get a palm w/ add-on or gps unit?

superrjackson

GPS all the way.

I have a Sony Clie (forget the model #) but its color and was around 400.oo USD and I would not want to drop it or have it get wet or anything because I have a lot of money invested in software for it also. I would go with a GPS for doing GPS things and a Palm for Palm things.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Like all things...The real deal is always better than the combo special. However the combo is less junk to carry around and has better waypoint abilities since it can borrow the screen and memory of the PDA. Just don't drop it, use it in the rain etc.

The etrex will survive being dropped, rained on, and just generally make a better GPS.

Wherever you go there you are.

i have one of each. both have their place and usefulness. i always take yhe palm with me wherever i go because i have it set up for what i want to do. however, a hike in the woods is better suited to a rugged unit (although i have used the palm/companion for that also). i feel that i could break the palm anywhere, in the woods or in time square.

SR and dboggny. my mother in law rides a broom!

This is how I started out. I got the Palm m130 and then found a GPS unit for it at RandMcNally.com for about $200. I originally used the StreetFinder software to do driving directions. Later, while searching for golfing software (to calculate distances to greens using the GPS), I found out about Geocaching. After a couple of easy finds with the Palm/GPS, I bought a "real" unit (Meridian Platinum) because I was afraid of damaging the expensive Palm. The Meridian was only $50 more than the NAVMAN for the Palm! Now I use my Palm in the car for driving directions & also have the pocket queries loaded into it. But it goes into my pocket during the walk to the cache & I use the Meridian to lead the way.

So I guess my opinion is to get a "real" GPS if your intentions are geocaching. The GPS should be waterproof and rugged enough to handle going anywhere with you. The Palm really won't survive in the wild.

(Just a note...most of the Palm's use Secure Digital expansion memory cards -- the same type used in the Meridian series GPS)

[This message was edited by Stunod on September 23, 2002 at 07:58 AM.]

[This message was edited by Stunod on September 23, 2002 at 07:59 AM.]

My wife needed a new palm and I found geocaching when looking for a GPS unit I thought we'd just use for driving. 68 finds later and that is still what we are using. The only problem come with the rains, we put the whole unit in a baggie and it is a little harder to see. It was very economical though. Sure you can get a GPS that will do the same thing but, the companion has a lot bigger screen and came with the stuff that will add $$$ to a standard GPS. I don't understand why they sell mapping GPS units without the detailed maps. That's why you are buying the thing.

I'm sure I'll change my tune the first time we drop it, but it fits nicely in my pocket and that's where it goes when footing get tricky or I'm climbing.

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

I've had my GPS and Palm III combination for almost 3 years now, yet I've only gotten into Geocaching within the past few weeks (knew about it about a year ago, but never tried it).

I really like the palm device for what it does, and with the right software (CetusGPS is a nice little app), it can do everything that a dedicated piece of hardware can. You can probably find Palm III units and GPS's REALLY cheap on Ebay now since the Palm III (and variants) have been out of production for some time.

Aside from that, I do like the mapping aspect of the palm/GPS combination. I've got 8 megs of ram on it (upgraded it a while back), which can store a good amount of maps. Works out great because the GPS w/ the map software will help you get to the geocache area...then you switch to something like CetusGPS, and that allows you to watch your distance and heading as you close in on the Geocache.

Enjoy!

Christopher J. Miller

If you go with the Palm, I strongly suggest the GeoNiche software (http://www.nwlink.com/~raydar/GeoNiche/index.html).

There is a free download, and the registration is only $25. The demo is fully functional, just a few "remember to register" pop ups.

homer.gif

"If you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now, quiet! The're about to announce the lottery numbers..."