Cemetaries Off Limits?

;)

Hi everyone. I have a clever idea for a cache that can be either a placed cache in a woods * somewhat near but not on* a historical area, or it can be simply a Virtual Cache directly to this historical site. The site is an antiquated graveyard that has many spooky mysteries/legends surrounding it, and I found a website that discusses the actual truthful history of this local icon.

My question: I read that things like cemetaries and stone walls should be avoided as places to put a cache. What if I make the site part of an educational Virtual cache where they would not need to actually look for anything but the historical place? Is that taboo?

Or what if the cache is in the woods about 1/4 mile from it (with trinkets and stuff), and then it also offers the coordinates to the graveyard in a sort of multi-cache, but the actual graveyard is just a virtual part of the caching experience?

(I could tuck the historical information printed out in that cache box, too).

What's your feeling on this? Do you think the moderators would find this a bad idea?

Or what if the cache is in the woods about 1/4 mile from it (with trinkets and stuff), and then it also offers the coordinates to the graveyard in a sort of multi-cache, but the actual graveyard is just a virtual part of the caching experience?

(I could tuck the historical information printed out in that cache box, too).

I'd go with this plan. Always better if there's an actual cache involved in geocaching. ;)

The moderators have nothing to do with cache reviewing. The cache reviewers would probably look favorably on a multi cache the has a middle stage in a Cemetery that is a virtual as long as the final stage is a physical cache. Just make sure that the cementa is not marked No trespassing, or Entrance my permission only. I suggest you end an e-mail to your local reviewer and give the all the details and ask for an opinion before you create the caches page. I think you will find that if your idea meets all the current guidelines the reviewer will probably be quite favorable in their decision.

You could create a puzzle that would require a visit to the cemetary to calculate the coordinates for the final.

That sounds like a great idea...but I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean. Do you mean like using a date on a gravestone as part of a coordinate?

Thanks for the awesome suggestion.

Edited by Birdsong-n-Bud
You could create a puzzle that would require a visit to the cemetary to calculate the coordinates for the final.

That sounds like a great idea...but I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean. Do you mean like using a date on a gravestone as part of a coordinate?

Thanks for the awesome suggestion.

Thats what he means. Using a date or other inscription on a gravestone to provide an offsset to the actual coordinates.

I don't know where you got the idea that cemeteries were off limits. I've found a good number of caches in cemeteries. I think an historic cemetery is a great spot for a cache as long as it isn't next to a grave, or as one person here asked, in a headstone.

I have done a lot of cemetary multicaches. I needed to go to the cemetary and find a tombstone or sign and get some numbers to finish the coordinates for the final cache.

ex. find the john Q Smith tombstone and subtract 1321 from his year of birth to fill in N 44 15.XXX and subtract 1143 from his year of death to fill in W 088 25.XXX for the final ammo box.

This brings people to see the cemetary where they don't have to root around the bushes looking for the cache in the cemetary but are then directed to another spot for the final cache.

If you want people to visit the cemetary then make it part of a multi, using info from the stones to get to the final coords. If you just tuck a note into the container, too many folks in a hurry for a smiley will log the find, but skip the interesting history. You will have a hard time getting a virtual approved in today's climate.

Just to clarify something else for you: the moderators oversee the forums, the approvers review the actual caches. However many of the moderators in here are also approvers over there. ;)

PS: Ditto everyting else Brian said while I was checking my typing. :anibad:

I don't know where you got the idea that cemeteries were off limits. I've found a good number of caches in cemeteries. I think an historic cemetery is a great spot for a cache as long as it isn't next to a grave, or as one person here asked, in a headstone.

Thanks for all the help on this! I think I may have misinterpreted the cemetary rule when I read this on the Listing Requirements and Guidelines Page:

"Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans. "

In looking, I can't even find where I found the "no stonewall" rule, though that is stuck in my brain, too. I did see one Stonewall Cache (called Dog Pound), but it clearly stated that stones did not need to be removed in order to locate the film canister.

I thank everyone for their clever math ideas. That definitely adds to the interest of the cache, too! Thanks so much. I look forward to doing this, thanks to your input!

Edited by Birdsong-n-Bud