Picture Map Of Caches Found?

mcon1

a couple months ago i remember seeing a thread where people were posting a map of the US that showed all of the caches they found.

Now that I recently became a paying member, I wanted to try to do that for myself, though I have ran several searches but have not been able to find that thread.

could someone please point me in the right direction, or remind me how you can do that?

thank you!

mcon1

Or if you have Microsoft Streets and Trips, you can enter the cache coordinates and it will put a pin on the map. You can then have the software change the map for display on the web. That's what I do and it works great! Just a suggestion! :lol:

rather than enter the lat. and Lon. into S&T, you can use GSAK to export a data set in S&T format, then import into S&T.

Or if you have Microsoft Streets and Trips, you can enter the cache coordinates and it will put a pin on the map. You can then have the software change the map for display on the web. That's what I do and it works great! Just a suggestion! ;)

after you get all the pushpins on S&T, how can you make it has a webpage that you can send to someone.....I've made it has far as making a webpage, being able to click on a pushpin and see the www.geocaching.com webpage for that cache, but i cant seem to be able to send that page to anyone for them to see.....

after you get all the pushpins on S&T, how can you make it has a webpage that you can send to someone.....

Click on [File]-->[save as Webpage]

I'd never used that option, so I gave it a quick test. This is how it comes out. Pretty neat!

https://umdrive.memphis.edu/jzelazny/www/map.htm

Jamie

[edit] Oops! Fixed non-functional link.

Edited by Jamie Z
rather than enter the lat. and Lon. into S&T, you can use GSAK to export a data set in S&T format, then import into S&T.

I use gpsbabel to convert EasyGPS files to S&T format.

edited to add link

Congratulations, but you are doing an extra step that is not needed. With GSAK, all you need is ONE program :laughing:

edited for spelling stuff

Edited by Cherokeecacher
Congratulations, but you are doing an extra step that is not needed. With GSAK, all you need is ONE program :P

As I've mentioned here before, EasyGPS does all I need and I found GSAK difficult to learn/use. :laughing:

My apologies for not taking the time to read 353 of your posts to familiarize myself with your 3rd party software habits. :o:blink: My original comment was mad a week ago, to the OP not anyone else.

Congratulations, but you are doing an extra step that is not needed. With GSAK, all you need is ONE program :blink:

As I've mentioned here before, EasyGPS does all I need and I found GSAK difficult to learn/use. :laughing:

My apologies for not taking the time to read 353 of your posts to familiarize myself with your 3rd party software habits. :D:P My original comment was mad a week ago, to the OP not anyone else.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you would have seen it. My statement was intended for others who may have be getting weary of me saying it. :o

When I do it I get pushpins. How did you get cache boxes?

Use the custom icon feature... although by using EasyGPS, the pushpins will not show up as links. Notice on my test page, the boxes are actually links to each individual cache. .loc files as EasyGPS use do not contain the URL information necessary to do this.

Jamie

by using EasyGPS, the pushpins will not show up as links. Notice on my test page, the boxes are actually links to each individual cache. .loc files as EasyGPS use do not contain the URL information necessary to do this.

Wrong, Red Rider. :ph34r:;) The push pins on my maps are linked to the appropriate cache pages. It's just the cache box icons I don't have.

Edited by Thot
Wrong, Red Rider. :ph34r:;) The push pins on my maps are linked to the appropriate cache pages.

Hmmm, .loc files from GC.com do not contain URLs. You must be doing something else. What i presume is that you get the .gpx files, and convert them to S&T. To my knowledge, running a .gpx file through EasyGPS will strip the file of "extra" data, including the URL. Perhaps GPSBabel artificially creates the URL column based on the cache ID.

What version S&T do you have?

Jamie

Wrong, Red Rider.  :ph34r:  ;)  The push pins on my maps are linked to the appropriate cache pages.

Hmmm, .loc files from GC.com do not contain URLs.

You might want to download a .loc file from gc.com and look at it in Notepad.

Edited by Thot

Renegade Knight,

that link is exactly what I was looking for!!

Thank you!

And thank you to everyone else who replyed. I have been playing around with the different ideas, trying to see what works the best. And its good to know the different ways to go about it.

Thanks again,

mcon1

ooh, that makes sense now, I didn't know what a "GPSaxophone" was. I thought maybe he was talking about a forum or topic or something. Since I don't spend much time on the forums, I don't know very many of the people on here. Though considering you have over 10,000 posts that search would have taken a while!

But I do want to thank you for the info, I followed your directions and got my map working. :lol: So thank you for taking the time to spell it out! now I just need to add more little red dots to it.

Thanks again,

mcon1

ooh, that makes sense now, I didn't know what a "GPSaxophone" was. I thought maybe he was talking about a forum or topic or something. Since I don't spend much time on the forums, I don't know very many of the people on here. Though considering you have over 10,000 posts that search would have taken a while!

But I do want to thank you for the info, I followed your directions and got my map working. :lol: So thank you for taking the time to spell it out! now I just need to add more little red dots to it.

Thanks again,

mcon1

No problem

BTW, a "GPSaxophone" is a Globally Positioned Saxophone :lol: