Pda Maps?

I was juat wondering if anyone is useing any map programs on there PDA, if so what kind? I'm kinda new to the PDA thing but I'd like to find a map program kind of like the map program thats on the Geocaching web site. A topo would be better, but beggers can't be chosers. I can't seem to find a program that I can export to my PDA. Any susgestions?

you can demo mapopolis on the palm - download the map reader and a demo version of your county map. if you are using cachemate you can also download and install a export plug-in that lets you export your cachemate records to your address book, where they show up as icons on the map in your palm.

I did so, it was nice. you can select the 'route' option off the menu, choose your current location off the map and choose a cache as a destination. The software will give you turn-by-turn directions, which is great if you don't know the area you're in very well. When I have time I will probably spring for the $40 map pack so I can downloald all my area counties. I'll have to get an expansion card to hold them though. I considered getting the $200 package that adds a GPS to my zire 71 so i could see my progress on the map, but money is tight.

I'm using Delorme SA2005HH on a Palm 515 with GPS Companion. This will get you street level maps for around $39. You can add TOPO USA for topo maps for a bit more $99. I use this setup to get me to the area of the cache and the go back to may handheld for the find.

Team Sand Dollar

I have this setup, also. Works well with a clip on GPS, too.

you can demo mapopolis on the palm - download the map reader and a demo version of your county map. if you are using cachemate you can also download and install a export plug-in that lets you export your cachemate records to your address book, where they show up as icons on the map in your palm.

Any ideas for those of us that cannot run palm OS 5.0? Right now I'm running 3.5 on my Handspring.

you can demo mapopolis on the palm - download the map reader and a demo version of your county map.  if you are using cachemate you can also download and install a export plug-in that lets you export your cachemate records to your address book, where they show up as icons on the map in your palm.

Any ideas for those of us that cannot run palm OS 5.0? Right now I'm running 3.5 on my Handspring.

i use Quo Vadis from marcosoft.com GPSBabel will export your waypoints to this file type.

It is smooth and tracks via gps. nice app with a small memory footprint. i would have gone for mapopolis due to a couple features such as directions ond taht sort of thing, but i couldn't load waypoints into it as I have palm os v4.1

I use Mapopolis and Cachemate.

Cachemate is nice because it gets the cache description, previous logs, hints, info, pretty much everything you need, right out of your pocketquery .gpx file. You can read the entire description of the cache, then hit "NAV" and now you have a gps-like screen with a pointer to the cache, speed, distance, etc. The best part of using mapopolis to cache with is the fact that cachemate can export caches to mapopolis as waypoints, then mapopolis can tell you how to drive there. Since mapopolis can interface with your palm-compatable gps as well, you can get real-time driving directions to the site. The palm actually speaks to me:

"Left turn, one tenths mile" etc.

My gps is a Globalsat BT308 reciever. It communicates to my palm pilot via Bluetooth wireless connection. 99% of time I am caching, my gps unit never leaves my backpack! And I've never printed out a cache page either, thanks to cachemate.

I did so, it was nice. you can select the 'route' option off the menu, choose your current location off the map and choose a cache as a destination. The software will give you turn-by-turn directions, which is great if you don't know the area you're in very well. When I have time I will probably spring for the $40 map pack so I can downloald all my area counties. I'll have to get an expansion card to hold them though. I considered getting the $200 package that adds a GPS to my zire 71 so i could see my progress on the map, but money is tight.

WalruZ,

I seem to be having some difficulties with viewing the waypoints on the mapopolis maps...if you get a minute could you explain to me exactly how you exported/imported and/or view them on the map?

Thanks!

SixTen

With the older versions, you can use GPS2Maplet, which is actually a better method of dealing with user waypoints. Putting waypoints in the Palm address book is a bad idea. Mapopolis listened to someone who thought it was wonderful, and now realize the problems, because of the complaints from other users, and reportedly plans to do away with that abortion and go back to maplets or something similar. Mapopolis on PPC has always used maplets. It's only the Palm OS5 version that puts everything in the address book. I detest it.

With the older versions, you can use GPS2Maplet, which is actually a better method of dealing with user waypoints. Putting waypoints in the Palm address book is a bad idea. Mapopolis listened to someone who thought it was wonderful, and now realize the problems, because of the complaints from other users, and reportedly plans to do away with that abortion and go back to maplets or something similar. Mapopolis on PPC has always used maplets. It's only the Palm OS5 version that puts everything in the address book. I detest it.

I'd be interested to know how this works. I must say though.. exporting directly to the mapping software from cachemate sounds great. It can't get much simpler than that.

You don't actually export to the mapping software. You export to the Palm address book, and Mapopolis searches the Custom1 field for the lat/lon. You enter the cache name (or part of it) into the Find field in Mapopolis, and it finds the lat/lon. In theory, this works well, but if you export a couple of hundred caches, you wind up with that many entries in your address book, and clearing them out is a PITA. I don't think Cachemate does exports to maplets in OS3 or 4, but I don't know for sure; I've never tried to do it with an older model. I sometimes use an M105 for caching, but I haven't tried to do any exports on it - maybe I should try it sometime. I have never tried to run Mapopolis on the M105, because I don't have enough memory on it. 8MB is really tight for a lot of caches plus Mapopolis, since my home county map is > 6MB alone.

I don't think Cachemate does exports to maplets in OS3 or 4, but I don't know for sure; I've never tried to do it with an older model. I sometimes use an M105 for caching, but I haven't tried to do any exports on it - maybe I should try it sometime.

Allow me to answer that for you. It works up to the point where you tell Mapopolis you would like to find the cache. It doesn't appear to recognize the coordinates from address book. It tells you "please enter a valid address."

I would entertain any ideas to get around this. You say maplets may be the answer. How so?

You would need to read the Mapopolis OS3/4 manual. I don't have an older Palm to try it on, so I don't have access to maplets, because the OS5 version doesn't support them, it uses 'Geomarks' instead, which are simply addressbook entries. You should be aware that Mapopolis has announced that it won't be making any more maps available for any OS prior to OS5 in the future, and the development of the program has gone as far as it ever will. Lots of companies seem to be abandoning older OSs, just as Microsoft is abandoning support for older Windows versions. Time moves on, and things become obsolete.

I use Mapopolis on my PocketPC. I tried MS Streets and Trips once, but it was too slow to be usable when the map was stored to my SD card. The map needed to be in RAM in order to get any decent panning/zooming speed.

Mapopolis has no such problem. I have about 20MB of contiguous counties all stored on my SD card. Mapopolis can load them all up and lets me zoom and pan with no performance problems whatsoever.

The Mapopolis makers also have a free GpxToMaplet utility they which will covert a .gpx file into a 'maplet' (.mlp) file which can be used to see all the cache waypoints of your pocketquery in Mapololis.

My one and only gripe with Mapopolis is there's no way to specify how much street detail you want for a given zoom level. As you zoom higher and higher, it hides more and more streets. So if you're zoomed high enough such that you can see both 'point A' and point 'B' on the screen at the same time, you often can't tell if there are any roads that easily connect the two together.

Edited by Jeeters
My one and only gripe with Mapopolis is there's no way to specify how much street detail you want for a given zoom level. As you zoom higher and higher, it hides more and more streets. So if you're zoomed high enough such that you can see both 'point A' and point 'B' on the screen at the same time, you often can't tell if there are any roads that easily connect the two together.

There's a More Detail (+) and Less Detail (-) at the bottom of the screen on my PPC that controls what you want to do. I also assign these functions to two of the hardware buttons so I can control it more easily. I assign the other two buttons to Zoom In and Zoom Out.

ISTR that someone has made the .mlp files work on a Palm by simply renaming them to .pdb. I may be recalling incorrectly though, so I take no responsibility for what happens. I'll try to poke around the Mapopolis forum on GPSPassion and see what I can find.

Edit: The Mapopolis manual, which explains how to use maplets, is here.

Instructions on converting .gpx to .mlp is here.

Mapopolis for OS3/4 does search the address book, so the Cachemate export should work there also.

Edited by NightPilot
Mapopolis for OS3/4 does search the address book, so the Cachemate export should work there also.

This is from the readme file for Map. Export:

"MapopolisExport 1.0

Mapopolis export plugin for CacheMate

This plugin allows exporting of waypoints to Mapopolis for Palm OS 5.0 and

later"

I was successful in renaming the .mlp to .pdb and it hot-synced to my palm. I could even detect the file in my directory. But no where did it show up in mapopolis. Back to square 1!

Thanks for checking though. It looks like I'll have to invest in new hardware in order to geocache w/maps. I may look into getting Street Atlas down the road.

There's a More Detail (+) and Less Detail (-) at the bottom of the screen on my PPC that controls what you want to do.

Doh! For some iditiotic reason, I'd never tried those before. Works great! Thanks.