Dealing With Cache Owners

Don’t get me wrong, and please don’t use this as a forum for personal attacks. I like geocaching. I like the variety of caches and cache types. I have no problems with the cache approvers. I have had a few discussions on policy, but rules are rules and we must all obey them. What really bothers me is an experience I just had with a locationless cache owner. To start off the owner creates a set of requirements and if you meet those requirements you can log a find. The other day I decided to log a locationless cache and here is what happened to me.

I went out, found a location that fits the criteria, took some pictures, including my gps and other shots that were listed as requirements. I carefully looked through the previous finds to make sure I was not duplicating any other entries and as well to see if the location I found fits in with the rest of what the owner had approved as valid finds. Everything looked fine so I posted a find.

I get an automated email informing me that my log had been deleted. I also get an email from the owner informing me that I didn’t meet the criteria. No discussion, just gone. After reading the owners email I conclude what the problem is and re-post the find with more information to explain why my location matches the criteria. A few days later another automated email informing me that my log was deleted. This time no email from the owner.

After contacting the owner and exchange a few emails I am informed that my find just barely meets the criteria and if others see it, it will lead to people posting incorrect submissions and claiming that if mine was allowed then theirs should be. I can understand the owner’s problem, but if it meets the criteria, even by only a slim amount, then it should be allowed.

Not wishing to continue this childish game I decide to just delete the log myself and get on with life. I did how ever ask why my find was given such hassle when there were quite a few finds posted that didn’t meet the criteria. The response was that there must be a problem with geocaching.com that allowed these finds to be posted with out his knowledge and then proceeded to delete the logs. Not only did the owner start deleting logs, he also threatened that if anyone asked why their log was being deleted, he was going to give them my name and tell them it was my fault for complaining. What kind of crap is this?

I don’t even want the find now. I like my personal stats showing I got DNF on a locationless to remind me there are owners out there that thinks they are self imposed gods when they can’t even keep their own house straight. My advise to these kind of cache owners id clean up, or shut up.

Thank you for allowing my rant, and please no personal attacks. Keep all names to yourself.

Sorry for not being constructive and stuff, but this is one of the reasons why I don't log finds on so called locationless caches. In logbook caches it's simple: You find the cache, sign the logbook, and you can claim the find.

I can understand you don't want to give names, but your case would really be easier to handle if we knew what exactly was the job required by the cache owner and why did your case meet the criteria just barely.

I'm pretty sure I know who that cache owner is. If I'm right--that person is nothing but trouble, and has been rude and dismissive to me on several occasions. Has a screw loose and very few people skills, if you want my opinion--and has been a source of incredible aggravation for me. And it takes a lot to aggravate me. So... if it's any consolation, you're not the only one.

In any case, if you really want to log it, try to meet the "stringent" requirements of this insane control freak--otherwise don't do this person's caches anymore. Unfortunately, it's up to the cache owner. :blink:

Edited by prettynwitty
I wish more cache owners monitored their logs properly.

Based on your half of the story though, he was out of line.

Jamie

I agree with Jamie on both counts. This guy seems to be somewhat of an oddball and his attempt to blame you for his deleting other's logs is unconscionable. Hope I don't accidently try to log his cache :lol: . Thankfully owners like this are the exception.

Edited by briansnat
I don’t even want the find now. I like my personal stats showing I got  DNF on a locationless to remind me there are owners out there that thinks they are self imposed gods when they can’t even keep their own house straight.

If you really want to rattle his cage ... go ahead and meet his strict requirements. Then, once he accepts your hard work, go in and change the 'find' to a DNF and leave it that way. He might get the point ...

His cache, his rules, his intrepretation of his rules.

He should enforce the rules to not demean the people who did the work. If you did meet the rules ( and per your post you did by the skin of your teeth) you should of got the log. I also like your idea of posting a DNF on it.

At this point you can either fix the log to meet the higher standard at whatever level above minimum he's after or bag the dang thing.

These kinds of tussles are part of the game when you have rules that need enforced. I used to have some mandatory trade caches, but they were about as much fun to enforce as you had with one trying to get a log to stand. I've archived most all of them because if it's not fun, why bother?

You have a DNF on a locationless cache that someone thinks they own......

The metaphysics involved in that is just mind-boggling! :(

I know, I understand the locationless thing, but, think about it.... :lol:

It'll make your brain itch!

:D Lol @ wolves!

I hope you will try my locationless (actually started by RK) Fill in the Blanks. The rules are a little stringent, but it helps place new caches.

I love new angles. Lets try out ownerless locationless caches. It works for benchmarks. They are a pretty civil crowd. So the lack of owners and placement rules must be working for them or at least not working against them.

Lets take all the Nouns in the dictionary and just dump them in the locationless database. Then with nobody in charge of them let the finders police them selves. Yeah, that will work. We could do a locationless forum and peace and calm will prevail. Just like in benchmarks. Plus we would never see posts like this one.

I hope you will try my locationless (actually started by RK) Fill in the Blanks.  The rules are a little stringent, but it helps place new caches.

I did this locationless and worked really hard to get it right and with some communications it worked out great and I think the cache I placed for this one has been a big success. Huntnlady is a cache owner who does care. Thanks.

Edited by Riddlers

I love new angles. Lets try out ownerless locationless caches. It works for benchmarks. They are a pretty civil crowd. So the lack of owners and placement rules must be working for them or at least not working against them.

Lets take all the Nouns in the dictionary and just dump them in the locationless database. Then with nobody in charge of them let the finders police them selves. Yeah, that will work. We could do a locationless forum and peace and calm will prevail. Just like in benchmarks. Plus we would never see posts like this one.

If the cache is locationless and now ownerless, we could then adopt the cache. Perhaps the originator of the thread should try this on the cache?

(He says backwards with head spinning and green stuff spewing forth....)

I've had run ins with Ant.. too (oops, we said no names!) :lol:

His response to me was very sarcastic and condescending. He even referenced rules that do not exist, other than in his mind. My immediate impulse was to write back and tell him where to go in no uncertain terms. Eventually I decided to just take the high road and drop the matter. As someone already said ... Life's too short!

I've had run ins with Ant.. too (oops, we said no names!) :lol:

His response to me was very sarcastic and condescending. He even referenced rules that do not exist, other than in his mind. My immediate impulse was to write back and tell him where to go in no uncertain terms. Eventually I decided to just take the high road and drop the matter. As someone already said ... Life's too short!

Oh HIM. Where has he been? He was a regular here a few years ago, but hasn't visited the forums in quite a while as far as I know.

Oh HIM. Where has he been? He was a regular here a few years ago, but hasn't visited the forums in quite a while as far as I know.

Oh, he was here just a little bit ago, promoting one of his locationless caches... he got no responses. And I sure am glad I'm not the only one who's had trouble with the wackadoo--he actually CHANGED the rules of one of his caches, so he could delete my log.

Stop eating frogs .. you'll feel much better. hehehe

If you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day. :lol::o:P

In over two years of geocaching experineces and plenty of finds and DNF's I have only had one logged find challenged. Funny thing-that cache owner's name starts with the same letters as the name junglehair almost mentioned. :blink::o

His response to me was very sarcastic and condescending.  He even referenced rules that do not exist, other than in his mind.  My immediate impulse was to write back and tell him where to go in no uncertain terms.  Eventually I decided to just take the high road and drop the matter.  As someone already said ... Life's too short!

I had a similar experience. I posted a log that did meet the criteria, but my log wasn't long enough, or informative enough for their tastes. I got a rather unfriendly e-mail from this person, basically treating me like a 5 year old. So in response, I posted a log that required 2 (maybe 3, I don't remember) separate logs to fit it all on there. I also replied with a similar length e-mail as well. I never heard anything more, I assume that they're happy with the length of my "found it" and I was also able to make a point, to this person only.

Maybe I'll get flamed over this, but posting the find again and again until one tires of the other is childish, in my opinion. Either drop it and move on, or just simply try to find something that better fits the owner's "rules." Maybe their rules are strict, and we all know that just about anything goes on some locationless caches, but it is their "cache" and their rules. I'm not directing any of this at anyone just stating an opinion. Maybe it's not such a bad thing that someone is being strict about their locationless. I mean most of us wouldn't allow someone to post a "found it" on a traditional cache if someone said

:blink: October 13 by Mr. 0 (600 found)

"Well I think I was in the right park, I didn't get out of the car though. I saw a bird, Thanks for the cache. "

I understand this isn't similar to the OP's situation, as the OP DID find the cache, but it was just deemed not good enough. In that case, it's tough for me to say, since I'm not involved in the events surrounding the deleted log. I suppose though, to compare to regular caches, if someone found a much easier way to one of my caches, and turned a 5/5 hide into a 1/1, as long as they signed the log, it's a find. Just because they didn't find it exactly the way I intended, doesn't mean that it's not a find just the same.

to compare to regular caches, if someone found a much easier way to one of my caches, and turned a 5/5 hide into a 1/1, as long as they signed the log, it's a find. Just because they didn't find it exactly the way I intended, doesn't mean that it's not a find just the same.

That's true, but it's a false analogy to a locationless that has specific requirements.

I don't think anybody has a problem when a reasonable, non-arbitrary cache owner is strict about their logs... but when someone is obviously a weird troll variation, and uses their cache to get emotional kicks off of the players--boy, that sure sucks.

But what can you do, other than cast the evil wamba coise? (it works, you know!) :anibad:

wait... are we all talking about the same guy?

hey, i once went to log one of his locationless that called for me to tell the interpretaion of a certain part of a certain sculpture. he said my answer was wrong. so i sent an email to the sculptor asking her to settle the bet. he was not amused when i told him that i had it on good authority that my answer was good.

and when somebody says an answer is not available on the web, i consider it my DUTY to send them the link where i found the answer. THEN i go to the actual place and log the thing. they never know whether to allow the find or not.

Stop eating frogs .. you'll feel much better. hehehe

If you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day. :lol::anibad:;)

In over two years of geocaching experineces and plenty of finds and DNF's I have only had one logged find challenged. Funny thing-that cache owner's name starts with the same letters as the name junglehair almost mentioned. :huh::P

Geez, what's with all the frog abuse?

I've deleted plenty of finds from my two adopted locationless. Some folks I've had trouble with and argued argued argued, others say "yep, okay, I'll go and get what you asked for."

I do try to be specific for what I want, and what qualifies. It's when people start abusing and twisting the requirements that makes me see red. I actually had to specify on one of my "Dash for Cache" targets that "a moon pie and your GPS does NOT qualify as moon-related."

So...Has anyone actually TRIED to log a DNF on a locationless cache?

Might be more difficult than you think. :anibad:

I had to DNF A virtual in Salt Lake City. What was funny was that after changing my log to a DNF they asked me to change my log again because it was a spoiler. Yeah maybe it was a spoiler to him, but I sure as heck had no clue what the answer was to his question.

Might be more difficult than you think. :lol:

I had to DNF A virtual in Salt Lake City. What was funny was that after changing my log to a DNF they asked me to change my log again because it was a spoiler. Yeah maybe it was a spoiler to him, but I sure as heck had no clue what the answer was to his question.

I've DNF'd on a virtual before too. It's quite embarassing that I couldn't find the information after staring at the dang plaque for 10 minutes. :huh:

I was just trying to point out that it is literally impossible to post a purple frown on a locationless cache. I challenge anyone to try. :anibad:

Might be more difficult than you think. :anibad:

I've DNF'd on a virtual before too. It's quite embarassing that I couldn't find the information after staring at the dang plaque for 10 minutes. :lol:

I was just trying to point out that it is literally impossible to post a purple frown on a locationless cache. I challenge anyone to try. :huh:

I posted a DNF on an event back when that was still a valid log option