the appropriate sized wrench to the container, but in the end you have to rely on people who sometimes can't even snap on a Tupperware lid the right way to close your container properly.

Also C_U_I_U_C's concern is a legit one. There have been numerous instances of these things (as well as other containers) being mistaken for bombs. Pipe containers are particularly susceptible to this. So be sure its not hidden in popular areas or where it's likely to be discovered...or searchers are likely to be observed.

I don't have a picture at the moment, but the one we did has been through torrential rain and stayed dry inside. If we get out where it is, we'll get some pictures and post them here.

We used a screw cap on each end so if the main cap got to tight the finder could try the other end. For the main end we put the cap on "snug" and removed it several times. When we were satisfied with the feel we back the cap off 1 turn and counted the visible threads. We then put silicon caulk around the threads (not quite filling the visible threads) and let it dry. When you put the cap back on it will just touch the silicon, which prevents it from being put on to tight and helps keep out the water.

Another thing to help keep it dry inside is to hide it in a vertical position (standing on end). We use the ziplock snack bags for things that must stay dry, like the logbook.

It has been dry inside every time we checked it and no one has said anything in their logs about a moisture problem.

Do a good camo paint job and there should be fewer muggles spotting it and calling the police.

Good luck and have fun,

John

I put together a new cache container out of 2" ABS with a screw on cap. I have yet to see one even similiar but was hoping someone else had the same idea and wanted input on water resistance. It's going onto a coastal cache and I assume the sealed caps with the cap tight will keep it dry. The one nice thing is you can make it as long as you want.

1354528-DSCF1020.JPG

encountered a few of these on the coast or near the water...one key point...you need some kind of gasket or o-ring to help make it waterproof. As for water-resistant, they are okay...just need to remind people not to crank down on it so much the others have trouble opening it.

LIke the idea of the silicone caulk that 2oldfarts used. that may do the trick instead of the o-ring

Edited by The Dillon Gang

"Pipe" containers are found fairly often in this area.

All That I've found utilize the regular end caps (slip on kind). One end is fastened with pvc cement and the other is capable of being pulled off. Sometime this is difficult when the item is painted. Generally when the cap is replaced properly there is little moisture found inside. A few of these that I've come across have been out there for 2+ years.

The problem of wetness still arises if the last visitor doesn't replace the cap properly.

quick field way of opening a pipe cache is to use a chain link fence. stick the square end in the fence (of course you have to have the right size of pipe cap for this to work) and turn the container and presto a fence wrench.

Sounds good, except it only works if there's a chain link fence handy. I for one, don't carry chain link fabric in my pack (altho it would be lighter than carrying two monkey wrenches...). :D

Here are the pictures of our cache container. If you know where to look it can be seen from the highway, but it takes most seekers a little bit of effort to locate it since it blends in so well.

e380b7c2-520f-4d63-bcd2-a583d0c5fd49.jpg

This is the upright position.

fc0ef24a-6bee-4acc-ba8e-7a1cb616adea.jpg

This the top closed.

97522fe6-c3f6-4b66-8f80-7851cd8f3d8e.jpg

This with the top open.

8b9347f9-b7b6-492d-b4da-8b76499a2115.jpg

And this is the bottom.

Simple but it works for us.

John

I put together a new cache container out of 2" ABS with a screw on cap.

1354528-DSCF1020.JPG

Container similar to this get used a lot where I am. They are one of my favorites, and I have used one, and have 4 more ready to go.

They only look like a pipe bomb if you don't put the sticker on them.

They are good containers, and if the finders re-seal them correctly, should keep the water and bugs out just fine. Mines been in place for 6 months, and the contents are fine.

I've done a couple with slip caps (one cap cemented on; the other one just stuck on as the opening). They seem to work well here. I always sand the opening-end down a bit so that the cap slides on and off relatively easily. In a wetter climate I can see needing a bit of a gasket.

...Sammydee

I put together a new cache container out of 2" ABS with a screw on cap.

1354528-DSCF1020.JPG

Container similar to this get used a lot where I am. They are one of my favorites, and I have used one, and have 4 more ready to go.

They only look like a pipe bomb if you don't put the sticker on them.

They are good containers, and if the finders re-seal them correctly, should keep the water and bugs out just fine. Mines been in place for 6 months, and the contents are fine.

You're assuming the sticker will be visible. If it's placed with the sticker down, not many people will pick it up and examine it. THey'll just call 911.

I wasn't going to respond to this but something forced me to do it anyway. :D I would ask this question, "How many of you have seen an actual pipe bomb, except in the movies, to know what it would actually look like?" Here starts my diatribe. If you go to the posted coordinates and that container fits the description and location and you won't pick it up because it might explode, then you need to consider that any container can be rigged. So there goes your fun at GEOCACHING. You are going to need to find another hobby like watching paint peel. And how many of these so called dangerous looking items have we scattered about so just any passer-by can easily see them. If they aren't hidden, then what's the purpose of putting them out there. I'm sure that the person that sees the container is so worried about it being a bomb that their 1st thought that comes to mind is to get real close to it so they can read that sticker. Hmmmmmm? And I guess that the bombers out there haven't thought that maybe that would be a good idea to mislabel the next one they leave for someone to find and maybe put a label on it that says Geocache container. :anitongue: Oh, and they may also try to conceal the countdown clock that is required for all bombs so we know that we only have 2 seconds to live. Sorry for those that are taking this personally, but get a life. The sky isn't falling. The type of container and where it is to be hidden should be paramount to every cache placement. And if it isn't, then don't hide it. End diatribe here. For those of you that are laughing, have a good day and happy hunting. :D Ok, I think this all started with a question on how to keep the water out? Ziplocks were suggested and they work good for mine. Or if possible, fix it so it can only be returned to the hiding spot with the same end down each time. Make that end the one that opens. If it isn't sitting in water, that should take care of most of your problems. How about hanging it with the opening down? Hope this is of some help . ---> Some say the glass is half full. Others say it is half empty. I think the answer is that it is the wrong size.<--- :laughing: My son just walked by and said the real issue is, "if you are pouring or drinking".

I would ask this question, "How many of you have seen an actual pipe bomb, except in the movies, to know what it would actually look like?" Here starts my diatribe. If you go to the posted coordinates and that container fits the description and location and you won't pick it up because it might explode, then you need to consider that any container can be rigged.  So there goes your fun at GEOCACHING. You are going to need to find another hobby like watching paint peel.

The pipe bomb concerns that have been brought up have nothing to do with a cacher not wanting to pick up a container because they suspect it might be a bomb. The concern is if a muggle stumbles upon the container or sees a stranger in the bushes placing the container.

There have been several cases of law enforcement blowing up caches, or at least being called out because they were suspicious that the container might be a bomb, so it is a real concern.

Here is a recent example. And, here is another recent example.

RM

Edit: Some more examples: Ex, Ex, Ex, Ex

Edited by Rocket Man
Be careful with this type of container, you don't want it to be mistaken for a pipe bomb.

I had the same concern. Being a former firefighter, we get called to all kinds of things that are percieved as being bombs. Pipe bombs are the most common ones to be made by amatuers.

The geocache might resemble a pipe bomb to some people. But besides that, I think that it's a great idea. I just hope that you can get an adequate water-tight seal using the end cleanout.

OK, one idea to help eliminate this sort of thing happening. Talk to the local police department, show them the cache container and let them know where you are putting it. You will probably have to explain geocaching to them, but I would say it's better to spend the time explaining before it get's blown up than afterwards and then having to replace the cache.

Mickemt

Howdy from Oklahoma...

While this thread is interesting and can clearly carry serious overtones...I couldn't help but notice that no one commented on the absolutely hilarious log entry mentioned and linked by SixDogTeam

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...ff-1c22bfc7faef

SixDogTeam...thanks for the belly laugh...perfect way to get ready to start another work week in the morning...:anitongue:

BTW...I do think that in this day and age we have to be careful how we practice the sport of geocaching...but location seems to be far more important when it comes to the issue of caches being mistaken for bombs. As mentioned by others, if its hidden well to the point where you literally have to be looking for Lat/Long...there probably isn't a problem... :laughing:

I would ask this question, "How many of you have seen an actual pipe bomb, except in the movies, to know what it would actually look like?

Most people haven't. I know I haven't, but I'd assume it would look somewhat like a pipe.

If you go to the posted coordinates and that container fits the description and location and you won't pick it up because it might explode, then you need to consider that any container can be rigged. So there goes your fun at GEOCACHING. You are going to need to find another hobby like watching paint peel.

Geocachers going to the posted coordinates will assume they have found the cache. A person walking his dog past the container may mistake it for something else. A pipe bomb perhaps..

And how many of these so called dangerous looking items have we scattered about so just any passer-by can easily see them.

Enough where it is a problem.

Edited by briansnat

The only wet PVC cache I've seen was one that had been shot with a pellet gun a few times, and thus had holes in it. If you drill a hole in the square top of the cap (designed for a wrench) and put a piece of allthread or long bolt through there and epoxy it in place, then just about anyone can open and close it using the leverage provided, and it stays dry. Some people really, really don't like PVC, but IMO it works very well.

... And how many of these so called dangerous looking items have we scattered about so just any passer-by can easily see them. If they aren't hidden, then what's the purpose of putting them out there. I'm sure that the person that sees the container is so worried about it being a bomb that their 1st thought that comes to mind is to get real close to it so they can read that sticker. ... Sorry for those that are taking this personally, but get a life...

Thanks for the advice to "get a life." My advice to you is "get an education." Begin by running some searches in the forums to find all the prior topics on caches that have been removed forcibly by bomb squads or other law enforcement officers. Look at archived caches like this recent example. If you had any idea what Groundspeak's incoming call log for bomb scares looked like, perhaps you'd think differently.

Your education might also include a review of the Forum Guidelines.

I recently found a geocache that was disguised as a clean-out in an area where pipes and valves are to be expected. The clean-out was positioned in an odd spot that didn't make sense. I tried to turn the lid off with my hands and found that it would not budge. ( I am a big guy who works out.) I explored the area around the clean-out and determined that it was in fact, a fake clean-out. I had to return to my vehicle to get a pair of pliers that would enable me to remove the lid. Once I removed the lid, I found the geocache and logged it. On the bag containing the log, I noticed some brown goop, that I believe may be thread goop. The stuff stained my clothes and smelled awful. I made certain that the threads on the lid were clean and then replaced it. I made certain that it was only snug and could be removed with bare hands. I then emailed the cache owner with the problem of lid tightness. He has yet to respond to my email.

I have recently engaged in some debate about educating law enforcement and fire departments about geocaching and geocache containers. From working for an agency with 100 plus uniformed personnel, I can tell you that any effort to educate them about geocaching will be mostly fruitless.

DZDIVER

I have recently engaged in some debate about educating law enforcement and fire departments about geocaching and geocache containers. From working for an agency with 100 plus uniformed personnel, I can tell you that any effort to educate them about geocaching will be mostly fruitless.

You can educate all you want, but if they encounter a suspicious object or package they will likely err on the side of caution. That usually means the bomb boys will be brought in.

One thing that may work as a lubricant is petroleum jelly (AKA Vasaline). I use it on the threads of my maglites to waterproof them, just a real thin layer is usually enough to waterproof. The stuff comes in small squeeze tubes perfect for tossing in a backpack or fanny pack.