Best Items Found In A Cache

CapnJackSparrow

I'm getting ready to place my first cache and I want it to be really cool. I have travel bugs almost ready to go. The first will have a goal to make it to the Caribean: "In Search of the Black Pearl". However, I want to place something really cool in the cache for the FTF and was wondering what some of your best items found were so I can get some ideas. So far I have thought of gift certificates or, better yet, a gift card (waterproof!). another thought was a Garmin E-Trex but it occured to me that anyone finding my cache would already have a GPSr. Any ideas? :blink:

I'd take the eTrex! I want a cheap GPSr to give to a young friend who loves tagging along with me when we go caching. Others might also appreciate a backup unit, a unit for the kids, etc.

(So if you don't want it, just give me a shout, and... :blink: )

I've yet to be FTF on more than 1 cache, let alone find awesome prizes, but I have stuff here which would probably be pretty decent including a couple of laser pointers, pocket FM radios, a "SpaceFlag" (you wave it back and forth in your hand and a message appears in midair), and other various electronics.

Your ideas sound cool. :D

I usually don't place FTF prizes, but have in several cases. Last week I left a new Petzel Micro headlamp as a FTF prize. I've also placed binoculars and Geocaching.com hats.

Oddly enough, the FTF rarely takes the prize. The GC.COM hat in one case lasted until the 5th finder and the binoculars are still in the cache after 20 some finds.

Though I decided on the headlamp for my last cache, some other things that I considered were a battery charger and a pack of re-chargeable batteries, a Katadyn Hiker water filter, a Camelbak Unbottle or a Platypus hydration system and a Mountainsmith lumbar pack.

Edited by briansnat
Oddly enough, the FTF rarely takes the prize. The GC.COM hat in one case lasted until the 5th finder and the binoculars are still in the cache after 20 some finds.

Honest cachers that feel they can't trade even or trade up maybe? That's a good point though, I will have to make it a non-trade just-take item so they won't feel guilty.

Arrrr Cap'n, me thinks PNW is onta somethin thar wi that thar earring idea :(

I like the idea of items fitting into the theme or name of a cache also. I am working on my first one too and am looking for items that play off the name of the location. It should be more fun for the finders this way. As for a FTF I get stumped on this thought also.

I think Brian made a good point though, indirectly, that it doesent have to be overly fancy as it may scare off potential deserved winners.

Cheers, and have fun with it,

PJ :lol:

Edited by Prairie Jeepin

Hey! Thanks all for all the great ideas and enthusiasm. My first hide is going to be very theme (pirate) oriented. That's why it's taking me so long to get it going. I also have a travel bug, "In Search of the Black Pearl" that is going to have a mission of making it to the Caribbean. This is such a blast!! I want my first hide to be memorable for me, the FTF, and everyone else with a GPSr and a mission. I have already chosen several theme oriented objects to put in the cache, but I want the FTF prize to be stellar.

Also, I have been following another thread about MOC's and have decided by reading everyone's comments that I am not going to make my cache "Members Only" but I still urge non-members to become members just because I know what it takes to keep the services offered by GeoCaching.com and Groundspeak going.

Just keep the ideas coming 'cause I haven't decided yet and thanks again,

CapnJackSparrow

Ok, I'm getting closer to hiding my first cache. The two top items I have purchased so far as FTF and (hopefully) FTF² prizes are a Garmin eTrex and a "Pirates of the Caribbean" video game for X-Box respectively. This cache will also contain a TB with a goal of making it to the Caribbean.

I have a small problem though. In my area there seems to be one person with a lot of time on his hands and a lot of FTF's. Please don't get me wrong, I would have no problem with him being FTF on my cache but I would like to make the playing field a little more even for the rest of the folks in my area that can only get out on weekends and such.

What I have come up with (and admin chime in please) is to set up a multi-cache with the final leg being a question that the finders would have to answer in a personal email to me, and when I get "X" number of emails with the correct answer or say after a certain date, I would respond to all emails with the final coordinates.

Does this fit whitin the rules and does anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance for your responces :anitongue:,

CapnJackSparrow

I don't know if I'm being ignored but my intentions are good here. I am seriously looking for advice on how to place my first cache. I thought maybe knowone is taking me seriously, so I had my neighbors take a digital pic of me with the bootie. Circled in red is my signiture sticker on the eTrex and the video game ready to place in the cache.

Here's the pic taken just minutes ago. Not too good but you get the idea. :anitongue:

CapnJack.jpg

Also, I am very interested in knowing what your favorite items to find were so I can put in things that people will be excited to find.

Edited by CapnJackSparrow

I think it is fantastic that you are putting together such a fantastic cache. Your FTF prizes are awesome!

I would not worry about the person who gets a lot of FTF's in your area if you make it a difficult multicache. There is one in my local area that I have almost completed (waiting for my GF to come along to finish it) that required that you solve a coded message based on clues found in the cache listing as well as "pirate's map" of clues. Because it takes some time to solve the code, the FTF nut who goes out at midnight to bag a newly placed cache might be slowed down a bit.

The Bubba Vinci Code

Wow.. I wish I could be FTF on /that/ one. =P My boyfriend is into caching, but can only do it when I'm with him (he's in Canada, me in the US) because he doesn't have a GPS unit. Also.. the video game! WOOT!

I love that movie btw. Maybe a bobblehead from the movie? Small enough for a cache, and everyone's gotta love a bobblehead.

Also like the idea of you making it a fair game for everyone. Keep up the good work on future finds! ;)

-auravixen, who is currently working on a cache of her own and getting ideas from this thread!

Wow.. I wish I could be FTF on /that/ one. =P My boyfriend is into caching, but can only do it when I'm with him (he's in Canada, me in the US) because he doesn't have a GPS unit. Also.. the video game! WOOT!

I love that movie btw. Maybe a bobblehead from the movie? Small enough for a cache, and everyone's gotta love a bobblehead.

Also like the idea of you making it a fair game for everyone. Keep up the good work on future finds! B)

-auravixen, who is currently working on a cache of her own and getting ideas from this thread!

absolutlely love youe new avitar!!! sorry, off topic but what a cutie!!

Perhaps you can make an arrangement with your local approver to not "pre-release" the info on the new cache. In oher words, the cache will ONLY be reported on the regular "New Caches" eMail. Or wait until the "New Caches" eMail is out to activate the cache. This won't guarantee that your local chronic won't be FTF but it will give the others a fighting chance.

Sounds like a great cache. Congratulations!

I have a small problem though. In my area there seems to be one person with a lot of time on his hands and a lot of FTF's. Please don't get me wrong, I would have no problem with him being FTF on my cache but I would like to make the playing field a little more even for the rest of the folks in my area that can only get out on weekends and such.

You can ask your approver to wait until Saturday morning to approve it.

What I have come up with (and admin chime in please) is to set up a multi-cache with the final leg being a question that the finders would have to answer in a personal email to me, and when I get "X" number of emails with the correct answer or say after a certain date, I would respond to all emails with the final coordinates.

While some locals may like this, it might annoy others and cause more greif than its worth.

I think your best bet to even the playing field is to make sure its released on a weekend and you can work with your approver so this can happen. Also, making it a long multi stage cache and throwing in some difficult terrain should even things out too. I did a multi in a state park yesterday that was 4 stages over 8 miles and it was a lot of fun. Something like that might thwart your FTF hound.

Aloha Capt.,

I am new so I do not know all of the steps in posting the info on a new cache. But to even out the playing field for the FTF, can you post the info on the new cache but make it effective on a certain date 2 weeks later. That date should be a weekend day. Then those active in the area will know about it ahead of time and can make time available to find your cache. If they know about the great prize your offering you should have the makings for a real race!! May the best cacher win.

Good luck, I wish I was there but a swim across the Pacific Ocean is a little much... <_<

RayD8

Put a 1kg bar of gold in it. If nothing else you'll see a flurry of activity as people try and find your cache to bag the gold.

As for first-finders not taking the "prize", I'm sure I'm not the only cacher that is reluctant to take something that obviously has a meaningful value when all I've got in my caching "exchange" bag to trade is a handful of trinkets and cheap novelty items. I'd second the previous poster who suggested making it clear that the first finder gets to keep the prize, as a prize.

After carefully considering all of your valuable recommendations and ideas, I have made my decision about how this cache will be placed.

1.) This cache is going to start out as a multi cache with the first two legs being in different parks along the southern shore of Lake Ontario with an emphasis on the historic significance of these areas. These parks are some miles apart and will require those interested in being "first to find" to be somewhat determined.

2.) The original contents of the final cache will be some nice swag items for trade, a log book, a TB with a goal of making it to the Caribbean, and two envelopes labeled "First to Find" and "Second to Find" with a SASE in each for the finders to mail me the address that they would like to have the prize delivered to. FTF prize is a Garmin eTrex and second is the Pirates of the Caribbean video game for X-Box. These will be clearly identified as "prizes" which do not require trade, only that you sign the log book.

3.) I will note to the approver for my area to please wait until the weekend to release the information in an attempt to level the playing field. However, I never meant to suggest that the person in my area that has been FTF on a lot of the local caches is not welcome to be FTF on mine, FTF is FTF no matter who it is.

4.) After the FTF and STF prizes have been awarded, the first two legs of the cache will be removed and the cache will become "Traditional" if this is possible.

5.) Although the cache will be loosely based on the Disney movie Pirates of the Caribbean, no knowledge of the movie or it's contents will be required to find the cache.

Does this sound reasonable?

I have about two more weeks work to do on this to get it ready to go and I will post to this thread when it has been released.

CapnJackSparrow

Great Job! The only possible problem I see is with #4. I'll quote from another post, can't remember where now:

In the past a person could hide a cache with a number of prizes in it, then the cache could be archived after those prizes were found by the first few lucky people. This practice was no longer accepted at geocaching.com. The reasoning was that everyone should have a chance to find the cache.

I don't know if I'm being ignored but my intentions are good here. I am seriously looking for advice on how to place my first cache. I thought maybe knowone is taking me seriously, so I had my neighbors take a digital pic of me with the bootie. Circled in red is my signiture sticker on the eTrex and the video game ready to place in the cache.

Here's the pic taken just minutes ago. Not too good but you get the idea. :blink:

CapnJack.jpg

Also, I am very interested in knowing what your favorite items to find were so I can put in things that people will be excited to find.

Wow, awesome items.

Would be cool to find a gift card for something like wal-mart, target, best buy.

Could put them in the cache and not put the $ amount on it.

Let them find out what they really found once they get to the store. :D

Of coarse it's hard to come up with anything better then what you got in your photo, nice. :D

Wish I was closer....

Edited by Milbank
Great Job! The only possible problem I see is with #4. I'll quote from another post, can't remember where now:

In the past a person could hide a cache with a number of prizes in it, then the cache could be archived after those prizes were found by the first few lucky people. This practice was no longer accepted at geocaching.com. The reasoning was that everyone should have a chance to find the cache.

I don't intend to remove the cache itself, just the first two legs of the multi which are going to be somewhat difficult due to the nature of the FTF prize. If this is possible, it will then become a "Traditional" cache instead of a multi, and will still contain some very nice trade items. I still have to check with the approvers to see if this is acceptable but I don't see why it shouldn't be.

Other trade items that I have ready to go into the traditional cache include some treasures from the Orient (ie: Chinese coins and a very nice dragon sculpture) from a local import store called Oriental City II as well as a "Skull and Crossbones" necklace from the wonderful people at Real Metal, and a miniature hand crafted ship in a bottle from a local craft store.

I intend to include a booklet, that will be my own work and free for the taking (no trade nessecary) describing the rich history of the Rochester, NY area from it's beginings as the first "boom town" on the Great Lakes to it's involvement in the "Underground Railroad" and "Womens Sufferage" movements, as well as the birthplace of photography.

I also have seven more TB's which will most likely get there start from this cache.

So, you can see, the cache will still be well worth finding and I hope will be around for a very long time for all to find. :blink:

Would be cool to find a gift card for something like wal-mart, target, best buy.

Could put them in the cache and not put the $ amount on it.

Let them find out what they really found once they get to the store. :D

Of coarse it's hard to come up with anything better then what you got in your photo, nice. :D

Wish I was closer....

I had thought of this but couldn't think of a way to make it fit the theme of the cache. I need to find maybe an online store that sells appropriate items and also has gift cards.

P.S. thanks Milbank, now my ugly mug is on this post twice!! :blink:

While FTF prizes are cool, I like to reward the first few finders of my caches. What I do is leave 3 scratch off lotto tickets as prizes for the first 3 finders. I've done this with 3 of the 4 caches I've placed and everyone has seemed to like the idea.

The only odd thing is everyone says they didn't win anything, yeah right, I think they just didn't want to share :huh:

Zack

Update:

Two weeks has proved to be very unrealistic. This cache has become my obsession and has got to be perfect. I started a web site to go along with the cache at:

Cap'n Jacks Cache

Sorry for the delay, but trust me it will be worth the wait.

Also, the note to visit geocaching.com is clickable and links to the site. I'm posting it for all RR users and maybe get some new cachers out of it.

one cool thing that I was thinking of putting in as a FTF prize is a NEW unactivated TB

I've left unactivated tags at my two caches, though FTF was a silver half dollar. I'm not sure the half dollar was actually worth more than the $4 the tag cost me (they were in circulated condition), but there's something about holding a big, heavy, OLD chunk of silver in your hand that's really impressive.

I've left unactivated tags at my two caches

That was suggested and I thought it was a great idea. I have 5 unactivater TB's and I will add at least two to the cache.

Also, we have a Chinese import store at our local mall and I found some coins there that will also be added. Funny thing is I probably paid about 10 times there actual value but it's all for the sport.

Hi,

I like finding signature items, shot glasses, multi-tools. My son likes to find hot-wheels cars and mctoys. I would love to find a usb mini-drive, monocular, unactivated TBs. There is a $100 bill FTF prize in one of my caches that still has not been found (flask...?).

I'm looking forward to looking for yours if I get out that way this winter.

Good Luck,

nfa-jamie

Hi,

I like finding signature items, shot glasses, multi-tools. My son likes to find hot-wheels cars and mctoys. I would love to find a usb mini-drive, monocular, unactivated TBs. There is a $100 bill FTF prize in one of my caches that still has not been found (flask...?).

Very cool hides! I will be looking for yours also. My favorite place in the world is the Adirondack region of Upstate New York.