Alternate Uses For Ammo Cans

NBJPoppa

So, my curiousity has been piqued a bit by something I saw yesterday. Before I go into the details of what I saw a little background.

One assumes that an ammo can was built to hold, and once did, ammunition. When I first found some to buy it was at Ed's Surplus in Lynnwood, Washington, which is just North of Seattle. At the time the clerk told me that people who build houses for a living would often come by and buy all of their ammo cans.

I asked why?

The answer was that they liked to use them for holding nails, screws, etc.. They don't leak, so the nails don't rust, and the nails can't poke through the sides. That sounded reasonable to me. We also like them because they are waterproof. And I'm sure that they work better than old coffee cans for holding nails! :blink:

Well yesterday I was up in Everett heading to a soccer match in North Mill Creek. We had a some time before the game started, so I headed over to the Travel Bug Rest Stop cache. While heading North on 4th I spotted a newish-looking white full-sized van with a 50mm ammo can attached to the far right side of the rear bumber! (Like a bumber extension.) Curiously, the ammo can was a bit smashed up. I can only guess that the driver has a penchant for hitting the right rear of the van while backing, and it may be cheaper to replace the ammo can than the bumper!

Anyone else seen a different use for an ammo can?

Well, you could paint it black, cover it in metal studs and add a leather strap and wear it as a purse to a goth-industrial club!

Not that I've ever seen such a thing, but I'd be surprised if it hadn't been done. :D:unsure::blink:

I could see them being handy for camping, considering their waterproofness qualities. I'll have to remember that next year when our girl scout troop goes camping. :blink:

I have a .50 ammo can in every car with a few tools and such in it. I recently bought a couple of bigger cans to bolt to my Cruiser and add a lock hasp to. I plan to store chain and winch accessories in one and spare parts in the other. When you drive a soft top it's nice to have lockable storage. I also load MRE's into them for trail rides, they are dust proof in addition to being waterproof.

I also have a ammo can type storage box, maybe 40"X30"X18" deep. All my trail essentials go into it. Jumper cables, axe, folding shovel, oil, that kind of stuff.

I like ammo cans, I like them a lot.

We had two Piper airplanes that we kept at the Bremerton National Airport in a hanger. I used a ammo box with holes cut in the sides and on top as a heater to keep the cockpit dry in the cold wet weather. I had a metal electrical box with a lamp socket mounted on the bottom of the box. A 60 watt lamp kept the cockpit nice and dry and I didn't have to worry about it falling over. The airport manager gave me permission to use it. Don't have the planes anymore but still have the box. Dick, W7WT