Sending File To Gps

Com1 is your first serial port. Be sure that you are plugging it into the same serial port as you were before, otherwise you will need to adjust your settings to Com2 (or whatever).

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the GPSMAP 76S, and have never used GSAK (been meaning to try it).

There are a few things I would though. Make sure your GPS Interface is set to the Garmin mode. I switched my Legend over to NMEA mode one day to connect it with Streets & Trips, then discovered I had to switch it back before I could download waypoints.

If you have EasyGPS, you could try troubleshooting with that. Under File/Preferences, click Add GPS and select the Garmin/GPSMAP 76S.

Make sure it is hooked up to the computer and turned on, and select GPS/Test Serial Connection...

It will tell you that it's checking to see if the port you are using is being used by another device. click OK

If you don't get an error, then you've got the right port (or at least one that's not used).

It will then try to identify your GPS. Click OK. If it comes back with information about the GPS, then everything is working fine (and your issue would be with GSAK). If it gives you an error, then the problem is with the GPS/Connection to the PC. Try changing the settings to Com2 and repeat the steps above... see if that helps.

Sorry I can't be more help, but those are some of the steps I would try. Someone else here might be familiar with that particular error message from GSAK and be able to give you a better answer. Good luck!

I had a similar experience and it was my PDA Hotsync still had control of the port. If I right click on my Hotsync icon, it allows me to choose exit and then I am able to download to my GPS.

There is a thread related to PDAs that mentions this, however, I can never seem to find these things easily.

Hope this helps.

In GSAK, I found GPS, I clicked and all there was, is Garmin and Magellan. Didn't see a Enable USB support and no check box. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Maybe you have an earlier version?

On mine:

Click on GPS

Click on Setup

This brings up a dialog box - GPS Setup

The box contains the following:

GPS Brand

Enable USB Support

Communications port

Port Speed

Maximum waypoints for GPS

Make sure you connect...

USB support in GSAK is available only to those that registered GSAK and downloaded the preview. It's not in the mainstream release.

Explain what "a serial port not a Com port" means to you.

Access denied sounds like a problem with the exclusive open, such as something else (hotsync PDA programs, other mapping programs, modem programs, whatever) having that serial port open. Your statement " I can send waypoints to my Palm OK," seems to give some weight to the first of those options, esp. if it's a serial-based Palm.