Parking Fee to get to the cache?

OB Jets

Greetings, I've been thinking about where to place my 1st cache. I know of the perfect park, and an excellent reason to visit it, my only problem is with the $10.00 per car fee that is charged to get into the park. What do you think ? Would other geocachers go there knowing that its gonna cost them $10.00 just to get in?

A $10 per car entrance fee sounds like a National Park; if so, you need to know physical caches are not permitted within national parks.

If it's not a NP and you have permission to place the cache, just be sure to announce the fee on your cache page; then people can know and decide in advance whether to go for it rather than be surprised when the arrive at the park.

worldtraveler

Well, if people are paying $10 to get in, there must be some worthwhile things to see/do there. I would mention what those things are in the cache description. Personally, I would never spend $10 on a cache hunt, but if there are other attractions that make it worthwhile I would.

-Vb

No problem as long as you note the fact on the page. It's very annoying to find out when you get there that it's gonna cost you $10.

If it's one of those places that charge you $10 to park, but you can hoof it in without shelling out the dough, you might want to mention that too, to give others the option.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I'm glad you at least thought about the fee before placing icon_smile.gif

I logged a DNF at a cache where the cost on weekends and holidays is $8 per person, no matter how many cars. Yesterday we went back and found it.... two trips, two people, $32!

I'm glad we did it and I would do it again.

I went to Swallow Falls State Park and there was a fee per car to get in (at least in the summer). It's a popular place to swim in the large creek. We were going for that and picked up the cache while there but there was no mention of the fee or swimming in the description. If I was going just for the cache I think I would be pretty mad, particular because it's a pretty out of the way to go to. You've got to be upfront about things involving fees and it helps to add features that would make it worthwhile to pay the fee like swimming.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=10988

[This message was edited by Shoebox on August 18, 2003 at 09:41 AM.]

We placed a cache and mentioned the nominal fee, but then when the famous Stayfloopy went to find it, he let me know there is a higher fee for out of state cars (state park) so I had to edit the cache page. I also gave them a spot to park outside the park and walk in. No charge for walkees. Here in CT we have what's called the Charter Oak Pass, that is a pass you can buy that will let you into all the state parks, for the season, without paying again except for over night camping and Gillette Castle. Last time I got one it was $36.00 for the season. From Labor Day through Memorial Day there is usually no entrance fee in our parks. Also, and this may not be a well known fact, I found out that if I go to a place like Hamonassett Beach or Sherwood Island State Park at night with my fishing pole I am allowed to lift the gate and drive right in and can fish until the Ranger says go home. We used to be allowed to stay all night but there has been to much vandalism so it's at the Ranger's discretion how long you can stay. Fishermen have a God given right to access the ocean for fishing, as long as it's public access. I just wish they didn't think they had a right to throw their garbage everywhere. Yeah, I know it wasn't you, it was the other guy. Geocachers trash out! icon_smile.gif (That little night access tidbit is for night cachers).

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Just returned for a 2 week vacation/geocaching trip thru many western states. I was disappointed to run into several caches that were in fee entry areas. Usually they were state parks sometimes just a county or local park that had a day-use fee.

Don't think any of the ones we came across mentioned it in the cache description. Sort of dissapointing. It would be so easy to mention.

After a awhile I just figured most were placed by locals that probably had an annual pass of some sort and assumed most others did too. Also, i'm sure most were easily worth the fee if spending the day or camping or whatever.

We were just hitting caches as we travelled - mostly sort of randomly - so fee surprises were most unwelcome.

I was trying to log caches from the trip today and made a note to leave a note at caches were we found this.

Just my two cents - and of course we all know what that's worth.

I'm sorry, but it's rediculous to charge for the use of PARKS... They were designed to save natural land so that people could use it for FREE. If you want to ask for 50 cents or a dollra or something, that's one thing, but $8 is rediculous. There's a place in TN that charges $3 to park your car, and I swear, we did everything there was to do there except the multi-mile walk due to my bad back and my mother's bad knees... That inlcluded learning how to throw an indian hunting spear (yes, I did hit the target), visiting a museum, and walking to something. They must make money out the butt there, because we were definately there less than an hour. Here's a thought... If they want to make money, why not charge $1 to the museum? If a car load of 10 people go...

Nothing wrong with it, as long as you make it plainly known on the cache page.

I have two cached in a state park here. there are actually 5 caches in this park. The park is 37 square miles. They charge $3 per person over 12 years old. I posted it on the cache pages, and recommended the visitors bring food along and make a day of it with a picnic and a hike.

Good luck....

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

If I were doing it, I'd try to find a nearby public street to park dor free and walk in.

If there is a good (fre) parking area (like a public street) nearby, put the coords in the description.

If you haven't placed the cache yet (future reference) you can probably find a place near the edge of the park where there is no parking fee, and place the cache near the free parking.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

quote:
Originally posted by fly46:

I'm sorry, but it's rediculous to charge for the use of PARKS... They were designed to save natural land so that people could use it for FREE. If you want to ask for 50 cents or a dollra or something, that's one thing, but $8 is rediculous. There's a place in TN that charges $3 to park your car, and I swear, we did everything there was to do there except the multi-mile walk due to my bad back and my mother's bad knees... That inlcluded learning how to throw an indian hunting spear (yes, I did hit the target), visiting a museum, and walking to something. They must make money out the butt there, because we were definately there less than an hour. Here's a thought... If they want to make money, why not charge $1 to the museum? If a car load of 10 people go...

You're assuming this is simply a nature area. We have a city park that's a recreation of a turn of the century town. It charges a $7 entry fee.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

That probably is my mistake Renegade Knight

quote:
Funny, I just got chastized for not posting the fee in my cache page. The fee is for the developed part of the park, not where the cache is located which is located across the interstate.

We got off the interstate - pretty much the only thing there as I recall was the park gate and incorrectly ASSumed that park access was needed.

As much as I like to see notes in cache descriptions when fees are involved - maybe some occasionaly need a note when a 'paid admission' might not be necessary. Just to avoid the confusion.

Sorry for the confusion on my part. I'll edit the note on the cache page too.

maleki/Marty

No harm or chastisement meant RK.

I got off the closest interstate exit to the cache(my first mistake). I was eastbound. Seemed my only option at that exit was to enter the park. I didn't realize the cache was other side. Was there road access to the right(your cache area) at that exit - just curious at this point. My map doesn't show it. We stopped so many places I cant remember?

I hadn't zoomed in close enough and the pushpin on MS S&T appeared at quick glance(while driving 75mph) to be on the park side. Zooming in clearly shows its across the interstate - but no road access unless you proceed thru the park at that exit.

Just wondering, but it doesn't really make a diff as it will probably be another year b4 back that way.

Thanks for hiding caches and your participation in the Idaho geocaching group website that I used before my trip to try to gather some info.

I did manage to download all Idaho caches but needed a tip from BruceS to piece together complete state data.

marty/maleki