Got my Vista Yesterday and first geo cache today!

Team Covalt

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Roger:

My son and I went looking for our first geocache today.

You do realize what you've done don't you?

Run! Run now! Run Fast, while you still can! This game is as addicting as it gets. Soon you'll be making up reasons to go. Like: (I gotta have that PowerPuff Girls decal listed in the cache contents!) and (Just want to check GPS accuracy dear. I'll be right back...)You'll never get that cache monkey off your back.

Seriously; Congratulations and welcome aboard. I'd say more but I have to go find that D*** cache monkey.

geosign.gif

quote:

Vista worked great. Only problem was a forementioned problem about tree cover and no satelite. But as soon as I was in the open, we had coverage.

Welcome to the addiction. icon_smile.gif

One quick hint too. Let the GPS get a location fix in an open area before heading into the woods. It takes it a little while (45sec to a minute) to get the initial fix, but after that it should have little trouble in all but the most dense woods. If you turn it on while in the woods, it may have trouble getting the initial fix.

rdw

quote:

Vista worked great. Only problem was a forementioned problem about tree cover and no satelite. But as soon as I was in the open, we had coverage.

Welcome to the addiction. icon_smile.gif

One quick hint too. Let the GPS get a location fix in an open area before heading into the woods. It takes it a little while (45sec to a minute) to get the initial fix, but after that it should have little trouble in all but the most dense woods. If you turn it on while in the woods, it may have trouble getting the initial fix.

rdw

quote:

My son and I went looking for our first geocache today (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9273) and found it with no problems.

Thanks for choosing my cache for your first! I look forward to returning the compliment, by searching for your first hide!!

Pereginus

quote:

My son and I went looking for our first geocache today (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9273) and found it with no problems.

i bought the garmin etrex this week at amazon.com largely based upon recommendation of geocache.com web site. at $100 it is hard to go wrong. i can't wait to get GPS on apr 3 or so and find my first cache

I work with Ranger Roger. He is doing okay. Although he won't let me touch his GPS yet, I have SEEN IT.

Just kidding.

There are six geocachers at work (that I know of) with one not even logging his finds.

Besides me, there is the aforementioned RR, Old Frenchy(who got the monkey on my back),KF6CMP, Jaxxom and KF6OFU (the non logger). There are two more who are interested at work. One said he could not figure out a name for himself yet.

More monkeys!

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".