Legend C For $169.99 At Target

mattt

That was me that mentioned the 169 price wasn't too bad, but that is after shipping, tax, and includes a garmin case and instructional video as well.

I received my package today, and as we all suspected, it was a regular legend bonus package. I got on the phone and called the 800 line. I had a nice conversation with a guy, and told him that I had ordered the C package and received the regular legend. He looked at my order and said no problem, he would ship a replacement (due date Dec. 22, but should be here earlier according to him) and that I should print out a shipping label from the Target website to return the other one.

So now I just drop off the other one at the mailbox and start the waiting game again. Still some hope, just gotta play the game. :laughing:

They'll be sending you a C? or a C bonus pack?

I think the trick was NOT to contact them and bring attention to the problem. Because you didn't contact them, they just shipped you the legend bonus package but with the original order information intact.

I bet they will ship you the C. What you'll have to watch out for now is if they automatically charge you the difference when they ship out the C.

Just got my email confirmation today that my "Legend C Bonus Pack" was shipped via 2-day UPS. Was not expecting it to be shipped until the 26th of this month according to earlier reply from Target.

I am fully expecting the non-color unit, but will have to wait and see.

Will probably have to call that 1-800 number and claim foul play.

Hopefully will as lucky as niskibum, in contacting someone with enough clout to just bite the bullet, and send the color unit, as ordered.

OK Guys here goes my letter..........

Hello from Target.com.

I have investigated your order and it appears that you will be sent

the "eTrex Legend Bonus Pack." An incorrect item was on the site

for a "eTrex Legend C Bonus Pack." The "eTrex Legend C Bonus Pack"

is not available and the website has been corrected.

I apologize for any misunderstanding. You are welcome to cancel

your order at any time before it enters the shipping process. You

may also refuse the package when it arrives and it will be returned

to us and you will receive a full refund.

In addition to a wide selection of items, one of our aims is to

provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we haven't

met that standard.

I'm truly sorry that we were not able to fulfill your expectations.

I hope that you'll give us another opportunity to prove the quality

of our service to you in the future.

This letter was in my email this morning. I did not contact them prior. I called the 800 number and tried to plead my case but no luck. They said they would change the order to the Legend C and bill my card accordingly. Cancel now if you do not want to play tag with Target returns dept.

I knew it was too good to be true.............

This letter was in my email this morning. I did not contact them prior. I called the 800 number and tried to plead my case but no luck. They said they would change the order to the Legend C and bill my card accordingly. Cancel now if you do not want to play tag with Target returns dept.

I knew it was too good to be true.............

Did they at least send you a $20 gift certificate? This was part of the email they sent me:

For any inconvenience this has caused you, I'm sending you a $20 promotional code to use toward any future order you may place on Target.com.

Here is the email that I recieved:

Thank you for shopping at Target.com, your direct link to

the Target® stores you love.

Unfortunately, the following item is not currently available

from any of our sources.

"eTrex Legend C Bonus Pack"

We have cancelled this item from your order.

Because you only pay for items when we ship them to you, your credit

card

has not been charged for this item.

Therefore, we regret we will not be able to process your order. Your

order is now closed.

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address

that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this

message.

If you have further questions, please visit our online Help department.

Thank you for being a valued Guest. We hope you visit us again.

Sincerely,

Guest Services Department

Target.com

www.target.com

According to the tracking info....my Legend C Bonus Pack is on a UPS truck right now "out for delivery". I never got an email from Target with the bad news.

I don't know what kind of games they are playing, but you all can be assured they will be getting a call from me if I end up getting the non-color unit.

Who knows, maybe they are playing the odds....trying to minimize their losses. I know when I placed my order, it was for a color unit as described in detail on their webpage and that's what I am going to argue with them if needed.

I'll keep you all informed of the ugly details.

JayBee

I'll keep you all informed of the ugly details.

I'm sure the details will be pretty ugly. I also never contacted them in any way about this order and just received the cancelation email. I was going to call and argue it, but just checked their site, and they have the Legend C listed as:

Availability :

We will email you when this item becomes available.

So...no Legend C, no consolation prize. I'm not a happy camper.

I don't know what kind of games they are playing, but you all can be assured they will be getting a call from me if I end up getting the non-color unit.

No games; they made a mistake. They have a disclaimer on their website stating that they aren't obligated if an error occurs. Someone goofed on the description of the bonus pack and they eventually rectified that error. No one's perfect.

How many of you guys got $20 from Target as a consolation prize?

This was their response to me after I contacted them. I wanted to know for sure what they were going to send out after the description on their website was changed.

Greetings from Target.com.

I'm sorry for any misunderstandings with your order item, "eTrex Legend C Bonus Pack." Unfortunately, your order was placed for the item version with the 8MB of flash memory. Therefore, I have canceled your order so that you may go back and place a new order for the item your wanting to purchase, "Garmin eTrex Legend C Pocket-Sized Color Handheld GPS--ETREXLEGENDC." The catalog number for this item is 650402 and the link is:

For any inconvenience this has caused you, I'm sending you a $20 promotional code to use toward any future order you may place on Target.com.

I'm curious if the $20 was only sent to those who contacted Target prior to shipment or order cancellation.

This is really sad! All of you knew that it was an mistake and were in high hopes of getting away with Target not catching it intill it was too late. I too would have liked to get a gps at that price, but why Are all of you acting like they owe you something for their mistake when you knew it was incorrect at the time you placed the order. You are acting like you got screwed and they did it knowingly. Its people like you who are turing this country into a $hit hole so they cought their mistake and corrected it. Did you ever think that all of you who contacted target questioning that the add was correct might have thrown up a red flag DUH! Greed is what kills let it be it was an honest mistake and no they should not owe anyone anything but a refund if a charge was placed. Get a life and go out caching.

OK...devils' advocate here.......

I did not "know" the add was a mistake.

I ordered the merchandise based on what was "advertised".

I did not call or email them to ask if this was really, really true.

I kept quiet....

They have shipped me something....will know what, when it arrives.

Fact: I ordered a color unit.

Fact: They have charged my credit card for presumeably, a "color" unit.

Fact: They will be hearing from me, if I do not receive what I ordered.

Enuf said.....

Edited by Go JayBee

Whether folks contacted Target or not, the Legend C Bonus Pack never existed in the first place. The only Legend Bonus Pack scheduled to become a part of their inventory is the older b/w model.

When the ad was first placed on their site as the Legend C Bonus Pack, it accurately described the Legend C; but mentioned nothing about what was included in the bonus pack. Prior to this ad, Target.com did not carry either the newer Legend C nor the Legend Bonus Pack (new items they were going to start carrying in time for the holiday season).

Looking back, it's rather obvious that someone mixed the descriptions up. An honest mistake. Target caught the error and started canceling the orders. A few got by and were sent out. Still, those that were sent out can be returned for a full refund. No one is being forced to keep something they don't want.

i got the same cancellation email. :)

but "Unfortunately, the following item is not currently available from any of our sources." is different than "oops, we messed up on the price".

so i replied nicely, to please keep my order open until they ARE available from your sources. or maybe a rain check?

we'll see

Just got the following email from Target.com:

=============================

Thank you for shopping at Target.com, your direct link to

the Target® stores you love.

Unfortunately, the following item is not currently available

from any of our sources.

"eTrex Legend C Bonus Pack"

We have cancelled this item from your order.

Because you only pay for items when we ship them to you, your credit

card

has not been charged for this item.

Therefore, we regret we will not be able to process your order. Your

order is now closed.

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address

that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this

message.

If you have further questions, please visit our online Help department.

Thank you for being a valued Guest. We hope you visit us again.

Sincerely,

Guest Services Department

Target.com

www.target.com

Edited by Neo_Geo

The one thing that annoyed me was that it took them a month from when I placed my order until they canceled the order. They could have canceled it at the moment they discovered their error. I have passed up on several other deals in the mean time. I too was hoping they would go through with the deal as Office Max had. Does that make me greedy? Call me what you want. I think they could of handled this a lot better. (Honest explainations would help. Typos and availability are not the issues)

BTW This was not the only forum where people were jumping on the deal. Other outdoor oriented forums such as Woodall's have an almost identical discussion thread.

About 18 months ago Kodak in the UK advertised a camera for £100 on its website, that was that had a list price of £280. I saw the ad just after it was posted and ordered one straight away. Within a short time the ad was pulled and an email was sent explaining the mistake. The national press got hold of the story and so Kodak decided as a good will gesture to honour any orders that were made!

It doesn't look like the outcome will be quite as positive in this case. I guess Kodak were more concerned about their public image and trust.

Martin :)

Well folks,

Just got off the phone with Target Corporate. Took a long time to explain that I ordered a color unit, but received the B/W instead. They agreed to send me a color unit (for $349) and I refused that saying I wouldn't pay that much for a color unit, that's why I ordered it for $169 to begin with. Tried to convince them that I should get the color unit for the advertised price. But I think they had their game plan, and held steadfast.

Final offer from Target was to give me a full credit, send me a $20 consolation certificate, and even have UPS pick up the B/W unit from my office, where I had it shipped to.

Just checked, and my account has been refunded in full (including shipping) because it was "an error by Target".

Guess it's time to fold 'em............

<_<

I got off the phone with target person and they said they could give me the $169 price if they get it avaiable in the future. I don't see this happening though...

Maybe in 2009, when the "Garmin Ten Generations from Now" comes out!

I got the email also. Called to express my disapointment. Sent me a $20 gift Certificate. Big deal. After waiting a month, and then just an email with a lame excuse, it just don't cut it. He first said the manufacturer sent them a notice that they could not fullfill the order. Then I pointed out that they had Legend C's for sale on their web site. Then he came clean with the real story that it was a mistake.

I think they should have honored it. :lol::lol::blink::blink::blink::D:D:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Any good business person who cares about customer good will, would have offered to sell the product at cost.

I agree...Look at Office Max for example, I am sure they did not want to take the loss for all of those Vista units, but they did.

They did not give me a $20 gift certificate though...I got nowhere with that call.

Ok guys! Bitching between each other is getting no where. Everyone needs to fill out a short complaint form on

www.mnd.bbb.org

and maybe something might happen. You just have to stand together. If only one person fills it out nothing is going to happen. Not to mention if something does happen and you didn't fill out a form don't think Target is going to contact you and make everything right.

Let's face the facts, it was you guys who tried to take advantage of Target's mistake that was obvious to everybody from day one. I wouldn't call that ethical business behavior. And now you are pretending that Target is trying to screw you over when it was you who tried to screw them over in the first place.

It's been a lost cause from day one and Target has appropriate disclaimers on their website to protect themselves from the consequences of pricing errors, so you aren't going anywhere with this, guys.

I wouldn't do business with you...