Cache Proximity

There is a waterfall in my area called Carpenter's Falls that is not only one of the most beautiful, semi-secluded areas around, but a perfect place to go rapelling. I took my wife there on our first date and we went rapelling down the cliff adjacent to the falls. Two years later to the day, we relived our first date, but this time, halfway down the cliff, I asked her to marry me, ring and all, 40 feet in the air or the side of the cliff.

Well, it just so happens that in this particular cliff, there is a horizontal crack in the rock, about 2 feet deep, and maybe 6 inches tall, 10 feet wide. It's a ledge with a natural roof, and the perfect place to stash a class 5 terrain cache. Excluding class 5 caches that are only rated as such because they require boats, it would be the only class 5 cache within 96 miles.

I was thinking I would call it "Marry Me" or something similar, but there is one problem:

There is already a cache nearby.

From the top of the cliff, directly above where I want to stash my cache, there is another geocache, not more than 30 feet away.

So I ask the questions:

1. Do you think the approvers will let me place it?

2. What are the odds that someone will mistake a 2-terrain cache for a 5, or vice versa.

3. If someone hikes into the woods with a backpack full of rapelling gear, looking for my cache, and instead accidentaly finds one that they can just walk up to, what are the odds they will think they found mine?

Also:

1. Someone looking for a class 2 cache couldn't possibly find mine by accident.

2. Did I meantion there are no 5-terrain caches in almost 100 miles?

What do you think?

I think there is a comment posted around here on this EXACT same topic. I'm not saying you're being redundant, I'm just saying that someone should be able to direct you to a quote from an approver commenting on the fact that if there is one cache at the top of a cliff, and one cache halfway down, this may be a reasonable departure from the .1 mile rule.

Or something like that.

I'll see if I can locate it.

Pan

The cliff question is one that comes up as to what is an acceptable reason to have a cache closer than 528'. Normally one is below and one on top. Yours is in the middle.

I'd say go for it. Nobody looking for the 2 will find yours. Some might mistake the 2 for your 5 so I'd let everyone know that your's really is a 5 you will be needing special equipment etc.

3. If someone hikes into the woods with a backpack full of rapelling gear, looking for my cache, and instead accidentaly finds one that they can just walk up to, what are the odds they will think they found mine?

What do you think?

Don't underestimate how stupid people can be.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of people on here that log finds twice, log their own caches with finds, log a find and say "this cache is missing", etc.

Your cache would almost certainly get a lot of finds posted to it that would surprise you. Like, "Found this cache but was surprised I didn't need the rapelling equipment I brought", and, "Found this one today, it reminded me a lot of an old cache that was in this same spot last year". Both of which would have signed the log in the other cache.

This is the reason for the 0.1 mile rule.

However, I'd suggest contacting the owner of the other cache and telling him your story. Maybe his has been there a while and he'd be willing to archive it so you could use the spot. Just don't expect him to, and don't get upset if he'd rather keep his instead.

However, I'd suggest contacting the owner of the other cache and telling him your story. Maybe his has been there a while and he'd be willing to archive it so you could use the spot. Just don't expect him to, and don't get upset if he'd rather keep his instead.

This isn't such a bad idea. You might be able to work out a deal where they move theirs a bit. Especially if they are trying to show a general view and your spot is a bit more personal.

... halfway down the cliff ... 40 feet in the air or [sic] the side of the cliff.

From the top of the cliff, directly above where I want to stash my cache, there is another geocache, not more than 30 feet away.

Well, using what little knowledge I think I have of the pythagorean theorem, it sounds like the old cache is actually "about" 50 feet away from where you want to place the new cache.

I still disagree that the two caches can't live in harmony. They are two completely different experiences.

If someone ends up logging the wrong cache on the cliff webpage, they can be directed where to correctly place their log. Its not like you'd be taking anything away from them. They'd still get their smiley.

And if they come looking for the cliff cache, the description can clearly say that it is NOT the easy cache nearby at the top. If you have enough information to show up with rapelling gear, you should notice the reference to the additional nearby cache.

I don't think the idea should be scrapped in anticipation of "stupid people."

With that said, maybe the guy with the nearby cache would like to do a joint effort cache in your location. You can be co-owners, and you can put the whole story in on the cache page.

Good luck.

Edited by Pantalaimon
Here's the type of post I was referring to, but not the exact one I read. So, me thinks there is more than one.

Post by Keystone Approver

With regards to the 30 foot measurement, is that actual distance? The caches are 30 feet from one another? Or is that what it would look like on a map, but actually the caches are much further apart than that?

Pan

On a map, it would look like 30 feet, yes.

Cache spot would be about 15 feet down the cliff though

30' is a huge bend in the rules.

Maybe if you offer to prominently mark your cache and post in the description "Logbook marked with 'Marry Me' on cover. If the logbook is not marked then you didn't find this cache."

Off topic: How about the cache name of "Marry Me. Don't Rappel Me." ;) Okay, bad joke.

There was a time when I would have preferred hanging from a thirty foot rope to being married, but I'm all better now.

I agree with CR... reviewers bend the guidelines in special circumstances, but thirty feet is awfully, awfully close. I cannot ever recall listing a cache that is this close to another cache. But a lot will depend on the exact topography. You will want to work all this out in advance with your friendly neighborhood cache reviewer, and with the owner of the other cache. You are getting some good advice in this topic.