Looking Inconspicuous

kitmonster

Only been at this a few days and already having a problem with muggles. Is lurking something you just get better at? :lol:

So what's your technique?

I always carry around lots of camera gear, so that helps. Pop on the macro lens and stare at a tree roots for a bit. Didn't work at 6:30 am in the dark though - might have to resort to getting a dog!

I find 'hiding in plain sight' the best bet.... Suddenly coming across a scruffy ol' git in a camo jacket and funny hat who's walking round in circles and muttering obscenities at the 'phone' he's waving around at arms length is enough to make just about anyone grab their kids, dogs & grandparents, turn around and beat a hasty retreat :lol::(:D

I find 'hiding in plain sight' the best bet.... Suddenly coming across a scruffy ol' git in a camo jacket and funny hat who's walking round in circles and muttering obscenities at the 'phone' he's waving around at arms length is enough to make just about anyone grab their kids, dogs & grandparents, turn around and beat a hasty retreat :blink::lol::o

.........don't forget the larger than average maglite!!!!!!!!!! :o

Where I live and cache you can walk for hours without seeing a single person :blink: It is great all that fresh air and open space :lol: Dont have to worry about searching and getting spotted very often. I did once get approached by a gamekeeper who wondered if I was a poacher :o having a gps and a cache sheet convinced him otherwise and he even offered to help me look :o

used the shoe lace trick more than once. also carry small fold up stool so that i can sit down next to where the cache is. people tend to ignore what you're doing if you're sat down quietly. you can then grab the cache between muggles and likewise put it back.

the nutter trick sometimes works but other times just gets extra attention.

I generally sit and wait in a suitable nearby location until the intruders are gone. Been caught the once and that bloke has turned into a semi-keen cacher.

Off topic:- How I hate that word muggles!! Not all of us feel the need to use words from or read mindless pap children's books (children excepted) that are wholly overmarketed trash coming from the ideal of the Pop Idol "We'll tell you to buy it, so buy it!" culture. My word of choice would be a nonini - an abbreviation of non-initiated.

Off topic:- How I hate that word muggles!! Not all of us feel the need to use words from or read mindless pap children's books (children excepted) that are wholly overmarketed trash coming from the ideal of the Pop Idol "We'll tell you to buy it, so buy it!" culture. My word of choice would be a nonini - an abbreviation of non-initiated.

My middle name is "Nonini"

:anibad:

Off topic:- How I hate that word muggles!!

davester - as a newbie, I've seen lots of threads mentioning muggles but not nonini, and thought that was the normal term for the non-initiated. Is there a glossary around here somewhere?

Oh, I made up nonini. A poor attempt but better than the M word.

oh....mornings..... :anibad:

Off topic:- How I hate that word muggles!! Not all of us feel the need to use words from or  read mindless pap children's books

How do you know they are 'mindless pap' if you haven't read them?

Ignore the hype. These books are actually very good for adults and children.

Muggles is the perfect word, it means in the books non magical folk who know nothing of magic. Replace magic with geocacher and it fits perfectly. To do a "Delia" , "deja vu" etc are all words that move away from there original use. Try a google search on muggle its used in lots of ways.

This seems to be a standard.......here........I must admit on my forray to HP, GP and STJsP in the summer I dropped the same handful of change under park benches about a dozen times (and lost a quid in the process :lol:  :huh:  :anibad: )

Eckington - you might want to read the

latest log - bit worrying!

Hi kitmonster, it was reading Simply Paul's log that reminded me, and then I read the Grockles' comments about shoe lace tying somewhere and the two sort of gelled ;):P:D

Off topic:- How I hate that word muggles!! My word of choice would be a nonini - an abbreviation of non-initiated.

I'm sure that you meant well, but this would seem to imply that the initiated are ninnies. ;)

Even further off topic: Your word reminded me of the Iroquois word "ondinnonk". This roughly translates as the soul's innermost benevolent desires. Think of the natural goodness of children before they are corrupted by adults. :o

I thought I'd recount my experience of this morning which was the closest I've ever come to being caught red-handed, although I wasn't actually geocaching at the time.

I'd been to my GP for a flu jab and the doc had told me to take a seat for five minutes in case of a reaction. Well I wasn't stopping there was I? The place was full to the gills with folk waiting for their jabs, or worse still, SICK people.

So I went off to the park over the road for a 5 minute short walk. I suddenly remembered Ray Mears' book on outdoor survival and, in particular, the chapter on making rope out of nettles. As luck would have it there was a stand of nettles by the path of what was otherwise a well manicured and presentable urban park (funny that!).

I decided to take just half a dozen stems to work on at home. The problem was harvesting them without getting stung. As luck would have it someone had dropped a magnum wrapper on the path (they're helpful like that in Wolverhampton), so I used this to strip the stems of leaves and stingy bits.

This was when I looked up to find a young mum pushing a pram along the path with a toddler in tow. The mum was trying not to look but had that look on her face which said "dont look him in the eye and we might get out of this". The toddler had not yet learnt such subtleties and was staring at me like I was part of the cast of tellytubbies.

What could I do? Clearly the shoelace trick wasn't appropriate this time. and a long explanation about Ray Mears might, I thought, only make things worse. still, no harm done... at least she wouldn't be returning to find someone's hidden cache. I picked up my nettles and walked back to the car in silence.

Incidentally, I worked on the nettles this afternoon in front of the golf on TV. It makes excellent, exceptionally strong cordage.

This may be a little off-topic but you started it!

Aisledog

Muggles is the perfect word, it means in the books non magical folk who know nothing of magic. Replace magic with geocacher and it fits perfectly. To do a "Delia" , "deja vu" etc are all words that move away from there original use.

I don't like the word Muggles either, but it seems to have been (almost) universally accepted so not really much I can do... I would rather we had our own word, not one stolen from a tedious series of books...

Deja vu means already seen, whats doing a Delia??

Anyway, to try and stay on topic, we got busted by the police once. Very near heathrow pulling an ammo box out of the trees. We explained, they asked for it to be removed, the rest is history. The funniest bit was when they were looking at my car and said "You have to admit it looks a bit suspicious with all those wires" meaning my gps aerial on the roof, "all what wires?" I replied, to which the officer sheepishly pointed to the single visible wire and said "Erm, that one"

hi

just thought of a new rouse to eliminate muggles from a busy muggle area. How many time are you walking through the streets and are accosted by a market reasearcher most people keep there eyes open and walk in the opposite direction. so all you have to do is walk around with a clip born and a look on your face that says i want to ask you a few (hahaha) questions. garunteed to make a 100yard exclusion zone around were you are. i should kow my wife has been doing market reasearch for about 13 years. also if i am going to a childrens play ground i take my son with me and push him on the swings for a while and then let him play on the slide while i search around for the cache . this always takes the heat of me as everyone stairs at him maybe because hes 18 years old and 6ft 2in but he enjoys a little father son bonding lol

cheers

BountyHunter1 <_<

Off topic:- How I hate that word muggles!!  My word of choice would be a nonini - an abbreviation of non-initiated.

I'm sure that you meant well, but this would seem to imply that the initiated are ninnies. :)

Even further off topic: Your word reminded me of the Iroquois word "ondinnonk". This roughly translates as the soul's innermost benevolent desires. Think of the natural goodness of children before they are corrupted by adults. :)

I would be surpised to find that you are a parent yourself Cholo :P

Kids have absolutely no morals whatsoever....this is the reason we as parents have the devil of a job instilling them in the first place :)

And look at the the fairy stories and what really makes kids laugh....The Simpsons kids are just so close to the truth!

Also, the reason the movie Lord of the Flies hits home so effectively is because we all suspect deep down that if kids were left to rule the roost....it would be like letting the fox among the chickens <_<

There is no such animal as 'the natural goodness of children?....believe me...and I have raised five....hopefully a credit to their parents eager attempts to instill some apparently 'unnatural' goodness into them :):D:P

Ullium.

Yep .... there might be something in what you say SP :P

I can remember when the kids were very wee...gee they really were good enough to eat...afterwards when the got a bit older....I began to wish I had <_<

Just joking of course....I love them all to bits....(no...not the more bits the better SP :) ).

Ullium.

Not sure where this is going but, for those who have children here is something to make you chuckle:

GOD CREATED CHILDREN

Whenever your children are out of control, you can take comfort from the thought that even God's omnipotence did not extend to His own children.

After creating heaven and earth, God created Adam and Eve and the first thing he said was "DON'T!"

"Don't what?" Adam replied.

"Don't eat the forbidden fruit." God said.

"Forbidden fruit? We have forbidden fruit? Hey Eve, we have forbidden fruit!!!!!"

"No Way!"

"Yes way!"

"Do NOT eat the fruit!" said God.

"Why?"

"Because I am your Father and I said so!" God replied, wondering why He hadn't stopped creation after making the elephants. A few minutes later, God saw His children having an apple break and He was ticked!

"Didn't I tell you not to eat the fruit?" God asked.

"Uh huh," Adam replied.

"Then why did you?" said the Father.

"I don't know," said Eve.

"She started it!" Adam said

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

"DID NOT!"

Having had it with the two of them, God's punishment was that Adam and Eve should have children of their own.

Thus the pattern was set and it has never changed

Even further off topic: Your word reminded me of the Iroquois word "ondinnonk". This roughly translates as the soul's innermost benevolent desires. Think of the natural goodness of children before they are corrupted by adults. :lol:

Can we begin to see why this is an Iroquois word and not an English word? Believe me, the Iroquois learned soon enough about the English.

Even further off topic: Your word reminded me of the Iroquois word "ondinnonk". This roughly translates as the soul's innermost benevolent desires. Think of the natural goodness of children before they are corrupted by adults.  :lol:

Can we begin to see why this is an Iroquois word and not an English word? Believe me, the Iroquois learned soon enough about the English.

Whew! I'm glad the Scots were apparently 'inconspicuous' in the Iroquois eyes :(

Ullium.

Only had to use this one once but its a goodie.

There is a micro cache in the Southamton City Centre Parks. Shoppers pass with in feet of it every minute. So we hunted for it for best part of an hour, with out a result, because we just couldnt get stuck in. :lol:

We came back the next day, but this time my son aged 4 held in his hand......

Wait for it ....... ;) a Tennis Racket with the rehearsed phrase 'have you found the ball yet dad' ;););)

Cache found in minutes. Try it, it works wonders.

Only had to use this one once but its a goodie.

There is a micro cache in the Southamton City Centre Parks. Shoppers pass with in feet of it every minute. So we hunted for it for best part of an hour, with out a result, because we just couldnt get stuck in. :lol:

We came back the next day, but this time my son aged 4 held in his hand......

Wait for it ....... ;) a Tennis Racket with the rehearsed phrase 'have you found the ball yet dad' ;););)

Cache found in minutes. Try it, it works wonders.

:o This has got to be the best one to fool muggles and could get you arrested:

While I was out doing Worsbrough Country Park Deca-cache I was all set to open the cache when an elderly gent walked past me and without even realising my stance he uttered the words and I quote "when tha's got to go..." and carried on his merry way, I then had a quick recap on my position and noticed my back was turned away from the pathway facing the woodland clutching this tupperware box as close to me as I possibly could get!! Hence the reasons of this guys sentence. So I reckon this beats tying laces and looking for lost dogs!