Northwest Geocaching History

Moun10Bike

I was putting together a list of historic geocaching dates (see this post) and I thought it would be fun to do the same for the northwestern states. So, I did. Below are the first caches of each type in our beautiful states (note that there might be errors if cache types were changed somewhere along the way).

Let me know if you see any errors!

Oregon

Washington

Idaho

Alaska

Montana

Wyoming

Edited by Moun10Bike

Wow, I had no idea that I placed the first multi in Idaho! Very cool. That cache was also the first one I placed, and I suspect may be the longest distance required on a multi in Idaho as well. (about 90 miles)

Thanks for the info Jon. It could be fun to try to do all the firsts (excluding events and non-existing) in all the neighboring states. I have done all but two in Idaho (non event). Does that mean that I am an old timer in caching?

I was surprised at some of the results, too. I was pleasantly surprised to see "The Odyssey" show up as Idaho's first multi - what a great adventure that was with Wiz, Don and snowghost!

I also just realized that I technically had the first unknown cache in Washington - my "The Bluff" cache hidden on March 31, 2001 was originally that type. However, the last stage of it was plundered before ever found, so I converted it to a traditional early on. That's sort of like backing into position, so I'll leave KAH TAI SURPRISE in that slot.

Let's not forget December 28, 2002 for the first Travisl Cache Machine!

Thanks for reminding me! I had meant to include that in my timeline in the post in the General Forums, but I forgot. That's not only an important piece of northwest history, but also an important piece of general geocaching history!

I thing Kah Tai was the first micro, but I don't think it was really a mystery type cache.

Back when first introduced, the "unknown" category was pretty vague. It has since come to mostly mean puzzle caches, or any caches in which the posted coordinates are not the location of a waypoint. Was KAH TAI always listed as an unknown?

KAH TAI was definitely not the first micro in the state, though - my Comstock Micro was hidden on March 31, 2001 and I don't think it was the first.

Let's not forget December 28, 2002 for the first Travisl Cache Machine!
{link added}

Thanks for reminding me! I had meant to include that in my timeline in the post in the General Forums, but I forgot. That's not only an important piece of northwest history, but also an important piece of general geocaching history!

If you consider them significant parts of geocaching history (I'm not sure I do), you might also want to note 9/27/03 as the first interstate cache machine and 6/26 and 6/27/04 as the first multi-day cache machine.

Hmmm. I don't know why Blue's Clues is listed as a virtual. The very first log talks about folks trading stuff.

Maybe the type was changed at some point.

I figured that that would be the case with some of those. During the first year, cache types were not as significant as they are now, so my early records do not track them. Blue's Clues is currently listed as a virtual but apparently wasn't originally, and was changed somewhere along the way.

If you consider them significant parts of geocaching history (I'm not sure I do), you might also want to note 9/27/03 as the first interstate cache machine and 6/26 and 6/27/04 as the first multi-day cache machine.

This might not count for the list, but it seems like an innovative first for WA -

Anacortes Audio Log

I think it would be cool to have a history page on the WSGA site chronicling these things!

Earthcaches have been around for millenia. GC is just finally getting with the program and listing them. By the way, way up here in BC we listed our first two on 1-14-05

Black Tusk Earthcache

The Barrier Earthcache.

That's nearly a month before Oregon although in Geologic time it's pretty insignificant. Also we now have a total of 6 listed within the province. :)

Now if you want to really talk about the oldest cache we are going to have to go back a ways. :)

For you Earthache challenged states we now have one here that you can see from Washington but you'll have to cross the border to log it. Check out:

White Rock Earthcache :)

This list brings back memories, particularly of the Kalakala Kid event cache. I did not yet have a gps receiver so I went to where the map said, sat on a bench, and waited for someone with a gps to show up! I believe the first geocacher I ever met was EraSeek. That was a great day, meeting other cachers for the first time. If those of you who were there remember, we signed a paper plate, and I had everyone sign a second paper plate too. Which I still have, so if we ever start a WSGA archives...... :P