London Cachers Where Are You?

Please stick your name on this thread if you are interested in a meet in London in November. One of the Thursdays is the favourite (for me, and I'm organising it!), so it doesn't interfere with our weekends :blink:

------

Original Mail

Hi,

I was just wondering (or is it wandering?!), is there a resource for London Geocachers? Specifically the ones living and working in the London area. I am getting well into squeezing a cache search, either in my lunch hour, or after work (I work in Canary Wharf, so I'm never more than 20 minutes away from one it seems :lol: ).

Perhaps a Geocache event is more appropriate to get everyone together, but London is such a big place (the biggest in England I understand!), maybe we could start a forum of our own. Can people let me know what they think?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by richard_hawkes

Omally, Motley Crew and me were in London at the weekend. We'd just done this cache and were sitting in the pub just across the road talking about exactly the same thing... an event in 'The Smoke'. As it happens, the pub we were in was huge... served truly excellent beer (as you would expect from a Fullers 'Ale & Pie' pub) and was almost empty. A quick word with the bar staff determined that this was the usual state of affairs for a Sunday as there is no residential stuff in the area and apart from the 'odd' tourist, the pub stays pretty much empty. There are more caches within walking distance than you can shake a stick at and we thought it would make an excellent 'bash' venue.

Trouble is.... it's just a bit off our home turf to organise but I'd certainly try to get to an event there (or anywhere else in London, come to that.)

OK, I'm getting the impression a meet might be in order! For me, it would be a weekday evening, as I work in London. Thursdays are always popular aren't they? I guess Mid November? Thoughts?

I work in Canary Wharf, and the pub you suggested Pharisee sounds excellent because it's near Bank, and would indeed count as a FREE CACHE for many as well :anibad: .

OK, well, we've got four interested. I reckon if we can get 10+ interested, we've got ourselves an event! Reply to this thread please if you're interested too!

Cheers

Richard

Edited by richard_hawkes
OK, I'm getting the impression a meet might be in order! For me, it would be a weekday evening, as I work in London. Thursdays are always popular aren't they? I guess Mid November? Thoughts?

Thursdays not great for me. Supposed to be our rehearsal night, even though it hasn't happened for 3 months, sod's law would be that the rehearsal would happen on the week you chose and I would be the guilty party.

I suppose it depends on whether it's just a meet, or some form of bash, which would point to a Sunday.

I work just around the corner from "A Meating Place for Martyrs" so I'd be up for a pint or two with like minded drinkers. No one understands my need to find tupperware with advanced military hardware.

The "16th Century Pub" (which I won't name in case it gives too much away) is pretty cramped at the best of times, but the upstairs room can be booked for free during weeknights if there's a reasonable crowd. I'd be happy to sort that out if there's enough interest.

Either way, count me in!

Well that sounds promising :anibad: Can you find out what the minimum is? Looks like we've got at least a dozen (today!), but invariably people drop out don't they.

Eckington, is there any chance you could get a list of users with "London" in their location? Loads of people might be interested who don't check the forums, or might miss it on the calendar. What do you think?

Thanks guys. I'm beginning to wonder what serious geocachers look like ! I've heard stories that you guys have three heads... Is this true?

Hey, everyone's welcome! And plus we can give you grief over your election!

Eckington... Who is Jeremy? Excuse my newbie-ness :anibad: Shall I e-mail him, or would you prefer to do it?

I will leave this thread open until Monday, so any weekend checkers can have a look too. Then I'll add the event. Crikey, this is exciting!

Eckington... Who is Jeremy? Excuse my newbie-ness :anibad: Shall I e-mail him, or would you prefer to do it?

.....Jeremy Iryshe is the cheif honcho at gc.com, he runs the show.

I have e-mailed the Reviewer's forum to try and ascertain the answer to this. So far the conscencus is that it cannot be done, but there are a few hours before all the USofA reviewers will have read my query yet!

richard hawkes wrote:

Loads of people might be interested who don't check the forums, or might miss it on the calendar.

This is a list of cachers who have placed or who maintain a cache within 12 miles of the 16th century pub (list extracted from GSAK). I know that some of them don't live in London, but anyone who's placed a cache there just might be interested anyway. Someone's got a lot of emailing to do if you want to contact them all! :o

*bingoboy*

Andreka

Anna and Pat

bignoseduglyguy

bikergs500

Carharty

Chaosbuster

Chris n Maria

Clive'n'Sandra

Daoloth & Tuna

David & Sophie

dryvam1

evilrooster

f650cs

Family-Wood

famous_five

flashj

GeoNozzer

Gorka115

groovygorgon

Halfdan

Hokies

JBK

Jessex

Jo & Andrew

Jonnytuna

Jonnytuna and Daoloth

Jonnytuna Daoloth and Craigster

katgoddess23

kennamatic

kewfriend

kimrobin

Lunchbox

Lushington and Will

Mark Matthew and Christopher

McDeHack

mgrainger

MicroGnomes

MiketheFiddler

Nick & Ali

Nick879

nobby.nobbs

Northern Trekker

oompaloompas

OzGuff

paragliderboy

perthos

Family-Wood

Learned Gerbil

redshift

RiggsFamily

ronst

Scotty

Simply Paul

Snowpup

Sophie

Tadcaster Valentino

TattoodGuy

team mulgrave

The Artful Dodger

the flashcat!

The Hornet

The Swede & Turnip

The Wombles

The*Doctor

tomcatuk

Tree Hugger

Tuna and Daoloth

Learned Gerbil wrote:

A highly innaccuriate list I think. perthos lives in California for example.

Of course it's inaccurate, just as a list of cachers with London in their location would be, as it would include cachers in, for example, London Ontario. Using any list is going to involve someone wading through profile pages.

richard, to summarise so far, we have the following (including maybes)

1) richard_hawkes

2) KiloTwo

3) Beds Clangers

4) kbootb

5) Pharisee

6) Learned Gerbil

7) kitmonster

8) Eckington

9) lordelph

10) Team Madog (after 11th Nov)

11) House Of Boo

12) Belplasca

13) Beds Clangers

I'll sure there will be a few more, and as long as the turnout doesn't get much above 25/30 the little room above "16th Century Pub" will be a cosy meeting point.

Thursday seems a popular day, I called the pub this morning and Thursday 11th November and Thursday 18th November are available. Any preferences folks?

richard, to summarise so far, we have the following (including maybes)

1) richard_hawkes

2) KiloTwo

3) Beds Clangers

4) kbootb

5) Pharisee

6) Learned Gerbil

7) kitmonster

8) Eckington

9) lordelph

10) Team Madog (after 11th Nov)

11) House Of Boo

12) Belplasca

13) Beds Clangers

I'll sure there will be a few more, and as long as the turnout doesn't get much above 25/30 the little room above "16th Century Pub" will be a cosy meeting point.

Thursday seems a popular day, I called the pub this morning and Thursday 11th November and Thursday 18th November are available. Any preferences folks?

Are the 'Beds Clangers' at No. 3 a different Beds Clangers to those at No. 13??

;):o:P:P

Edited by Pharisee

I think the important thing is that we all drink twice as much as we should! Awards given to the best slurring sentence that includes "GPS" !

I will check this boozer out tonight lordelph, obviously ensuring that the alcohol is up to standard :o Am I to assume that Real Ale is a proper Geocachers drink?

Two pints of "Old Groaters Hair" please!

Richard

Although I don't really contribute on the forums I wouldn't mind coming along to meet a few of you. Either date would suit me.

Strangely enough I was in that pub last night when the power failed on the central line. Decided rather than wait at the tube station I might as well wait with a pint in my hand.

I go there regularly and as noted above, the pub and the room upstairs is very small (they don't even have room for the toilets to be inside!!) but it is a cracking place. The only real downside is having to go up and down the extremely steep and narrow staircase every time you need to go to the bar / WC - gets more risky as the night wears on ;)

In addition to the other comments about 16th Century pub, I used to spend more time than I should in there, which is how the cache came about. I've used the upstairs room for a function of about 30, but people had to spill out (literally due to the stairs). The beer used to be quite good.....

I can't join you on the 11th since my 3 conflicting appts are in Birmingham, Watford and Swindon. Have a good time, though, and slurred copies of the answer to the virtual will be allowed on the 12th.

;) I've told my wife about this, and we'll fight off the jet lag and attend if this is on the 11th. As for jokes about the american elections, I'll admit to voting for the winner, or will it be the loser. Who knows? Can't wait for that pint!!!! It'll be interesting to see if this is like our local caching organization. We hold monthly meetings and it's always interesting to see how long we go before the PDAs and GPSrs come out for comparison. Edited by Team Madog

11th works for me. In fact, if it involves beer drinking within walking distance of my office *any* date is good for me.

As for "party" suggestions, might I suggest the evening simply involves getting as intoxicated as possible while extolling the virtues of ones particular choice of GPSr? I'll be bristling with Internet-enabled devices aplenty so live updates from the cache location should be possible. This might make for interesting reading the morning after ;)

I've zedded out my diary for the 11th, I've got a business meeting in the city in the evening. Some pub, 16th century place :anibad: If I get away with it, I look forward to seeing you.

I go there regularly and as noted above, the pub and the room upstairs is very small (they don't even have room for the toilets to be inside!!) but it is a cracking place

- The upstairs toilets are Not on the inside? ;)