Legend C For $169.99 At Target

mattt

Welllll, I went for it too.

Maybe shoulda got 2...then sold 1 and my new eTrex Legend ...then the C i have left would be nearly free, right?

Don't feel that brave tonight. Gut instincts?

Did some web searching and found the C shipping now for $299. Teh Garmin site says it comes with software on CD and no case...could be the 'special' has no USB cord, no software, etc. and the price is real.

The pc-to GPS-r cable goes for $14.99.

Well it is a "Bonus Pack"...

Well, I missed out on the OMax/Vista episode, but just placed my order for 2 of these. If it goes through, the wife is gonna be pissed for a bit, but after I sell off the second plus my eTrex yellow, I'll be about even...

(BTW...that 10% discount still went through as valid even though it was supposed to expire on the 15th :D )

there is this one lil thing on the Target website under "Pricing"...

*If an item's correct price is lower than our stated price, we charge the lower amount and ship you the item.

*If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.

*If an item's correct price is lower than our stated price, we charge the lower amount and ship you the item.

*If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation.

um....like thios was pointed out on page one of this topic, but thanks for assuming no one could understand it, and posting it again.

um....like thios was pointed out on page one of this topic, but thanks for assuming no one could understand it, and posting it again.

missed that post.

so sue me.

Yup,

All you blabber mouths finally got their attention.

Just checked on my order online, the order description says: Legend C Bonus Pack...............but, clicking on link now brings up the Legend Bonus Pack. Complete with description of B/W unit, 8MB, carrying case, & video included.

I wonder if they are going to honor our orders for the COLOR units, or just blow us off. :laughing::blink::o

The description has now changed. You guys are getting the B&W Legend. Cancel now if you don't want to return it later.

Why are you always so negative? Every post I have seen, you are TELLING us something negative about this sale. If you don't want one and you think we are not the brightest for trying, then you don't need to read this forum. Some one needs to introduce you to Polly. When they send me the e-mail telling me of the mistake, I will politely decline the Legend and say, if I can't have a C then no thank you, don't tag my card.

Edited by Riddlers
The description has now changed. You guys are getting the B&W Legend. Cancel now if you don't want to return it later.

Why are you always so negative? Every post I have seen, you are TELLING us something negative about this sale. If you don't want one and you think we are not the brightest for trying, then you don't need to read this forum. Some one needs to introduce you to Polly. When they send me the e-mail telling me of the mistake, I will politely decline the Legend and say, if I can't have a C then no thank you, don't tag my card.

Exactly..........

I am also considering waiting until just a few days before the promised shipping date and calling them with: "Hey, I see you changed the description in your ad....what's up with this? I THOUGHT I was getting a COLOR unit!!!!!!!! Is this the way Target does business?...........If so, you have lost another customer to your shoddy sales techniques.

I did happen to save the original ad for the Legend C as a PDF file if anyone is interested. Figured I might have to use it as leverage with the VP of sales.

As someone here in the forums says (I think it is Prime Suspect)....

"don't mess with a geocacher, we know all the good places to hide bodies".

Printing the old page is totally unnecessary, they won't care. As the Terms and Conditions page on target.com says:

"The information on this Web site may contain typographical errors or inaccuracies and may not be complete or current. We therefore reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update information at any time without prior notice (including after you have submitted your order). Please note that such errors, inaccuracies or omissions may relate to product description, pricing and availability. [...] If you are not fully satisfied with your purchase you may return it with the original packing receipt [...] within 90 days of the order date. Additional restrictions apply."

Here is the latest from Target after an e-mail:

Sorry all!!!!

Greetings from Target.com.

Please accept our sincere apologies that the title listed on our Web

site for the eTrex Legend Bonus Pack was incorrect at the time you

placed your order. This title discrepancy was due to a technical

error, and was on the site a short time before we were able to

correct it. It appears your order was placed during this time.

We will of course understand if you no longer want this item. You

can cancel unshipped items online and we'll send you an e-mail

confirmation of your cancellation. Just follow these steps:

1. Click the "My Account" link at the top of our home page

(http://www.target.com).

2. Click "Cancel items or orders."

3. Sign in with your e-mail address and password.

4. Click the "View or change order" button on the relevant order.

5. Click "Need to cancel an item?"

6. Click the checkbox next to "Cancel 1 item" for any items you'd

like to cancel.

7. Click the "Cancel checked items" button.

Again, please accept our apologies for this error.

But it does say it: "the title listed on our Web site for the eTrex Legend Bonus Pack was incorrect". Because it was "eTrex Legend C Bonus Pack".

Sure, that's a simple typo. The only problem is that they had the entire decription of the Legend C in there. I know very well that that won't make a difference to them, but I also don't have to shop there and have no problem making that clear. This is walking a REAL close line of the "bait-and-switch" that Trader Horn and TOPS used to use a few years back.

Jeesh you guys. Some flunky at Target who knows nothing about GPSrs makes an error. Like any large company it takes a long time for info provided to people that the ad was wrong to filter out to the people to actually verify and then change it. Now you're saying because they actaully fixed their error weeks before the delivery date it's a bait and switch or you're going to fight them about it. PUHLEESE! You all knew this was a steal and possibly a long shot. Heaven forbid not everyone be 100% perfect in their jobs. Quit your whining and start looking for the next good deal. :)

Heaven forbid not everyone be 100% perfect in their jobs.

Why not....I am. How am I supposed to know it's a steal? Target is a big company, maybe they are getting a shipload of these in and are able to sell at an unbeleivable price?

I have not gotten another peep out of target, since receiving the order confirmation for "Legend C Bonus Pack"............

I don't hear ANY of us who have ordered these, complaining......it's only been those of you who apparently think you are smarter than us, reminding about pricing policies, and questioning our morals.

I'm not gonna start crying about it, if the deal doesn't pan out........it's just like putting that chip on the Black Jack or Craps table, if you lose it, better luck next time.

I don't hear ANY of us who have ordered these, complaining......it's only been those of you who apparently think you are smarter than us, reminding about pricing policies, and questioning our morals.

FYI, I ordered one and then canceled it when it became apparent it wasn't just a really good deal.

Some of us just choose to stay at the table a little while longer......your call.

No hard feelings,

JayBee

I too have not received any e-mails and looking at another forum, the ones who made a great deal on vistas when they were priced wrong have now received their vistas. I am with Jay Bee, and staying on the table a little longer.

Hey, I'm not coming down on you people trying to get a good deal. I'm saying the people that are throwing around terms like "bait and switch" and saving copies of web pages are just pushing things too far.

But it does say it: "the title listed on our Web site for the eTrex Legend Bonus Pack was incorrect". Because it was "eTrex Legend C Bonus Pack".

Sure, that's a simple typo. The only problem is that they had the entire decription of the Legend C in there. I know very well that that won't make a difference to them, but I also don't have to shop there and have no problem making that clear. This is walking a REAL close line of the "bait-and-switch" that Trader Horn and TOPS used to use a few years back.

Correct. The listing said Legend C and the description was accurate for a Legend C. As of a couple of days ago the listing was now for a Legend, with the appropriate description. They no longer have any listing for a Legend C.

I don't believe you can call this a bait and switch. The bait part would refer to some advertisement they did to get you in the store (or in this case the website) and then when you get there they switch the item for a cheaper version than advertised. In this case we were already in their store. Just a case of something being mismarked. I don't know if there are any legalities with that, but whatever (if any) legalities there are for bait and switch shouldn't apply here.

That being said, Dec is a long way away. I prefer to wait it out to see what Target will do. I've got nothing to lose up until the shipping date. I just wish Target hadn't got swamped with emails and calls from those of us that were too impatient, thus giving them ample time to change the deal. B)

I don't believe you can call this a bait and switch.  The bait part would refer to some advertisement they did to get you in the store (or in this case the website) and then when you get there they switch the item for a cheaper version than advertised.  In this case we were already in their store.  Just a case of something being mismarked.  I don't know if there are any legalities with that, but whatever (if any) legalities there are for bait and switch shouldn't apply here.

That being said, Dec is a long way away.  I prefer to wait it out to see what Target will do.  I've got nothing to lose up until the shipping date.  I just wish Target hadn't got swamped with emails and calls from those of us that were too impatient, thus giving them ample time to change the deal. B)

When Office Max made their seemingly mistake with the Vistas, I'm sure they got quite a few queries in regard to delivery, correctness of the ad, etc. Once noticed, they pulled the Garmins off their site for a short while. At least OM honored the price. We might've had to wait a while to receive it, but they did eventually get delivered.

When Office Max made their seemingly mistake with the Vistas, I'm sure they got quite a few queries in regard to delivery, correctness of the ad, etc.  Once noticed, they pulled the Garmins off their site for a short while. At least OM honored the price. We might've had to wait  a while to receive it, but they did eventually get delivered.

That was more of my point. OM made a mistake, but DID honor that price. I understand that it is stated in Target's pricing policy that they reserve the right to canel an order if it was a pricing error, but IMHO that is a horible business practice. When I am looking to purchase something, I get prices from as many places as I posibly can and then jump at the best deal. By canceling my order because of an error on their part has simply lost any future business that they might have gotten from me.

That being said, Dec is a long way away.  I prefer to wait it out to see what Target will do.  I've got nothing to lose up until the shipping date.  I just wish Target hadn't got swamped with emails and calls from those of us that were too impatient, thus giving them ample time to change the deal. :lol:

I don't think that it was the phone calls and emails that tipped them off to this. They are apparently more on the ball than OM is, and either:

1) Saw the sales for this one product suddenly skyrocket for no apparent reason.

or

2) Their web admin actually has a clue and saw a ton of hits to that product coming from the link in this thread...all they'd have to do is read through this thread to see why it became so popular:D

"I don't think that it was the phone calls and emails that tipped them off to this. They are apparently more on the ball than OM is, and either:

1) Saw the sales for this one product suddenly skyrocket for no apparent reason.

or

2) Their web admin actually has a clue and saw a ton of hits to that product coming from the link in this thread...all they'd have to do is read through this thread to see why it became so popular:D"

From Office Max:

"Prices and items are subject to change without notice. OfficeMax.com reserves the right to limit purchase quantities and to discontinue items. OfficeMax.com is not responsible for, and will not honor, printing or typographical errors."

They state roughly the same policy as Target, but yet they chose to honor the listing.

Edited by wvcoalcat

my orderr stilll states C.

the link is to the regular legend.

the original item was in Lawn and Patio dept, the reg legend is camping accessories...interesting change there!

I have received no email contact since the confirmation...

if i can return it to my (relatively) local store for a full refund, i will.

if i have to pay for shipping to them, i am less happy.

if i have to pay a 15% restocking fee (per their return policy on their website for 'portable electonics') then i will be downright POd.

To get them to accept the return and get 100% refund, i have to get them to admit the error was theirs....

anyone dealt with Target on returns? I can tell you about Walmart, Bestbuy and Kmart.

we still have time....

From Office Max:

"Prices and items are subject to change without notice. OfficeMax.com reserves the right to limit purchase quantities and to discontinue items. OfficeMax.com is not responsible for, and will not honor, printing or typographical errors."

They state roughly the same policy as Target, but yet they chose to honor the listing.

Now THAT is a beautiful thing...and exactly my point of OM doing the honorable thing be making good on their screw up. I guess that we'll see what happens from here. My chips are staying on the table until they confirm otherwise.

I recieved an e-mail from Target today:

"Greetings from Target.com.

I've researched your order and it appears that this is a widespread

problem with this item. Unfortunately, we will be unable to send

you the eTrex Legend C Bonus Pack you ordered. As a result, I've

cancelled your order.

We do take full responsibility for this error, and as a measure of

goodwill I would like to offer you a $20 discount to use on your

next order. You will find the details of this discount below."

No eTrex Legend C for Christmas, but at least Target did admit that they made a mistake. I'll just have to save a few more pennies for one.

Hmm. They appear to be handling the emails on a LI-FO basis. I was quick to jump on this deal early, yet I have heard nothing from Target yet.

It's a bummer to see that they won't honor the price, bit it's good to see that they are at least making an effort to make the perceived loss to the consumer less painful by including the $20 discount.

Guess I'll just wait for the email to arrive. Nothing to lose by waiting.

I suspect that the price for the vistas from OM was pretty close to their actual price, or close enough not to be a big deal to them. The price difference on the legend C at Target however was way out there. I have no ill feelings at all toward Target since they are following the rules they have made for all to see, not that I'm not disapointed at not getting the C.

As for comparison shopping and missing out on some other deal because of this, come on, you knew it was a mistake from the start. You are grasping at straws here to try to get a deal. If they offered you a brand new Corvette for $19.99 you would order one of course (or three) but would you really expect to get it and stop shopping for cars because you think it's a done deal. Everyone here knew it was a longshot from the very start. Are you really going to boycott Target because they made a simple mistake, followed their rules to fix it, and you didn't get more than you really deserve? Seems a little childish to me.

I'm not speaking to any one person here, but everyone that is miffed at the fact that they didn't get an awesome deal. How does that make geocachers in general look to the people at Target?

Since it appears taht they are trying to make good with the $20 certificate, that does add some points in their favor. But like I said, I still fell that this is poor business practice on their part. The OM error was $100 below what it was supposed to be...that's not exactly close, but they still honored the orders.

What it comes down to in my mind is that if I should come across 2 items for a similar price that are offered by both of those stores, OfficeMax will get my business over Target.

I have note received an e-mail yet. Since most of us have not, it is interesting that only a few have gone out yet. Maybe they feel that they can give some but not all. If the e-mails are going out, at least we won't have to worry about returning it and if some are lucky, I can still hope. Until that e-mail comes. . .

Maybe it's a case of having a limit of the C model Garmin will let them have?

I don't think Target would have a limit on anything they would order from a supplier.... do you?

I ordered one and I'll keep my fingers crossed untill I get the evil e-mail from Target or the Legend C arrives in the mail....... I hope it's the later.

I'm with you, stickwalker...........

Have not received the bad news yet myself...Will leave my bet on the table awhile longer.

My e-mail came after I inquired about my order because the link now took me to the Legend Bonus Pack and not the C one. I sent an e-mail wanting to know why the link was now redirected to the Legend Bonus Pack and my order showed the Legend C Bonus Pack. The first e-mail I recieved from Target basically said to bad and if you don't like it cancel. I then sent them a second e-mail explaining my feelings and how I didn't feel they were dealing with the customers fairly by switching products and not telling them. That is when I recieved a much nicer e-mail explaining that they had screwed up and was cancelling the order, and gave me twenty dollar gift card.

Maybe you will still get lucky, but from the two e-mails I received, I get the impression that no one is getting the eTrex Legend C, but they will be getting the eTrex Legend.