unpublished caches

flask

somewhere i read a thread about caches whose coordinates are not available here, but by word of mouth, or on a TB. i wish i'd paid attention to where it was, and i can't get it to come up in a search. any help?

and while we're on the topic, i know a landowner who found a box labeled "geocache" that isn't registered here. the landowner likes the idea, but would prefer to have been asked. since it's an unpublished cache, i'm not sure how to help the landowner make this contact. i am unsure as to whether contact information was provided in the box.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
and while we're on the topic, i know a landowner who found a box labeled "geocache" that isn't registered here. the landowner likes the idea, but would prefer to have been asked. since it's an unpublished cache, i'm not sure how to help the landowner make this contact.

It could have been posted on one of the other geocaching websites. There are several others.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
and while we're on the topic, i know a landowner who found a box labeled "geocache" that isn't registered here. the landowner likes the idea, but would prefer to have been asked. since it's an unpublished cache, i'm not sure how to help the landowner make this contact.

It could have been posted on one of the other geocaching websites. There are several others.

It could also be a cache that was place have never activated(or approved) and not removed, archived and not removed icon_frown.gif, moved (intended or not) or lost, or maybe one of those (rare?) surprize type caches. By surprize I'm talking about one of caches where the person hid it, and the only 'advertise' it threw other means than a website, like putting info in other nearby caches.

Flask: Did that container that was found have a logbook? Was anything in it? Are there any indicators if this cache was ever found?

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

the kid who found it didn't open it, but it was labelled on the outside. he came to me with questions because he knows i cache. he'll probably go back and open it this weekend. i also know there are newbies living in his area, and it might have been placed by them.

i work as a schoolteacher, and some of the kids i works with are starting to go caching with their families.

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

somewhere i read a thread about caches whose coordinates are not available here, but by word of mouth, or on a TB. i wish i'd paid attention to where it was, and i can't get it to come up in a search. any help?

I know of one in my area. Interesting idea. The hider has printed up cards with the cache coordinates on it. However, each card has most of the coordinate digits missing, and each card is different. When you find a card, you write down the digits it has. You can then either leave the card in the cache, or move it to another cache, but you shouldn't keep it. If you're able to locate enough cards, you'll have the full coordinates. I've seen enough cards to determine all but one digit, which gives me 10 possible locations. It's a low-order digit, so they're pretty close together. One of these days, I'll try each one and see if I can locate it.

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on February 19, 2003 at 04:08 PM.]

If nothing else, this is a really cool idea. It might be a neat way to create a hitchiker with non-published cache coordinates in it. The only thing you'll miss out of it is that you won't get notified when somone visits the cache and logs and entry online. It might however be an excellent way to get a "road less traveled" cache of which the goodies might be a step up from the regular dollar store fodder.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

Prime Suspect,

I have found the cache that you are referring too. Other sites exist that list caches. For example, navicache.com and geocachingworldwide.com have some caches listed that are not on geocaching.com. Geocaching.com is the best resource in my opinion!

Just an FYI. The cache had $20 in it. I took the $20 and left a $10 (I was FTF).

Grimlock

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

I don't know that it is. I'll let you know if/when I find it.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2600.gif http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2700.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SpongeRob:

...you won't get notified when somone visits the cache and logs and entry online.

Why? I'm planning a couple of similar caches. To get around the ability to look at your profile and find the unpublished cache, set up a sock puppet account--one per cache. The email address on each goes to you. Then put in 0º 0.000 0º 0.000 as the coordinates and it wouldn't show up in anyone's nearest list unless they look at 0º 0.000 0º 0.000. (You can choose just about any out of the way location. I suggest at least 500 miles from any land mass.) Put each of your sock puppeted caches on your watch list and you'll get notifications.

Simple.

CR

72057_2000.gif

To answer the original question, there are other sites that list caches. Though, I tried to post earlier with the names of the sites and my post got flagged icon_mad.gif. The other sites have very few caches (at least in my area) and geocaching.com is definitely the best site.

PrimeSuspect, the one you are talking about actually resides on another site. I, like you, had collected all but one number for the coordinates. I then stumbled across this other source, and I was able to complete the starting coordinates. It had $20 in it (for first finder). I took the $20 and left a $10. I haven't seen any logs since. It was definitely the hardest cache I have ever done!

Good luck!

Grimlock

quote:

I know of one in my area. Interesting idea. The hider has printed up cards with the cache coordinates on it. However, each card has most of the coordinate digits missing, and each card is different. When you find a card, you write down the digits it has. You can then either leave the card in the cache, or move it to another cache, but you shouldn't keep it. If you're able to locate enough cards, you'll have the full coordinates. I've seen enough cards to determine all but one digit, which gives me 10 possible locations. It's a low-order digit, so they're pretty close together. One of these days, I'll try each one and see if I can locate it.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2600.gif http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2700.gif

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on February 19, 2003 at 04:08 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Why? I'm planning a couple of similar caches. To get around the ability to look at your profile and find the unpublished cache, set up a sock puppet account--one per cache. The email address on each goes to you. Then put in 0º 0.000 0º 0.000 as the coordinates and it wouldn't show up in anyone's nearest list unless they look at 0º 0.000 0º 0.000. (You can choose just about any out of the way location. I suggest at least 500 miles from any land mass.) Put each of your sock puppeted caches on your watch list and you'll get notifications.

I don't really see the point of setting up phony accounts. If the actual coordinates aren't listed on the cache page, then who cares if someone can look it up using your profile?

Of course, you may have a bit of trouble getting the cache approved in the first place, if it has bogus coordinates.

quote:

I don't really see the point of setting up phony accounts. If the actual coordinates aren't listed on the cache page, then who cares if someone can look it up using your profile?

Of course, you may have a bit of trouble getting the cache approved in the first place, if it has bogus coordinates.

I agree - I see no reason to not have it on your profile.

Also, I personally wouldn't choose coordinates that are so totally bogus. The clue card cache seems like a great idea and I'm thinking I might have to build and hide one like that. icon_biggrin.gif I would choose some bogus coordinates that are in the area (within 20 miles of the cache hiding spot). An interesting choice would be a confluence, where the minutes and seconds are equal to zero (example: 93* 00' 00", 42* 00' 00"). Then in a large bold font declare at the top of the cache page "there is no cache at these coordinates" and explain that the finder needs to collect the information on the cards (hidden in nearby caches) to determine the actual coordinates.

As an added twist for more fun, I'm thinking it would be neat to allow people to "trade" clues - one clue swap per person or team. (A can trade one clue with B and trade one clue with C, but A can't trade two clues with :D.

"Advertising" for clues would be prohibited

- No posting in a forum.

- No posting a note on the cache page saying "Anyone have any clues to trade?".

Allowed:

+ Asking your friends directly to swap clues via phone, email, out on a group hunt, etc.

+ If someone posts in their find note for a cache they found a clue, you would be allowed to contact that person and offer a trade.

+ Going to an event cache and swapping clues would not only be allowed but encouraged.

What do you think??? Could be a lot fun and a great way to meet other cachers. icon_biggrin.gif

-- Scott

quote:

...who cares if someone can look it up using your profile?

quote:
Originally posted by smillersmiller:

I agree - I see no reason to not have it on your profile.

The whole idea is for it to be a mystery. Once someone learns they can find out what mystery caches are out there by looking at your profile, then you lose a little bit of control. They can look at the logs and email people who have found it for clues.

Quite simply, with it not in your profile, people will not know to look for it unless they find the clues that it even exists. They get to discover it from clues in caches or whatever.

Of course, it can't be helped that someone can look through someone's FOUND list and discover it, but there's no way around that at the present time and a very round about way to discover a cache.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:

Of course, it can't be helped that someone can look through someone's FOUND list and discover it, but there's no way around that at the present time and a very round about way to discover a cache.

The odds of someone finding on you "owned" list is about the same as someone else finding on someone elses "found" list. It still seems pointless to me.

Besides, how many people would actually keep a record of the coordinates after they've completed the cache? If someone were working on a multi-cache that I had found 2 weeks ago, and wanted to where the coordinates for stage 3 were, I couldn't give them a clue.

quote:

The odds of someone finding on you "owned" list is about the same as someone else finding on someone elses "found" list. It still seems pointless to me.

Besides, how many people would actually keep a record of the coordinates after they've completed the cache? If someone were working on a multi-cache that I had found 2 weeks ago, and wanted to where the coordinates for stage 3 were, I couldn't give them a clue.

You're probably right. I'm still a little down the road from releasing the one I'm thinking about. I might have to re-think it.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:

The whole idea is for it to be a mystery. Once someone learns they can find out what mystery caches are out there by looking at your profile, then you lose a little bit of control. They can look at the logs and email people who have found it for clues.

It seems like a trade off... Giving it a page, more people will know about it, and maybe try to find. Not giving it a page it would more a mystery, but might discourage some seekers.

If someone wants to cheat they'll be able to do that no matter ifs theres a cache page or not, or what account its under.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Grimlock:

PrimeSuspect, the one you are talking about actually resides on another site. I, like you, had collected all but one number for the coordinates. I then stumbled across this other source, and I was able to complete the starting coordinates. It had $20 in it (for first finder). I took the $20 and left a $10. I haven't seen any logs since. It was definitely the hardest cache I have _ever_ done!

Thanks for the tip. I found the listing over on Navícache. That'll save me a few wild goose chases.

If the question was "where on this website were unpublished caches discussed," the last place I saw it was the New England Forum.

In my area, I've never seen a cache listed on N@vicache that wasn't already listed here, but your experience might be different. (Because I never saw a unique cache there, I stopped checking that site long ago.)

I've gotten coordinates for unpublished caches:

1. From cache logbooks

2. From printed cards placed in caches

3. From e-mail notifications

4. From personal websites

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

I'm sure this is not what you are looking for , but we have something like it floating around the Portland Oregon area this TB The Key to the Nutria

Bob G.

Where are we going?......And WHY am I in this handbasket???