Whats The Best Way To

The Hotdog
Followers 0

I have been thinking about it for awhile and when I saw this forum I thought hey maybe I can get some good info here. I would like to know if there is a web site I could go to to find out what's on the test what I need to know to get a General class License.

Thanks. :lol:

Edited by mudcat290

Try this tutorial.

It should give you a good idea of what the test covers and have the answers to the tech questions. The testing areas are consistant for the three written exams, just more detailed as you go up.

Take practice tests until you feel confident.

When you consistantly get scores in the 90s on these practice tests you should have no problem passing the actual test. These practice tests show you the correct answer and the basis for it, so you can learn along the way.

Download this Morse COde tutor. Since you want to be a General, learn Morse Code at 5 words per minute (that is one letter every three seconds!).

You can either copy solid for at least a minute, or answer at least 7 out of 10 questions relating to a typical ham radio exchange sent in morse code. The software linked above prepares practice tests of the type used in actual morse code examinations.

Find an exam session near you...

Please note that you have the option of getting your Technician license first, and then studying more before going after General. You may also take as many exams as you want in one session and go straight to General or Extra.

Don't worry too much about any one area of the test (e.g. memorizing band charts, etc.). The questions will be a programmed mix from several catagories. you should only have one or two questions on each topic.

Check this link for more information.

For even more information, try here.

You might also search for a ham radio club near you.

And if you still have any questions, or to report your success, please come back to this forum. We try to be helpful...

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

Download this Morse COde tutor.  Since you want to be a General, learn Morse Code at 5 words per minute (that is one letter every three seconds!).

You can either copy solid for at least a minute, or answer at least 7 out of 10 questions relating to a typical ham radio exchange sent in morse code.  The software linked above prepares practice tests of the type used in actual morse code examinations.

Hi I was just wondering how I can get the morse code tutor working.

Do you have to decode it by memory or can you have a code key to decode it with.

or do have to decode it at all. so all I have to do is write it down? :o

You have to decode it. You can't write the dits and dahs. When I took my tech, the guys who were taking the code were told this explicitly by the VE.

You can just write the answers to the questions, but the back up to the questions is the one minute of solid copy. If they can find that, you can pass even if you didn't get the required number of questions correct.

can I write it down then use a decoder key to decode it or do I hav to do decode it from memory?

You will not be allowed to use anything but a pencil (or pen) and paper. You will have to copy by ear and write the characters. Then you will be given the writen test.

If you spend a little time and learn the basic character set by ear, it is very easy to copy at 5 words per minute. A standard word is 5 letters, so you are looking at one letter every three seconds.

If use a tutorial program or CD, it usually takes about three weeks to get to 5 to 7 words per minute. This is assuming 30 minutes of practice per day. (Most people recommend not practicing more than that to start.)

There are no short cuts, you do have to actually learn the code. The good news is, most people don't have much trouble learning the code when they try.

You might want to think about getting a Technician license first, which doesn't require code. You can use all modes of operation, but not on the frequency bands below 50MHz. Basically you can't use the bands that will skip around the world. If you get a tech license, you can use some of the most popular ham bands and modes (voice of various types, repeaters, packet, slow-scan and full motion video, other digitals modes, amateur satellites, etc.). Then, you can work on learning code and upgrading yoru license.

Unless you have a specific need for the HF bands right now, this is an easy way to get on the air while studying.

Dave_W6DPS

Thanks this is a lot of help.

But I was wondering how to get the mose code tutor running on my pc?

and the $12 for the test does it only cover one test or can I try for all three and if I pass written exam for all three and fail the morse code can I sturdy more on the morse code and come back and pass the morse code test and be upgraded to extra or do I have to take the other two test again. can I keep the tech if I pass it and fail the others? and can I write down the morse code and then decode? ;)

Thanks this is a lot of help.

But I was wondering how to get the mose code tutor running on my pc?

and the $12 for the test does it only cover one test or can I try for all three and if I pass written exam for all three and fail the morse code can I sturdy more on the morse code and come back and pass the morse code test and be upgraded to extra or do I have to take the other two test again. can I keep the tech if I pass it and fail the others? and can I write down the morse code and then decode? ;)

DEPENDING on the VE's schedule, a 12 dollar fee is required to take the exam. In that timeblock (if your VE says so), you can take all the exams at one time for $12, theoretically.

That assumes you pass the tech, the code, and the General and Amateur Extra exams all at the same time. This feat has been accomplished.

A common thing is to study for the tech and take the written for the General class after you pass the tech exam. If you pass the General, you have 365 days to take the code without retesting for anything else.

(Most people take the Tech exam, then you are good for 10 years and can move up to the general as your interest dictates.)

can I write it down then use a decoder key to decode it or do I hav to do decode it from memory?

You don't WANT to write down the dots and dashes and decode it, anyway. Don't get into that habit.

That's the wrong way to learn, because then you add an extra step. IF you do that, you have to first mentally translate audio sounds to visual dots and dashes, THEN you have to translate the dots and dashes to letters. You might be able to pull that off at 5wpm, but you won't go much faster. The correct way is to just translate the rhythm of the sounds to letters, and eventually whole words, just like any spoken language.

A common thing is to study for the tech and take the written for the General class after you pass the tech exam.  If you pass the General, you have 365 days to take the code without retesting for anything else. 

What would happen if I try to take the morse code test and fail. Do I still have a year to pass the cw test.