Geo-burnout - Don't Wanna Cache No More!

lowracer

I got to 538 cache finds before I asked myself "Why am I doing this?"

I'm hoping it's only a temporary situation.

I just can't drag myself out to find another cache.

I can't drag myself out to place another cache.

I'm sick up and fed with caching, the actual process of going out and looking for them.

It's not a political thing with geocaching.com, don't get me wrong. I'm a premium member and I got no beef with the frog.

I'm sick of log-only film-can micros, moldy tupperware, rusty ammo cans, cheezy swag, soggy logbooks, and TNSLs. I'm bored with looking under rocks, looking in hollow trees, and looking in all the wrong places. A fun and interesting hike? Boring. Beautiful scenic views? I'd rather watch Fear Factor and eat Bon-Bons on the couch. Meeting interesting people on the trail? I'd probably just catch more poison ivy.

I still enjoy the off-topic forum though, since it has nothing to do with caching.

Anyone been totally bummed out on caching and later recovered? We have a few of the "old guard" here in Austin who got to around 300-500 caches and then just quit cold turkey. Their caches have been adopted out and they're nowhere to be seen, online or off.

Maybe I'll be one of those cold turkeys but I do remember when it was fun. Can it ever be fun again?

-mark.

It hasn't happened to me geocaching, but has happened to me with other hobbies. I see nothing wrong with taking a break and then seeing if you regain interest. If you don't, then you don't. There is no reason to engage in a hobby that you no longer enjoy.

You can also try to find ways that make it different so it isn't the same old thing. Maybe snow caching or night caching etc.

In the end though, you have to do (or not do) what makes you happy!

I hear you.

I hit 197 and it felt like I hit a wall, just don't feel like doing it anymore. It was a struggle to get the 'energy' to do the last few. It's been about six weeks since I even turned on the GPS. I've had no beef with the frog in my 3+ years, actually think he's doing a great job.

Hopefully this feeling will go away soon, because the sport has been a blast until I hit the wall. :o

I could see it happening to me, at the point I've cached out all of my favorite sorts of local caches (walks in the woods), hider or finder. Happily, I'm a long way from that yet.

I'm a serial enthusiast, though. I've been into...all sorts of things, over the years. People who've known me since forever snicker about it -- you know, like I coulda been a container if I'd stuck with one or two subjects and become a real expert. But I think they're missing the point.

For one thing, I don't want to be a professional at all the things I've played games with. You do a thing for a living and all the joy goes out of it (ask a shady lady).

For another, I've learned an astonishing amount about an astonishing number of topics, and had an absolute blast doing it. And, sooner or later, I always seem to come back to old hobbies once my brain clears.

If you ask me, it's an excellent way to be.

I hear ya, brother.

Today I rode part of a 12 mile mountain bike trail with the idea of placing a few more "challenging" caches. After SSW#1 and #2, I feel like I have a certain standard to meet, even if it means they are only found once every two years.

As I was riding, I thought "Hey, here's something neat. I could come out and ride the whole trail 3 times a week, timing myself and trying to improve my speed." Totally unrelated to caching.

Problem is, I'd be doing it alone, and I kinda like CR's company. Caching is the only activity I have found that will get CR away from the house and active. We have slowed our pace quite a bit. Part of that is my doing.

In the beginning, I would spend Friday night getting everything ready. Saturday, I would be up before dawn packing lunches so we could head out at 6:30 or so. As you can guess, that got old for CR pretty quick. I also had a bad habit of wanting to stay out WAY too late.

Now, we cache some week-ends, and do other stuff some week-ends. This week-end we are going to an event, and will probably cache in the area.

Having our 2nd closest cache over 80 road miles away doesn't help either!

I hope you don't give up the caching forums, I have always enjoyed your posts.

Sissy

It happened to me about three months ago. My caching partner and I pushed ourselves to find 200 caches in 3 weeks so we could join the Kilo Club at a big local event. After that, I was burnt. The urge to put forth more than minimal effort for even the closest caches was gone.

The near-complete burnout only lasted a month or so, and now we're back in business as far as wanting to go find caches.

I'm still not fully recovered, though. I have a garage full of caches ready to go but I can't bring myself ot actually place them. I've gotten two out in the past couple months, whereas I have more than 20 gathering dust at home...which is probably for the best, because the thought of having to do cache maintenance gives me the chills.

Yep, burn out for we passionate types with a low threshhold for boredom is a perennial problem. Obviously (and happily) I'm not near there at the moment w/ geocaching but... As others have said, surely no harm in taking a break, nor never looking back, but... If you'd like to maybe regain the passion - how 'bout try an entirely new slant to it.

Perhaps teach some geocaching clinics to kids (esp. underpriviledged kidlets). Or... lead the way in designing caches for the physically challenged. Or... I used to know sign language and volunteered to take youngsters on cross country ski outings, etc. You'd be amazed at how limited the opportunities for such activities are for such kids. Take a group of deaf kids on a simple geocache - take along somebody that knows sign language if need be - am sure someone at the schools could supply you w/ an assistant. Just 'cuz they can't hear doesn't mean they can't read a gps and romp through the woods.

Shoot, hide a geocache on the grounds of your local resthome, and... hand some of the folks in wheelchairs a gps and see what happens!

The point is - just seems to me that when I reach out from my own hedonistic passions and lend a hand to others - something magical happens. Surely don't mean to wax schmaltzy, but - perhaps if you tried something like that your gc passion would return anew...

It has happened to me every winter. Then spring comes along and I am ready to go again. I to have noticed the quality of many of the caches declining. I suspect the individuals who place these caches will soon tire of this sport. I still see many creative caches. If you want something challenging and original see Where's Waldo place by Renegade Knight. In order to find this cache you must first find Waldo. This is not an easy task and cachers all over the state have been looking. If you are lucky enough to find Waldo the coordinates for the actual cache are written on the back. I guess I'd better get out there and find a few more caches before winter sets in. I need to store them up like a squirrel stores nuts.

Burnout happens every so often. I pushed hard to reach 1000 and then I was down for a while. Went on a 4 day cachin' trip in August and didn't hunt for a month. I used to go out by myself all the time but I have found a great caching partner and it's not the same unless she's with me. So yeah... my zeal has fallen off after 1300 finds but I still enjoy it alot but in a different way. I think anybody that has done this for any amount of time gets the feeling every now and then. But something or someone will come along and kick you in the butt. Just my two cents.

Edited by Special Ed

I'm sick up and fed with caching, the actual process of going out and looking for them.

It's not a political thing with geocaching.com, don't get me wrong. I'm a premium member and I got no beef with the frog.

I'm sick of log-only film-can micros, moldy tupperware, rusty ammo cans, cheezy swag, soggy logbooks, and TNSLs. I'm bored with looking under rocks, looking in hollow trees, and looking in all the wrong places. A fun and interesting hike? Boring. Beautiful scenic views? I'd rather watch Fear Factor and eat Bon-Bons on the couch. Meeting interesting people on the trail? I'd probably just catch more poison ivy.

I still enjoy the off-topic forum though, since it has nothing to do with caching.

Anyone been totally bummed out on caching and later recovered? We have a few of the "old guard" here in Austin who got to around 300-500 caches and then just quit cold turkey. Their caches have been adopted out and they're nowhere to be seen, online or off.

Maybe I'll be one of those cold turkeys but I do remember when it was fun. Can it ever be fun again?

-mark.

The trouble is you made geocaching the reason why you went out to those places. Make it secondary to what it is that truly interests you and take the pressure off of looking for the cache. I did that from the start, and have never regretted that decision. I'll never get tired of geocaching because I don't do it enough. I make it a point to leave most of the urban caches alone unless I have one of my nephews or nieces with me or I'm a couple of finds away from a milestone. On the big mountain hikes, I don't mind going it alone, but it is more fun to hike with someone sharing your interest.

So take a break, watch Fear Factor or Survivor and eat your bon bons. Your GPS will still be there patiently waiting for you to recharge your batteries.

Then, when you're ready, create a new reason for going out there, and oh by the way, there seems to be a cache just over yonder. If you got time, go after it, if not... no biggie, it's not the end of the world. Besides... you'll be back and if not that cache, then a different one if it is there.

No solutions here, just commiseration...

I can't say that this has happened to me regarding geocaching, but the last two soccer seasons, for me, were dreadful. My wife even commented on my lack of enthusiasm on game days. I was preparing to hang up my cleats and gloves, (I play goalie), for good. Somehow, this season, my game day anticipation and butterflies are back. I can't tell you what changed, but I can empathize with the burnout issue.

In the words of the Righteous Brothers, I hope you can get "back that lovin' feelin'". I think you've been a strong member of Texas' geocaching community.

I hate to see it happen, Mark, but I can understand. You have put out some really interesting and challenging caches that have been enjoyed by many. (I never could figure out all those intriguing puzzle caches...I guess my mind doesn't work that way.) Thanks for your contributions to the Austin geocaching community. I hope you will still come to the events when you can? (I know, we don't get to very many of them... so many things take our time, it seems.)

Carleen... Mark put out a truly awesome night cache (we haven't done it, just read the reviews about it) so he is real familiar with night caching... and we just don't get enough snow down here near Austin to make snow caching worthwhile! That would be fun, though, to take a vacation and get in some snow time. I miss that white fluffy stuff. I grew up in Kansas, and spent 10 years in Central Iowa, so I know what we (my family) are missing.

Anyway, Mark... take care!

Malia

I've never been a big cacher...74 finds in a little over 3 years, and 10 or so hidden. I enjoy caching in other avenues such as the hiking staffs and the magazine (Today's Cacher).

I guess since I only go out on a cache hunt every month or so I still find it exciting. I often look at people that seem to cache every day and wonder how they keep interest in the sport.

Be sure to read my editorial in next months issue of Today's Cacher it will address something similar to this very thing.

Meanwhile, slow down, take a break. Caching is like anything else...too much of a good thing is bad.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Sure, we got into to it big time for a while, have (I think) 328 finds under our belts in multiple states and have definitely slowed down.

It is usually related to how busy our lives are at the time, but we definately enjoy caching during a vacation and actually plan vacations with caching in mind. As you all know, it takes you to wonderful places off the beaten path, whereas you would never go to otherwise.

During the non va/cay times, we sometimes will go on a whim to a destination 1 1/2hours to 3 hours from home, just to explore an area for a weekend getaway. eg: Last year we went to see the visitors facilities at MT. St. Helens as we had never been there before, and chased down some caches to make it more interesting. Great time!

I think that one could easily 'burn out' on caching, BUT, if you include it with other fun agendas, I think it can continue to be a wonderful pastime/hobby/sport???

We're going to the Florida Keys this winter (got some free tickets:) and will include some caching along the way for some interesting sidetracks.

Let it be a FUN thing to do, not an obsession.

C.J.

Ive had many hobbies come and go. I think the biggest thing that makes them fun for me is having someone to share these hobbies with. Im fortunate that my wife loves caching as much as i do. We too were gung ho at first and made 200+ mile trips just to find caches. Yes, they were fun trips but nowadays its hard to just do that. As someone suggested above, we have so many other things that we do for fun. If we're on a trip, caching is usually second on the agenda, but we allways make sure to bring the GPSr and check out any caches in the area while there! Mark, slow down some or give it a rest completely for awhile but come March, we hope to see you at the Challenge!

Here's what I do when I get bored ... first, cover it with Whip Cream then sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top then lick it all off. This has never failed me ...

Also, try something different ... try caching at night, only look for multis or only hunt for micros for awhile. Anything to break-up your routine ...

Edited by clearpath

Hey Lowracer,

If you don't already do this, try caching with a friend. It's a good deal of fun. I know this is a really, really obvious suggestion, but I've found that even caches that are pretty average, or even less than average, can be really fun when you have a friend along with you.

I also recommend only doing the caches that really catch your interest for some reason.

It also helps to have more than one hobby - too much of even a good thing can get old.

Best of luck to you!

You need to come visit and go caching with my children. :o

Of course I do night caches and the real bad terrain ones without them, but those are my quiet moments.. I think without the kids I would have stopped along time ago. The last post about friends caching is ever so true.

We have been known to drive over 75 miles to meet up with someone to do a 1/1 micro and it was fun because of the friendship. It gives us an excuse to visit with people we have met in other parts of the state.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy it again. I look at geocaching as theropy from work. ;)

Be safe and just enjoy whatever you do. Life is too short to do something that makes you want to complain about it.

Some asked a while back why 90% of the cachers haven't found more than 54 caches. We all know it's very easy to find a lot more than that for most of us.

I think it's a very valid question, "Why do people drop out?"

I've got a similar feeling as you, lowracer. I think it's from "more of the same." There isn't much out there that excites me much anymore. We have two basic goals, hunt the hard ones and keep our 50 mile radius clear. I've found the vast majority of caches are nondescript hunts to nondescript places with a nondescript cache with uninteresting trinkets.

While I haven't lost the desire to challenge folks with a good hunt, I wonder if I would be disappointed with my own hunts looking at it from the other direction. It makes you think.

Hasn't happened to me and I don't see it happening. I make sure that Geocaching is just one of a number of interests I have. I think if I concentrated on any one of of them, I'd eventually burn out. I know I did for a while with softball, when I was playing in 5 leagues and over 100 games a year. I cut it down to 2 leagues and maybe 30 games a year and I really started enjoying it again.

With geocaching, I don't understand how people with 500 finds in a year, or with thousands of finds CAN'T be burned out. I know I certainly would be.

I like to keep geocaching fresh. I won't look for caches for days and sometimes weeks at a time, then I may go on a binge and find 3 or 4. That and I've always preferred hiding to searching and looking for inew and nteresting places to hide caches is always fresh. Its quite a challenge these days.

I have shared this observation in other "burnt-out" threads before. What keeps me going for any and all caches in this area is the great comraderie that has developed with our growing local caching community. When I first started over two years ago there were fewer that 200 caches within 100 miles, and maybe 15-20 cachers attended events. Now we are up to almost 900, and Our local events now draw 60+, and one in August had almost 100! It seems kinda surreal to now be an "old-timer" that newer cachers want to meet after finding some of my hides. :huh:

I started doing this as a lone wolf, discovering parts of the area I had never been to before, and enjoying some ME time away from any other responsibilities. :anibad:

My primary interest has morphed into loving the team hunts, especially when we set out on the really tough hides, or just an all day loop into the nearby countryside, sometime with just one geopal, sometimes with a carful or two!. I still go out alone frequently, but often wish I did have a geopal along for the trip. This past spring I found caches in Italy. I'm possibly going to Malaysia next year and am already looking at the caches there, and Hawaii the following year for our 10th anniversary, and yes will find some there too.

I'm planning my third major caching road trip of the year with the gang. Yes we will rack up some numbers, yes we will see some nice parks and trails, and yes we will probably see some weaker parking lot hides too. We also have two 5/5's in our target sights. But the best part of the whole trip will be the fun of sharing the adventures with my geo-pals! Nope no signs of slowing down or burning out here. ;)

So LR-maybe you just need to shake up the way you approach your geocaching as has already been suggested. Go solo for a change-or with some frineds if that is already your MO. Use your bike, or not. Hunt at night, heck even try some without the GPS. From what I have read there is an active community in Austin and you are already a big part of that. Seems like a shame to let all those relationships just drift away. ;)

Yep, burn out for we passionate types with a low threshhold for boredom is a perennial problem. Obviously (and happily) I'm not near there at the moment w/ geocaching but... As others have said, surely no harm in taking a break, nor never looking back, but... If you'd like to maybe regain the passion - how 'bout try an entirely new slant to it.

Perhaps teach some geocaching clinics to kids (esp. underpriviledged kidlets). Or... lead the way in designing caches for the physically challenged. Or... I used to know sign language and volunteered to take youngsters on cross country ski outings, etc. You'd be amazed at how limited the opportunities for such activities are for such kids. Take a group of deaf kids on a simple geocache - take along somebody that knows sign language if need be - am sure someone at the schools could supply you w/ an assistant. Just 'cuz they can't hear doesn't mean they can't read a gps and romp through the woods.

Shoot, hide a geocache on the grounds of your local resthome, and... hand some of the folks in wheelchairs a gps and see what happens!

The point is - just seems to me that when I reach out from my own hedonistic passions and lend a hand to others - something magical happens. Surely don't mean to wax schmaltzy, but - perhaps if you tried something like that your gc passion would return anew...

Wise advice ;)

So far there has always been something new. Our cache theif opened up the area to new hides in old spots. Ive found that interesting. As Night Stalker said I also hid a bitch of a cache. I've had a lot of fun placing clues. More fun than finding caches lately. Other challenges have been the wet log challenge, not exactly geocaching but part of the hobby just the same. I finally ponied up for my first event. The purpose of the event isn't to find caches so much as to go to a spot that is rumored to have some historical significance. That's something I'd do without geocaching.

It has happened to me every winter. ...

That's funny. It happens to me every summer.

This summer, I've blamed it on a long recovery, but the truth is that I had not done much caching in the months leading up to my 'accident'.

While its true that I am not currently physically able to do difficult caches (heck, I can't even get to a few of my own caches), there are plenty of local caches that I could go after. Every week, I intend to dump the newest PQ into my palm and hit the road, but it never happens. Perhaps next week will be different.

Why must people always look for a reason?

It is possible to become fed up with any hobby, especially if the excitement has gone. I know I've been there.

As for caching, well in my area I'm so fed up with searching for and finding rubbish that I feel the expense far exceeds the excitement.

However the forums keep me in touch, so it can't be all that bad----can it?

Edited by Bucks Bodgers

I tend to agree that is is easy to be burned out when all you find is lame micros, or another ammo can with mctoys. That is why My roomie and I have decided to create some of the most interesting and unusal caches and containers we can think up. We are also starting "seasonal themed caches" to (We hope) inspire others to put more effort into the caches they place, this game is only as good as the caches placed and it starts with you!

...this game is only as good as the caches placed and it starts with you!...

Hear, hear! Indeed, and the best part is that designing kewl caches a cut above the rest is arguably even more fun than finding them. g-knows it seems most everything has already been "done", but that's the challenge.

Even as a relative noobie with but 1 simple puzzle cache placed to date, I'm presently planning two new ones (each with its own unique twist) that hopefully folks will find amusing, if not mildly clever.

-mark.

You have to take a break from it for a while.

Then you have to look into another hobby and adopt one. I started getting into HAM radio.

Then you begin to see where the two hobbies interact and where it might be fun to do a little of both.

Lastly, you need to stop trying to get numbers and start thinking of specific places that you want to cache at or specifc reasons to be in an area other than "there is a geocache there". Geocaching becomes a happy side light to a trip or a really interesting experience finding a cool cache.

I have basically stopped hiding caches. I had one more idea, but I decided that it wouldn't be cool enough and the crowd that is doing most of the geocaching here are familes and they wouldn't get into it.

I have for the most part quit caching for the sake of caching. With the spew of lame micros that have covered Omaha like vomit in the alley behind a college bar, It just isn't fun anymore, and the caches that I still like to do take more time than I have to spare.

I will stil grab a cache or two here and there, and when I go, it will be on targeted missions to accomplish some specific goal or will be a cache in an area that I will be at anyway. I will be hapy to hunt these and leave the vomit clean up for those who find it fun.

...spew of lame micros that have covered Omaha like vomit in the alley behind a college bar...

Great visual there!

Good advice from everyone in this thread. i've decided to just take a break from caching for awhile. I'll concentrate on maintaining my caches and weeding out the ones that weren't as popular (if it hasn't been found in over six months, in this part of the country that's a good indicator).

I've converted all my smileys out to just 'notes,' so that I don't feel the peer pressure to work up the smiley count for its own sake. I'm keeping my list of finds in a GSAK database so that I don't revisit caches I've already done.

And when I do decide to do another cache, I've decided to just pick and choose caches that are highly unusual or interesting, and not to do more than one of these per day.

Finally, I've met with a group of other like-minded cachers here in Austin, and we're holding a Geo-Burnout event (GCKV8T) next week to discuss our mutual burnout with the sport. Prizes will be awarded for the cacher with the least number of finds in the previous month, the most number of DNFs, the worst case of poison ivy, and the most second-to-finds. No smileys will be allowed to be posted to the event page, only notes or DNFs. ;-)

I got started caching and loved it, but then other things cropped up in my life (elderly parents having surgery--3 in six months!--and other things) and I stopped caching for a while. Then I took up a new hobby (actually, I returned to it after a 20-year hiatus)--riding a motorcycle. So now I've thought... why not combine the two? I just got a motorcycle mount for my eTrex and hope to try it out this coming weekend, if the weather cooperates. It's just about the end of the season, but I live in northern Colorado, where--believe it or not--we have some very nice days throughout the winter. I'm going to keep my bike in running condition throughout the winter and try to get out geocaching whenever I can. I'm hoping the combination of the two will give me a little boost to get back into geocaching.

Does anyone else geocache on a motorcycle?

Julie

I got started caching and loved it, but then other things cropped up in my life (elderly parents having surgery--3 in six months!--and other things) and I stopped caching for a while. Then I took up a new hobby (actually, I returned to it after a 20-year hiatus)--riding a motorcycle. So now I've thought... why not combine the two? I just got a motorcycle mount for my eTrex and hope to try it out this coming weekend, if the weather cooperates. It's just about the end of the season, but I live in northern Colorado, where--believe it or not--we have some very nice days throughout the winter. I'm going to keep my bike in running condition throughout the winter and try to get out geocaching whenever I can. I'm hoping the combination of the two will give me a little boost to get back into geocaching.

Does anyone else geocache on a motorcycle?

Julie

Hey JukieF-

I had been thinking about you and what you had been up to.

I was in the F.C. area last weekend and helped myself to several caches over there. I am trying to hit the 200 mark soon. I have 4 left to get there. No problem.

I have had some slow spells but no burn out. I really enjoy traveling and caching at areas I don't know. Other states and other countries. It turns into almost a goal to see a particular cache(s), imagine what it looks like and where it is. Then get there and see how close your imagination was!. We went to California in Sept. and I downloaded PQ's and bookmarked several in the areas we knew we had planned to be.

It happens.  For me it took an eight month break to get back to feeling positive about caching again.  Take the time you need/want.  Do some other things you like or haven't ever done before.

I'm glad you are back caching again. I always thought that you were the one "true" cacher that I would never catch up with. We went a few weeks without much caching activity when my oldest son was getting married. We are slowly getting back into it again. We even enjoyed caching in the rain today. :anitongue:

--Marky

Hate to see a fellow Austinite bite the dust....

Same thing happend to me after 12 years of Mountain Biking. Just wasn't interested anymore - the trails were lame, overcrowed and the downhill crowd was wrecking all the technicals just so they could go bombing downhill without having to have any skill. (okay, I'll stop ranting now).

Only recently have I got back into biking (because of geocaching believe it or not) - so I'm trying to approach geocaching and biking in the same way. For me it's quality not quantity. I'll load up all my stuff and hit some place fun once every couple of weeks as opposed to 4 or 5 times a week.

Hang in there.

I discovered early on that the number of caches doesn't thrill me at all. It is either the place or what I am going to get that matters. I like tracking down the Jeep 4x4s and going to really cool locations. I would probably like caches with cool contents to paw through, but have never seen anything but glorified McToy/Dollar Store content. So, I placed my own just yesterday that I would LOVE to go find.

And that's the deal. I read and find something that sounds interesting and then "Go for it"

I was a hiker before I was a cacher.

If it ever becomes a numbers game, to me I'm missing the whole point. Go out, visit someplace new, and enjoy the journey.

I could go on about Lame caches, but that is another thread. They have their place, but number games isn't my game.

I simply ask of every cache now "Show Me Something Cool" and let the descriptions and logs decide where I go. And if I go a month without anything - so be it. Dukie and I still take our walks. We just have other goals than a cache.

Now, go outside and play!

I thought it was happening to me. Turns out I had a cold coming on. Try setting up a caching day with people you hardly know. Or take a break, plan a vacation, and go caching somewhere else. Stop searching the urban micro, head out for the 5/5 caches. Change your style. Maybe it's SAD? You just need a break, or a change. Let us know what happens.

Edited by Planet
[snip]

Then I took up a new hobby (actually, I returned to it after a 20-year hiatus)--riding a motorcycle. So now I've thought... why not combine the two? I just got a motorcycle mount for my eTrex and hope to try it out this coming weekend, if the weather cooperates. It's just about the end of the season, but I live in northern Colorado, where--believe it or not--we have some very nice days throughout the winter.

[snip]

Have a look at:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...KJ&Submit6=Find

When my daughter was born I took 2 months off, it helped quite a bit. When I came back to it the "NEW" geocachers have a obsession with micros. The Maritime Geocaching society started and that has helped get me back into it. I haven't set up a micro and hope never to set one up, I HATE THEM AND ALWAYS WILL!!!

(CRAZY IN CANADA)

Moving to Montana...land of few caches was good for me. I rediscovered fly fishing and it was a lot of fun...trout below the house were often 18-20 inches. Never had fishng that good.

only two finds in September and didn't miss it.

I will still go out caching, but other things will come into my life lot more now.

what i do is pack a telescoping ultralight pole in my backpack and look for caches nearby potentiall fishing spots....fish for a while, find the cache, fish...also, look for caches that i can approach my cycle (motor or mountainbike) ...i.e. as others have said, make the caching a secondary pleasure...i mean if you really look at just caching, we're talking about using a sophisticated gadget to find a plastic box filled with junk...really not all that interesting in and of itself...however, if your out having fun in the woods, caching can be gravy on the cake

I'm not even at 30 finds yet, and I find my interest---not dropping, but less passionate.

A little over a month ago when I started, I was all fired up to go out and find a cache. I made and learned from my rookie mistakes, but have found that most of the caches are filled with just plain junk in my area (Broome County, NY).

Yes...it if fun to see and go to new places, but come on. The original point of caching is to trade items.

Micros suck.

I went out and got some good trade items, but have had little opportuninty to trade due to lack of interesting items to take. Finding a big ole ammo box gets the heart pumpin' only to be let down and finding McJunk. What a bummer.

It's starting to get colder here, so I'm not going to go freeze my butt off to go sign a log.

Edited by derekdoubleut

Hasn't happened to me and I don't see it happening. But I have changed my views on caches. I tend to skip boring or uninteresting caches and have archived my caches that were poorly placed or gave me high maintenance problems.

I goto events as often as I can, meeting people is more fun, but I do feel now that I have seen or heard of 90% cache types out there.

I have other interests that keep me going and I travel to other places which leaves room for new areas to explore. I can easily see if you live in one area and have explored the 50 miles radius around your house how you could become bored with it.

My caching has slowed down but I still enjoy the forums and the events. ;)

This is an interesting thread because like many other posters here, I too have slowed my caching in recent months for many of the same reasons.

Because of "micro burnout" for me in many areas, these days I limit my caching to keeping my home area (Miss. Gulf Coast) clear, and to exploring/caching as many new (for me) areas as I can. I just last week completed a vacation trip to the Canadian Maritimes (NB/PEI/NS), and we integrated caching into it and got to explore many areas of the region that we never would have discovered if not for caching. (Thanks to the Maritimes Geocachers for the GREAT shopping list!) I also plotted the trip so that I could snag a cache or two in each of the 6 New England states, so that added 9 states/provs to my tally (because I too miss Dan's stats site terribly!)...now at 33 states/provs cached.

I still enjoy the forums and Event Caches, and between that and the paragraph above that's what keeping me going. But I definitely feel your pain.

I'm also still trying to fight the good fight as to my "Cache Quality" crusade ( see Dave's Note to Local Hiders and Dave's Opinions on Geocache Hiding ), but even on those fronts I'm starting to concede defeat to the Micro Bombers amongst us.

-Dave R. in Biloxi