Waypoint Download Programs

GeoGordie

Greetings gang,

OK .. Getting more involved in this great adventure .. now have access to waypoint download capabilities (Prem. Memb.), have looked at the web page that gives several options on which program to run / download.

What seems to be the most popular and EASY ( read .. not a rocket scientist here)

to load / use / naviagate / print forms / download stuff to my GPS ?

I know this is gonna open up a "can of worms" favorite program topic ... but, hey ! I'm [FISHING] for answers and tips !!

Thanks guys and gals for all your help so far ...

BTW ... headed to the NC coast this weekend .. Holden Beach area .. gonna try my luck there also .. hope, hope, hope I find a few!

Gordon in Greensboro

Probably should search in the GPS Units and Software Forum for lots of suggestions.

For me, the clear winner was GSAK for giving me the most flecibility in managing the caches I have found and ones I want to find.

I think it's pretty simple if you want it to be, and extremely customizable if you want to go that way. Launch GSAK and drag/drop in a GPX file and viola - it's loaded and ready to manipulate. You can sort (click any column heading), Filter (reduce the displayed list based on any criteria you want), export to most any program or directly to your GPS, etc.

I have tried 3 or 4 of the commonly recomended free/share programs. I am not impressed by any of them.

yes, the DL and UL just fine. GSAK seems the best, but you need to startt a new 'database' (like a spreadsheet page) for each 'set' of waypoints - there is no way (that i have found) to DL just some waypoints in a database - so if you find ONE cache waypoint you want to DL to your unit, you have to put it into it's own db to DL it - if youjust add it to a db yohave to DL the whole shebang.

i'd like to see a program that organizes similar to GSAK, but allows you to DL one or more waypoints, and also allow you to doble click and show a map.

I found a program that will lay your waypoints on a map - aerial photo or topo map (free!) but it uses NAD27 not WGS84, so you gotta convert. http://jdmcox.com/ usaphotomaps. the author responds to email inquireis quickly, too.

chris

yes, the DL and UL just fine. GSAK seems the best, but you need to startt a new 'database' (like a spreadsheet page) for each 'set' of waypoints - there is no way (that i have found) to DL just some waypoints in a database - so if you find ONE cache waypoint you want to DL to your unit, you have to put it into it's own db to DL it - if youjust add it to a db yohave to DL the whole shebang.

I have no idea what the process was that you are describing or the issue you ran into, but I have 900+ waypoints in 1 database and I drop GPX files from PQs into the existing database on a daily basis.

The only time I've created a 2nd database was when I was traveling and I wanted to load up a database of all caches around the area that I was going to be in. I then used that database while traveling and when I was done, exported all the found caches to a GPX file and loaded that into my default database so I had all the found caches in 1 place.

There's NO reason to create multiple database unless you want to.

David

I have a simple problem...I have a db with 21 waypoints. I want to DL to my GPSr 2 waypoints - how do I do that?

chris

Are you asking about GSAK? If so, there's a hundred and seven different ways. One way is to check the User flag for those 2 caches. That flag is the 4th column in from the left with a checkbox. Then click on Search / Filter / uncheck the box for Not Set for the User flag and click the Go button. You should now see those 2 caches as the only caches in the grid display.

You can then click Send to the GPS directly or export to another program, manipulate/add waypoints/etc and then from that program send to the GPS.

Are you asking about GSAK? If so, there's a hundred and seven different ways. One way is to check the User flag for those 2 caches. That flag is the 4th column in from the left with a checkbox. Then click on Search / Filter / uncheck the box for Not Set for the User flag and click the Go button. You should now see those 2 caches as the only caches in the grid display.

You can then click Send to the GPS directly or export to another program, manipulate/add waypoints/etc and then from that program send to the GPS.

As usual, Operator Error.

I prefer programs that don't require reading the instructions...I don't have tome for anymore input than absolutely necessary :blink:

thanks

chris

EasyGPS allows you to right-click any waypoint and send it to your GPS. I believe you can highlight several caches and send just those caches. I wish GSAK had this, rather than having to check the ones you want and filter all the others. Not really a big deal, but EasyGPS works much more efficiently in this regard.

Jamie

I don't think there's any doubt EasyGPS is the easiest to use. GSAK does more things but is harder to learn. EasyGPS does what I need. If you have a PDA you will probably want a more sophisticated program.

I wrote a utility that makes EasyGPS easier to use -- http://factsfacts.com/geocachingsoft/EZCompanion.htm

Edit:

Wait! You read my beginners guide. It explains all this. Don't you trust me? :D:blink::unsure:

Edited by Thot

Nothing's easier than EasyGPS. I recommend starting with that and then trying other software. If you become acustomed to EasyGPS, you'll have something to compare the rest too. You'll be familiar with the limitations and features of EasyGPS and have and idea of what to look for when 'upgrading'.

-Bob

OKEY DOKEY .... Youse guys are Grrrreeeaaaattt !

The things you learn when ya ask a question ot two .....

I have an idea in which direction I'm headed on this .... WAIT ... let me check my whiz-bang GPS First !!

All in all ... I feel more at ease in "trying" a program to get my feet wet ...

Oh, BTW ... went a-looking for my FIRST cache today ... no soap .. did something wrong ( ???? ) or just whatever ... besides,I was NOT really prepared for the woods.. bushes .. brairs .. undergrowth .. you get the picture as to where the cache "May" have been. Will go to war next time with better "body armor" :-)

Thanks again to all ... I'm a-loving this new adventure !!

Gordon in Greensboro

PS Met up with a friend for lunch today that was NOT aware of GeoCaching, even though he has one of high-fangled GPS color jobs that knows more than a crystal ball ... needless to say... passed on the web site to him ... hmmmmm

PS (2) Any "Locals" to G'Boro area that like to talk about the "hobby" eyeball to eyeball ???

I have tried 3 or 4 of the commonly recomended free/share programs. I am not impressed by any of them.

i'd like to see a program that organizes similar to GSAK, but allows you to DL one or more waypoints, and also allow you to doble click and show a map.

I found a program that will lay your waypoints on a map - aerial photo or topo map (free!) but it uses NAD27 not WGS84, so you gotta convert. http://jdmcox.com/ usaphotomaps. the author responds to email inquireis quickly, too.

chris

you don't have to make different databases - you only need to set a filter such that only the caches you want to put in the gps are there - then hit the download button -

for instance - I want my own caches and only some of the ones that are not found - (just don't want to hunt through 100 wpts when I want to GOTO the next one)

you can filter by just about anything there is in the database -

EasyGPS allows you to right-click any waypoint and send it to your GPS. I believe you can highlight several caches and send just those caches. I wish GSAK had this, rather than having to check the ones you want and filter all the others. Not really a big deal, but EasyGPS works much more efficiently in this regard.

Jamie

In the GSAK thread in GPS Units and Software forum Clyde said this would be added to 4.2 (here).

Started out with Easy GPS, but once I figured out all the features of GSAk, I prefer it over Easy GPS. One of the biggest features of GSAK is automatic replacement of the cache types when it downloads to the GPSr. You can do it with Easy GPS but have to change them manual one at a time. Changing databases with GSAK is not a problem I cache in three different areas and have three different databases, it's easy to switch back and forth by just doing a backup of each of the databases.

Hi to all ....

Well, as many have said before the age of machinery and technology .. when all else fails .. Read Da Book !!

Guys, ya just can't "Plug and Play" with some toys ... GPS and programs come to mind ..... After a bit of soul searching and thinking over what you guys have so patiently tried to tell me .. while at work .. heh heh heh .. if ya just take the time to read "some" instructions .. it's just amazing what will work as advertised.

Needless to say ... The Ol' Ham Radio Guy is up and running with the download programs to the GPS .. STILL... I have a LOT to learn and get warm and comfy with and using as it is meant to be. BUT ... I have some stuff downloaded for my trip to Holden Beach this weekend ... while the "One who must be obeyed" (read.. wife) is off shopping .. I'm a going cache hunting !!

THANKS to all with the suggestions and help ... stayed tuned for more lame-brain questions from G'Boro.....

May your cache be filled with hope and happiness....

Gordon in Greensboro

This post was merged into the existing thread by a moderator.

Edited by Keystone Approver