Trl Caching Through The Snow - December 4th

Team Rampant Lion

I've just submitted a post for an event cache for December 4th called TRL Caching Through The Snow. While we'll end up at my favorite restaurant - the historic Kroghs Brewpub for the event, I'm hoping to make a day of it.

For those who are interested, we can start earlier in the day for a bit of cache hunting. While there are a lot of local cache circuits we could do, many are on WMA property and this is in the thick of hunting season (possible bear hunting season, if it happens at all) so I'm thinking of other options.

I'm targeting a fun competition circuit of temporary caches (sorry no smilies but prizes) if I can work it out with the Kittatinny SP Super. As the title implies, I'm counting on snow (which we usually have no shortage of) so maybe we'll involve sleds or skis. I may call on some of my creative Sussex Co. Cachers to help me come up with ideas.

In the late afternoon, we can head over to the Weihnachtsmarket (German Christmas Market) for some hot wine :lol: , sausages :( and Omp-paa music :D . Finally reaching the event in the evening.

As I know this time of the year books up fast, I wanted to get the date out now so you can let me know how it fits. Certainly kids are invited for this one. Hope you can join for some holiday fun.

I am marking my calander but may have to miss out on the earlier activities due to the fact that my husbands family xmas party is that day. But since it usually ends early afternoon I can probably catch up with you guys for the later event. I'm so torn do you think I could catch cachitis that day, or do you think someone will figure it out :anitongue:

For those who are interested, we can start earlier in the day for a bit of cache hunting. While there are a lot of local cache circuits we could do, many are on WMA property and this is in the thick of hunting season (possible bear hunting season, if it happens at all) so I'm thinking of other options.

You're in the clear as far as hunting season. Shotgun/firearm deer season doesn't start until Dec. 6th. Bow hunting is over by then and muzzleloader dates don't include the 4th.

Turkey season is over by then and I don't think the bear seasonis going to happen.

The only hunting seasons that will be in progress in NJ on the 4th are rabbit, woodchuck, pheasant and quail. I don't think they are nearly as popular as deer season though. Unfortunately those of you who like to walk around in woodchuck costumes, should probably leave them home.

Edited by briansnat
The only hunting seasons that will be in progress in NJ on the 4th are rabbit, woodchuck, pheasant and quail. I don't think they are nearly as popular as deer season though. Unfortunately those of you who like to walk around in woodchuck costumes, should probably leave them home.

I tend to lurk around here, but this required an answer, so ....

Phesant Season runs to Dec 4, then picks up again on the 16th.

I hunt Pheasant

As do LOADS of other people

Dec 4 is a stocking day

Therefore expect a lot of hunters afield on Dec 4, in all stocked WMA areas. However having said that, most fields are hunted out by 1:00 PM. Hunting starts at sunrise and technicaly is open until 1/2 hour after sunset, but most people are gone by 1:00. Anybody after 1:00 is usualy up in the hardwoods as all birds have been pushed out of the fields.

So, if you do it, wear orange. Better yet do it on a Sunday. Phesant stocking days are most Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays during season.

One good thing is its a lot harder to be mistaken for a flying bird than for a deer, but idiots do abound so caution is the watchword.

-dave

I've just submitted a post for an event cache for December 4th called TRL Caching Through The Snow. While we'll end up at my favorite restaurant - the historic Kroghs Brewpub for the event, I'm hoping to make a day of it.

Um maybe it would help posting information on where the restaurant is so those of us who don't know can determine if we're going...

I've just submitted a post for an event cache for December 4th called TRL Caching Through The Snow.  While we'll end up at my favorite restaurant - the historic Kroghs Brewpub for the event, I'm hoping to make a day of it.

Um maybe it would help posting information on where the restaurant is so those of us who don't know can determine if we're going...

Now that would take all the fun out of it, wouldn't it? :ph34r:

Check the event post [GCKTHP].

The date is set for the TRL Caching Through The Snow Event on Saturday, December 4 in Sparta, NJ. I want to get a sense of who might be up for a few fun geocache competitions in advance?

Competition #1: Dashing Through The Snow For Cache

We can meet at Station Park in Sparta (parking coordinates N41 02.861; W074 37.533) at around noon. I will set up a series of caches (4-6); some real, some temporary. Teams would then race around the circuit for the fastest time. Prizes for the first, second and third teams. There are three caches already in the park:

TRL Pain in the Cache #1

TRL Kids Cache

One More For The Kids (Tick Magnets)

I will add 1-2 new real ones tomorrow. So far, they are all very family friendly but I might add a challenging one to spice things up. If you haven't done these caches, hold off so you can rack up a few smilies for the day.

Competition #2: Best Holiday GeoTrack Drawing

We will square off an area (approximately 0.2 x 0.2 miles). You will be asked to clear the track on your GPS. Using your GPS screen, you will have 20 minutes (30 minutes?) to "draw" a holiday image by walking within the boundaries of the square. Best image wins! Since everyone will be sharing the same square at the same time, it will be fun to watch.

Competition #3: Best Holiday Geocaching Outfit

Think Santa hats, antlers, bells! Best one wins!

I'm working with Magellan to see if they might spring a few fun premiums into the mix. Otherwise, I'll make up a few awards for the day.

Who's up for it? :(

Competition #3: Best Holiday Geocaching Outfit

Think Santa hats, antlers, bells!  Best one wins!

Although the big guns don't start shooting until Dec. 6, you still might want to wait until you're at the Weihnachtsmarket to wear your antlers. ;)

I'm keeping the most of the cache hunt competition in a public park so your deer suits and antlers should be ok :P .

Of course I was thinking of placing a more challenging one out the back end of the park. That one might leave your white tail a bit exposed :mad: .

You would also have two days to wear your bear suit as they've just approved that hunting season :mad: .

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

I placed three new caches to use in the competition so people who participated could go home with a few smilies. I really wanted to get them submitted so they would be approved in time (as lately it has taken a couple of weeks to approve). But I didn't want them posted to far in advance as I know the competition for FTF is fierce up here. Of course, they were approved in one day (which I greatly appreciate - thanks to the reviewers).

Anyway, if you plan to participate, don't do these as we will use them in the competition.

TRL Brook's Bend

TRL Tangled Web

TRL Sparta ROCKS!

Hope to see you there!

Planning for the Pre-Event Competition is moving ahead nicely. NOTE: The time has changed to 1:00 PM. If you plan to attend, please send me an email and answer the following questions:

1). How many people will be in your "team"?

2). Are there any children (strongly encouraged!)? If so, what are there ages?

3). Have you found any of the caches in Station Park already? If so, how many?

I will use this information to create some race handicaps. The race will be a scramble format. All contestants will race to the same first "cache" location where each team will receive individualized instructions for the next cache they need to find (the handicap). After they find their next cache, each team will be on their own to plan the most efficient sequence to find the remaining caches in the park. In total, the sequence will include 8 caches (5 real, 3 temporary). If you want to strategize in advance, here is a map of the 5 real caches that will be included. Just remember that the 3 temporary caches are there to throw a wrench in the obvious.

There will be prizes but don't get too excited as this is more for fun and bragging rights. This is a great race for the family as the caches in this park are chop full of goodies for kids.

Hope to see you there! :lol:

Final reminder of activities (as I have to run to hide the temporary caches for the pre-event competition today):

Pre-event competition - meet at 1:00 PM at Station Park in Sparta, NJ. Coordinates are N41 02.870 W074 37.493. What's at stake: first ever TRL Caching Through the Snow "trophy", awards for top three, and 5 smilies (if you haven't been here before).

German Christmas Market runs from 12:00 (noon) to 5:00 PM on the (Sparta) Lake Mohawk Boardwalk. Use the same coordinates as the event - N41 01.861 W074 38.427.

Actual TRL Caching Through The Snow Event begins at 5:30 PM at Kroghs Brewpub. Located directly across the street from the German Christmas Market. A table for 22 will be held for our group.

Look forward to seeing everyone today. B)

Team Rampant Lion,

Thank you so much for a wonderful afternoon of caching and a great event to finish up. I really enjoyed the Glitter and Frosty temporary caches (a giant tree ornament and snowman respectively) and most of all the tree-cache with stockings for everyone! It looked brilliant!

Team Rampant Lion you have outdone yourselves, I can see you put alot of time and effort into making this event absolutely awesome.

Thanks,

Avroair :P

Where do I even start...(TRL) This was a great holiday event, You got me into the X-mass spirt....With them temp caches you placed..I got a kick out of all of them..I also loved the stockings with all the things stuffed inside..

Had a great time at the event, had alittle trouble with the parking...I parked a distance away, so I had to use the gps to find my way back to the car at night, I guess that what happens when you just want to find one more cache for the day. But then again, I can never find my car when I go to the local store..

Thanks again, Allez Comp...

And that red light up ball came in handy on the ride home. Just bang it on something and put it on the dashboard and people get out of your way. :P Thanks for a great day.

My cats were at the same time scared to death and fascinated by that ball. I was entertaining them with it and they'd run away, then creep back slowly and watch it. Then I got bored and left and came back half hour later and saw the two of them were still sitting motionless, staring at the ball from a safe distance. The light wasn't even on anymore.

Thanks for a great time TRL!