New Gps - Help Me Decide

janij00

I've never seen an Explorist; they're a new product.

Here are some comments on the eTrex line, that I'm somewhat familiar with:

* eTrexes are well-built, mostly accurate, although they don't do as well in the forest. Under dense tree cover, an external antenna is the best bet. Even an internal quad-helix antenna often loses signal in the forest, especially in steep canyons or valleys.

* The eTrex Legend is the lowest model in the eTrex lineup that can hold the Garmin MapSource products.

* The eTrex Vista has an electronic compass that works even when you're not moving or can't get a solid signal. Nice feature to have...

My main complaint with the eTrex is the readout. The screen is small, but that's no reason why the coordinate readout should be so ~tiny~. They devote most of the screen area for a graphic showing satellite locations...

A minor eTrex complaint is the buttons. They're scatttered around on the sides of the unit and aren't labeled.

In between the budget eTrex line and the cutting edge 60CS is the GPSMAP76S, something you might consider. It doesn't have all of the toys of the 60CS, but it's a solid unit that'll do anything you need. Quad-helix antenna, can be loaded with Garmin's MapSource products, large easy to read screen, and good "tactile feedback" on the buttons.

Nearly any storebought handheld unit is sufficient for find the campsite or truck at the end of the day. And they'll all get you close to a hidden 6" Rubbermaid container. Some will get you closer than others more often.

Happy Shopping,

Bob

I think THIS ONE is the best choice, because it is very cheap, and you can add memory and mapping at a later time. This GPS, by itself is like an Entry level GPS, and you can buy the memory cards at a later time for saving multiple waypoint and tracklog files to. Then at a later time you can get the TOPO and the Direct Route mapping software, to put maps of your locations on the memory card.

Edited by GOT GPS?