Pda Maps For Usa?

Birders

Sorry to post this here but we had no response from the USA forum, which surprised us somewhat.

Has anyone done geocaching in Florida using a PDA with maps? We've searched around for MM-compatible maps without too much success - it's either the whole of the USA or part of Florida we're not interested in! Eg You can download a superb map of the Greater Miami area for free - it goes right down to street level on the PDA. Unfortunately we're interested in Fort Myers!

Anyone with any tips pse email us at: berksbirds@aol.com. Tks

Having the same problem ourselves as we are off to Lake Tahoe, and San Francisco in January.

Tried a few others, but prefer Memorymap, as we have everything set up for that.

The only way round it we`ve found is if you use Memorymap Navigator, you can calibrate the map images, so if you can find a suitable map image, load in it to MM as a PNG file, and calibrate it.

Takes a bit of time, but have done it for Lake Tahoe and San Francisco TOPO maps. But at least we don`t have to fiddle around getting used to other programs.

MM OS 2004 doesn`t calibrate the maps though. Only Navigator does. But once you`ve made the maps in Navigator, you can export them so you can use them in OS 2004.

Hope this helps others who don`t have maps for memory maps for other areas.

Pengy

Thanks for all that folks.. We too would like to use MM as we have that all set up too. If not, Fugawi looks interesting as we would prefer a prog on which we could plot caches. Might be worth waiting until we're there as prices are so much cheaper than here. Meanwhile if we find out any more we'll post it here.

;) Living here in lovely Oklahoma, I use TOPO USA, v5.0. It does support the exporting of maps to a PDA, but I don't care for this way. I like to have a paper map which will show a much larger area. Topo, when ran on a PC allows you to zoom in and out, showing greater detail as you zoom in. Much like the MetroMap website. Enjoy your visit to the states. Hopefully by the time you get here, the elections will be over and you will be able to hear something besides political news. Of course it could be like our last election, with things in limbo for another month.
Sorry to post this here but we had no response from the USA forum, which surprised us somewhat.

There's a USA forum?

I've only downloaded maps to a PDA with Fugawi...but I couldn't work out how to scale in and out (I'm not sure you can with a bitmap), so it wasn't very useful at a fixed resolution. I'm more comfortable with Mapsource maps downloaded to GPSr, but that may just be because I'm used to it.

(I'm not sure you can with a bitmap), so it wasn't very useful at a fixed resolution. I'm more comfortable with Mapsource maps downloaded to GPSr, but that may just be because I'm used to it.

Each have plus and minus... Vector maps take up much less space than bitmaps, but bitmaps can show things that a vector can`t and are usually more accurate

Why choose one or the other, when you can have both. Although we have found that the vector maps aren`t very accurate, only the other week it said we were walking on water.... (I hadn`t noticed a halo over our heads :mad: )

Another we are gadget nutters, so we have to have both... :D:D

Pengy&Tigger