Caching, Hiking And Camping Roadtrip

DeskJocky

I have a four day weekend coming at the end of the month. I was wanting to take a small road trip somewhere to do some caching, hiking and camping. I was looking to try and keep things under a 5 hour drive or so from Pittsburgh. Can anyone give me any suggestions? Here is what I am looking for (not in any order.)

1. Good caches. I'm not into numbers, so two 4.5/4.5s equal about 1000 guide rail micros to me.

2. Great hiking. I'm not that out of shape. So a multinight hike isn't out of the question. Which reminds me, I still need a bearbag...

3. Gotta sleep in a tent. Why spend money on a bed when I have a tent. While I am not against paying for a place to pitch a tent, I wouldn't mind not paying for it. I'll be hiking alone, so a showers are not on the top of the list, would be nice...

4. Safe place to park my car. This is the most important thing to me.

5. Not to get shot at by locals and/or hunters. Being a hunter myself I know the importance of blaze orange. I own it, and will be using it. And yes, I already looked at the new Groundspeak caching vest.

I was seriously considering hiking a part of the AT, but I haven't had time to research that yet. Any suggestions or recomendations?

The Delaware watergap might be a choice. You can do the AT and there are a number of excellent caches in the area. Only problem is that camping must be done at one of the designated camping areas along the AT, but if you're there mid-week it won't be bad.

Or you can hit the AT from further north, near High Point SP and Stokes SF. There is no limitations on camping there that I'm aware of other than the 150 feet from a road, trail or watersource rule.

My purpose is to supplement Brian’s comments on the Delaware Water Gap Area. It is a beautiful area and one of our favorites.

The area is composed of four major administrative areas. They are:

Worthington State Forest

Delaware Water Gap National Recreational Area

Stokes State Forest

High Point State Park

Camping in Worthington and Stokes State Forests are limited to designated campsites. Those in Stokes contain shelters, the single one in Worthington is tenting only. If you have an old map of Worthington if will show two campsites. A few years ago one of the campsites was closed permanently.

In the National Recreational Area camping is permitted only in areas that are more than 0.5 from road access or the boundaries of the national recreational area. Hikers must camp not more that 100 feet from the Trail and not less than 200 feet from any other campsites. Camping is prohibited within 100 feet of any stream or water source. PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE OTHER RULES.

I cannot locate the rules for High Point, but there are AT shelters in this park.

Also of importance right now is damage done by hurricanes in Worthington State Forest and to Old Mine Road. For details please check this NYNJTC site.

Waterboy With Wife

Edited by Waterboy

The Delaware Water Gap is beautiful, but first choice is Harriman State Park in New York. Harriman, unfortunately, is a little further from Pittsburgh. A little over a six hour drive. But please read some of the advantages.

1. Good caches - you will find plenty in Harriman. The Water Gap has enough to keep you busy, but Harriman has more. Incidentally we have hidden two caches in Harriman and three in the Gap areas.

2. Great Hiking – The layout of Harriman is such that it permits more loop hikes than the Gap. Oh, about your bearbag. In the Gap there is plenty of evidence that bears are around. I can never remember seeing any evidence of bears in Harriman, although I have heard of bear sitings from reliable sources.

3. Gotta sleep in a tent – There are a number of shelters in Harriman. Please check out caches by brian b. He has a series of “Shelters of Harriman” caches.

4. Safe place to park my car – I guess either Harriman or the Gap are as safe as any. I personally have never had problems.

5. Not to get shot at – There is no hunting in Harriman. If anyone knows of a larger area anywhere in this country that has caches and does not permit hunting, please let me know. Harriman with connecting Bear Mountain Park include over 50,000 acres of land.

6. AT – It does pass through Harriman, but a considerably short length that that in the Gap area.

An additional note – If you are looking for hiking caches, every cache we have hid or will ever hide require a minimum of a four mile round trip hike.

Waterboy With Wife

Letchworth State Park in western NY is only about 5hrs from Pitt...

I think there are now 32 or 33 active caches in the park alone. Types, difficulties and terrain ratings run the gamit (sp?) from 1/1 to 4.5/4.5, from micros to small containers, to ammo cans, and custom containers...

Short easy, scenic hikes, to longer scenic adventures....

There are also MANY excellent caches around the park.

Camping is available at 5 different areas in the park, from RV, tent or even cabin camping.

There is an affiliated company that offers balloon rides over the gorge, as well as another that runs rafting excursions thru the gorge.

The park also offers nature hikes thru some of the most scenic/interesting areas of the park....(several of the caches are along the same trails you would use to get to the caches on...)

This is all on the Genesee river...

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/cgi-bin/cgiwra...s/parks.cgi?p+8

http://www.westernny.com/letch.html

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/countryman/hik_wny2.htm

Just a few links...

Of course, my opinion is biased, since I grew up roaming around the back of the park, and now live across the street from it... ;)

Oh yeah, you can ask Keystone Approver what he thought of his little excursion to Letchworth...I think he is from around Pitt, so he might be able to give you detailed driving directions and estimated travel times, stops on the way, etc...

Edited by Cracker.

How about 3 hours from Pittsburgh? I would suggest to you the Warren County Area. Lots of caches here.....TONS of good hikes available. You can hit a lot of micros in town, but then head out to the hills and hike/climb/etc.

Everything is inexpensive here. Beautiful scenery. Amazing caches and friendly cachers, should you run into us.

How about 3 hours from Pittsburgh? I would suggest to you the Warren County Area. Lots of caches here.....TONS of good hikes available. You can hit a lot of micros in town, but then head out to the hills and hike/climb/etc.

Everything is inexpensive here. Beautiful scenery. Amazing caches and friendly cachers, should you run into us.

I've been caching in the Warren area a few times. I love it. I've been going to the ANF for about 15 years. Some of my best caching memories have been in this area. Last year I showshoed from the gate outside Rim Rock to log Corn Planter's Cave. That wasn't an easy feet considering the almost three feet of snow on the ground.

The Delaware Water Gap is beautiful, but first choice is Harriman State Park in New York.  Harriman, unfortunately, is a little further from Pittsburgh.  A little over a six hour drive.  But please read some of the advantages.

1. Good caches - you will find plenty in Harriman.  The Water Gap has enough to keep you busy, but Harriman has more.  Incidentally we have hidden two caches in Harriman and three in the Gap areas.

2. Great Hiking – The layout of Harriman is such that it permits more loop hikes than the Gap.  Oh, about your bearbag.  In the Gap there is plenty of evidence that bears are around.  I can never remember seeing any evidence of bears in Harriman, although I have heard of bear sitings from reliable sources.

3. Gotta sleep in a tent – There are a number of shelters in Harriman.  Please check out caches by brian b.  He has a series of “Shelters of Harriman” caches.

4. Safe place to park my car – I guess either Harriman or the Gap are as safe as any.  I personally have never had problems.

5. Not to get shot at – There is no hunting in Harriman.  If anyone knows of a larger area anywhere in this country that has caches and does not permit hunting, please let me know.  Harriman with connecting Bear Mountain Park include over 50,000 acres of land.

6. AT – It does pass through Harriman, but a considerably short length that that in the Gap area.

An additional note – If you are looking for hiking caches, every cache we have hid or will ever hide require a minimum of a four mile round trip hike.

Waterboy With Wife

Harriman requires that you camp in, or near the shelters. Depending when you go, you may encounter crowds. Last time I passed one there were as many as 30 tents pitched around the shelter, thansk to a Boy Scou outing.

That being said, I've backpacked there for years and never stayed near a shelter. For the first 15 years or so I didn't even know it was illegal. Not to encourage illegal activity, but if you camp out of sight of the trails, nobody will bother you.

I think Harriman would be pushing closer to 6 hours from Pitt, but there are a LOT of caches there.

Edited by briansnat

I will gladly endorse the Letchworth State Park area as a worthy destination; a cache there is on my all-time best list, and I plan to return to pick up some of the others I haven't done. It is one gorgeous gorge with beautiful facilities, great trails and rugged terrain.

Nobody has spoken up yet about West Virginia! DJ, I know you've enjoyed caches in Northern WV. Have you considered heading further south, into the National Forest in the eastern part of the State (where you can find the AT) or further west into coal country? There is some rugged terrain and great caches there. And it's a much easier drive from where you live.

Finally, in Pennsylvania, don't stop looking at Appalachian Trail caches when you hit the southwesternmost cache by Waterboy With Wife. There are tons of caches all along the AT, including many hidden in State Forests and State Parks with permits. Plenty of tent camping available along the way, in addition to AT shelters. I'd scout out all the way into Maryland, where you'll see caches like Lakeview from 1700 (hidden with full knowledge and support from the local AT stewards) and Annapolis Rocks Library (another entry on my top 5% list). I have cache lists available as well as other specific recommendations if you're interested.

I finially got some free time and was able to research everyone's suggestions a little more in detail. I was very impressed with what I saw at Harriman and the Delaware Water Gap areas. I know that my first road trip in the spring will be to Harriman. I just found out that I will be an hour south of Pittsburgh for training the day I work before my time off. So that extra hour kills those suggestions.

I had planned on leaving after work and driving to the area and camping for the night before my time off. This is another reason why I wanted to hike along the AT, I can legally camp on SGL. Well, as long as I am more then 500 feet from any stream, spring or public access and less then 200 feet off the trail.

I've been considering the Cove Mountain area near Harrisburg. I've always wanted to do the Cove Mountain Twenty Dollar Cache.

Thanks to Lep I am now looking into Maryland and West Virginia. I never considered WV when thinking about this trip. Do you have a few suggestions for West Viginia along the AT?

I am hoping to have my evenings free the rest of the week so I can do some more planning. I would have so much more free time if I didn't have to work.

My 2 cents:

I just got back from Letchworth. The park is beautiful (past colors now) and is great for hiking, geocaching on the other hand is difficult. Since you have to keep driving and grabbing... there are also 5 trails marked #2 ---- pick at your own risk!!!!

Harriman is a wonderful park but in my experience they are not very friendly with regards to camping near parking lots etc. You have to be within eyesight of a shelter, (apparently).

Both have great upsides depending on your preferences.

Congratulations DeskJockey.

We read your write-up on the two Cove Mountain caches. Glad you enjoyed yourself. We agree with your write-up, there should be more caches like these two. Bezabor did a great job hiding these caches.

Waterboy With Wife

I only wish I had more time to stay out there and hike/cache some more. Now that I have gotten my feet wet, I can't wait to go out and do it all over again.

My list of places that I want to go is growing. My only problem is free time.

And thanks again everyone for your suggestions!