Gpses And Mac Users

I've never bought Virtual PC, although ages ago I had a copy of SoftPC on my Mac.

If I get a copy, which one should I get? I noticed there are three installs, Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Home, and Windows 2000. I haven't heard good things about XP even from Windows users.

I guess I just need the minimum that will run MapSource applications as well as a few other apps that don't run on my Mac.

Parsa

I've never bought Virtual PC, although ages ago I had a copy of SoftPC on my Mac.

If I get a copy, which one should I get? I noticed there are three installs, Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Home, and Windows 2000. I haven't heard good things about XP even from Windows users.

I guess I just need the minimum that will run MapSource applications as well as a few other apps that don't run on my Mac.

Parsa

Unless you have a G5, VPC6 should be fine.

Of the different Window versions Windows 2000 runs the fastest on VP6 (even faster than Windows 98). If you move up to later versions of Windows you'll see a decrease in performance.

I had both 98 and Xp installed via VPC and dumped both of them have stuck with Win 2000.

Run Mapsource and virtually all the GPS utilities with no problems.

I can even run TOPO 3D -- just takes a few seconds for the screen to update when rendering a 3D map. Not too shabby.

Update: I should point out that 98 runs great on VP6. Just 10 tgo 20 slower than Wind 2000. (atl least according to the old Connectix website).

Win 2000 is optimized and is more easily emulated by VPC for some reason.

Edited by jollybgood
Yeah, you're kind of hosed.

I've heard of nobody reporting success with virtual PC on the USB units, so you can't load maps without a PC.

Working solutions to transfer waypoints, tracks, and routes via USB to Garmins on anything other than Windows is rare. I think GPSBabel's USB support for Linux is the only one available right now. I tackled the OSX version of the same and got nailed by the Garmin 60's USB implementation not listening to the (legal) way OSX was talking. Apple's agreed to implement a fix in the next OS version.

I don't know if LegendC has the same defect as the 18 and the 60 do. Next time I publish a beta, you can give it a try; I'll recognize the failure case.

The punchline in all of this is that a LegendC (and vistaC and quest) users have no current options that I can think of for OSX for maps, waypoints, tracks, or routes. The latter three will come with GPSBabel (and thus MacGPSBabel) once the successor to 10.3.6 ships. Maps are a different problem.

BTW VPC7 has been out for a while and it hasn't fixed the USB problem as far as Garmin GPS units. The problem is clearly with Garmin's driver and not OSX/VPC.

So until Garmin or a third party writes a new driver we Mac Users and stuck with using seral adapters.

It's curous Missing Sync is able to connect the iQue to OSX. Probably because of it's Palm OS roots.

As a fellow Mac user (sporting a G5), I've been frustrated for quite a while with Garmin's lack of support for the Mac. I had emailed them quite a while back and got the "We have no plans to support the Macintosh at this time blah blah" response.

It seems to me there are a few options:

1) Reverse-engineer it. It seems to me there are plenty of extremely capable people who Geocache. Of course, this is illegal under the DMCCA, so the authors would have to remain anonymous, but since Garmin has shown no interest in doing it for the past few years, it would seem users are going to have to take matters into their own hands.

2) Buy a PC. You can get a used box on eBay for a song. Stuff it in the closet when you're not using it.

3) Buy stock in Garmin. As a shareholder, you carry more weight. If enough shareholders clamour for it, it could make a difference. However the chances of enough Mac users buying stock in Garmin to make a difference is pretty small.

4) Cry a lot. This is what I've been doing. ;)

Magellan is no better.

I wanted to download the software for a Magellan GPS Companion I bought on Ebay for my Handspring Visor PDA. The download information had the requirements, and one was that you needed a PC. I thought, what the heck, let me download it and see what it is. So I downloaded it, and opened up the zip file. All the files were Palm files. Not one .exe file in the folder. I can load these on the Visor just as easily on a Mac as on a PC.

So, being the nice guy I am, I wrote them an email saying that the files would run on any platform, including a Mac, since all you needed was the HotSync software.

Magellan didn't really read my email evidently. Here is their reply to my note:

Dear Steven,

Unfortunately, none of our products are compatible with MAC operating systems.  You would need to use a PC to upgrade to the new software.

Thank you and have a great day,

Steve Pappalardo

Magellan Technical Support

(800) 707-9971 - USA & Canada

(909) 394-5000  -Outside USA

Thales Navigation

960 Overland Court

San Dimas, CA 92407

These guys are only a little over an hour drive from me. I feel like visiting and asking them to get the cotton out of their ears, and to realize that they're losing a wide open market.

Parsa

Magellan is no better.

Actually, they are, but in a more passive way than you might hope.

Magellan produces documentation on their PC file formats as well as their waypoint, route, and track protocols that is actually complete and matches the implementation which allows others to develop software for those tasks. The Mapping format is not documented by either company, so that's a wash.

Off the cuff, I'd say the Garmin (mapsource, serial, usb) support in GPSBabel has a development cost of about 15 times what the comparabie Magellan support did. (This is the reason I'm refusing to touch the .gdb format, too.)

I was pondering picking up a cheap, used PC simply to put maps on my GPS. Here's what I discovered:

* It's very hard to find cheap, used PCs. They're either balls-to-the-walls, or so ill-equipped as to be unusable.

* A new PC is, in many cases, cheaper than a used PC. WalMart sells a fully decked-out HP machine that runs at almost 3 GHz for under $500. Unfortunately, it comes with a monitor, speakers, and all kinds of other stuff I don't want or need.

* Having Windows already installed on a PC adds about $125 to the pricetag.

I finally went over to a friend's house and installed it on his PC. Allow me to explain my experience:

Install CitySelect. Computer doesn't know it has a USB GPS connected. Try and install driver. Computer can't find driver. Inform computer that driver is on CD. Must disconnect and reconnect GPS. Go to update unit. Program crashes during update while GPS says "LOADING...". Panic. Reboot GPS. GPS shows new software version number, but I'm worried anyway. Run updater again. It can't find GPS. Turn GPS off and on again. Software can't find GPS. Off and on. Software finds GPS, then crashes again during install. Off and on again. Software works, GPS updated. Download maps into GPS. Insert Topo CD into drive. Autoloader crashes. Try again. Autoloader crashes. Run software manually (gee, it works). Download manual for GPS from Gramin to answer question. Do search in Acrobat. Search returns results. Try another search. Search no longer works. Praise God above that I have a Mac, and that I didn't waste my money on a PC.

Maybe we're going at this the wrong way...

Are any of you guys programmers?

There are several programs for making maps for Garmin GPSs. Programs to aide in making and loading maps include:

MapEdit

cGPSmapper

SendMap

MapDekode

GPSMap

You can find info and links here.

Why not make Mac programs that do the same, then we can load our own maps into the Garmin. The topos on Garmin's CD are only 1:100000 anyway. It would be better to have 7.5 minute topos. Topo graphics (DRGs) are available for free from state GIS sites.

Parsa

I wanted to provide a quick update to my earlier rants about Garmin's lack of Mac support relating to my recent purchase of their awesome 60CS.

I found a solution that's working well so far: Garmin serial cable + KeySpan serial-USB adapter + MacGPS Pro. About $90 total. MacGPS Pro is a very capable program, with a great reputation for customer support, which I can vouch for personally. I called their support line got a quick and courteous bit of advice and I was up and running in minutes. I dislike having to jump through all the hoops because GPS manufacturers can't see a market other than Gates-ware in front of them, but my solution appears to be workable for the foreseeable future.

I grabbed the very first iPod mini in my state, and I would be first in line for an Apple GPS receiver. They are the one company that could make GPS as ubiquitous as portable music devices, PDA's and even cell phones. Apple could absolutely kick butt with a GPS unit, and, for that matter, a PDA (Newtons were and are so cool), mobile phones...

I could keep going, but I'm across the country from my home for a few days, and I have a buttload of caches to find!

- Pablo Mac from Oregon

Your solution is great if you are using a computer in the car. I use GPSy to do the same thing. In fact, I used an old Powerbook Duo to track my progress along Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica by means of 1:100000 DRGs. If tracking on a computer as an auto navigation system is all you need, there are a few solutions that work fine on Macs, such as GPSy, MacGPS Pro, Route USA 2004 by Route 66, and National Geographic Topo! The last three are native in OSX. GPSy is still lagging.

However, it doesn't help much on the GPS receiver itself if you are going on a geocaching hike. If you can't load maps, you might as well have an old unit like my 12XL with no maps except the track screen.

Being able to make and load maps to a Garmin would be a big deal for a lot of people.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
Your solution is great if you are using a computer in the car. I use GPSy to do the same thing. In fact, I used an old Powerbook Duo to track my progress along Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica by means of 1:100000 DRGs. If tracking on a computer as an auto navigation system is all you need, there are a few solutions that work fine on Macs, such as GPSy, MacGPS Pro, Route USA 2004 by Route 66, and National Geographic Topo! The last three are native in OSX. GPSy is still lagging.

However, it doesn't help much on the GPS receiver itself if you are going on a geocaching hike. If you can't load maps, you might as well have an old unit like my 12XL with no maps except the track screen.

Being able to make and load maps to a Garmin would be a big deal for a lot of people.

Parsa

You can load maps with Virtual PC on a Mac using MapSource a Serial cable for the 60C or any other Garmin that has a serial port and a serial to USB adaptor.

You can load maps with Virtual PC on a Mac using MapSource a Serial cable for the 60C or any other Garmin that has a serial port and a serial to USB adaptor.

I believe that's been brought up in this thread. I'd rather do my mapping and GPS uploading with a native OS X app. My goal is a Microsoft-less, especially a Windoze-less solution. Besides, I gave away my copy of VPC because it wouldn't run on my new G5. :grin:

I am (ahem...cough) "testing" VPC 7 on my G5. If it works, I'll see about purchasing it once I can get it unbundled with Windows XP. I'll let people know. All indications are that it won't work with USB, but hopefully with serial (slow, but better than nothing).

Your serial/adapter should work fine with VPC 7 and a G5. But yes -- USB as far as Garmins is still broken. Problem seems to be with Garmin's driver and not OSX or VPC since virtually ever other USB device I have works with VPC7.

Edited by jollybgood

I’m not convinced that OS X doesn’t have something to do with the problem.

I have been able to connect my Legend C via USB to my Mac running Virtual PC 6 and it works fine – but only if I boot in OS 9.2.

If I try the same set-up in 10.3.6, my Virtual PC doesn’t recognize that my GPS is connected. Other USB devices work fine, but not the Legend C.

Very frustrating! I thought having a native USB connection on the GPS would make things easier with my Mac, not more complicated!

I’m not convinced that OS X doesn’t have something to do with the problem.

I have been able to connect my Legend C via USB to my Mac running Virtual PC 6 and it works fine – but only if I boot in OS 9.2.

If I try the same set-up in 10.3.6, my Virtual PC doesn’t recognize that my GPS is connected. Other USB devices work fine, but not the Legend C.

Very frustrating! I thought having a native USB connection on the GPS would make things easier with my Mac, not more complicated!

OSX is a huge part of the problem. Well not because OS X itself is at fault but because Windows is such a standards nightmare. Windows doesn't require a strict adherence to the USB standard. Apparently Windows nearly totally disregards the USB data header. Without the header your much more prone to corrupt data. Well since Windows doesn't really follow the standard apparently Garmin didn't feel it necessary to follow it as well. Because of this OSX is rejecting Garmin USB devices as they don't communicate in a way that it feels is acceptable. Apparently there is some work within Apple to improve their USB implementation to be more accepting of poorly implemented USB devices. From what I've read though the fix will most likely not make it into OSX until 10.4 or later.

I believe that's been brought up in this thread. I'd rather do my mapping and GPS uploading with a native OS X app. My goal is a Microsoft-less, especially a Windoze-less solution. Besides, I gave away my copy of VPC because it wouldn't run on my new G5. :rolleyes:

I agree on the NO MICROSUX thing. If you read my previous post you will understand one of the million reasons why.

I stated the bit about the serial adaptor in reply to Parsa's post in which he said you couldn't load maps from a Mac.

Well, I finished installing Virtual PC 7 on my machine, only to fail to get it to function with the GPS. No USB of course, but it also won't work with my Keyspan Serial Adapter. I installed the Keyspan drivers for OS X (and not in Windows XP, which is what I had read online). It saw the GPS, briefly, and then the Keyspan adapter started blinking. Now the Keyspan adapter is no longer functional, even without VPC running. The little green light just blinks, regardless of whether I turn everything off and on again, disconnect cables, etc.

On the positive note, I didn't buy VPC, so I'm not out any money, just a bunch of time.

Edited by Indiana Cojones

I'm reading this thread... and reading and reading... [grin] !!

I am a new Garmin Etrex Legend user, and a Max OS X user.

I downloaded the "GPS Connect for OS X" app, and I'll go out and buy a Serial to USB adaptor.

I've never even downloaded waypoints on the PC, nor have I uploaded maps, so I'm new to that.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there a specific adaptor I should buy (brand, or description, etc.) or will any serial to USB work?

2. Do the map upload and waypoint download functions actually work with this shareware app and the cable adaptor?

3. Will it befuddle me since I haven't even done a PC-side download of waypoints? Followup question: Should I find some non-Mac friend and practice first before I attempt it on the Mac?

4. (Last question) Am I asking for a tough "row to hoe" by trying to stay on the Mac - Should I just make put the whole shebang on some friend's PC and suffer that inconvenience?

Personal opinions are certainly welcome!

Thanks for thinking about this, and for helping me to move forward. Too many caches, too little time!

--Marc

>>Here are my questions:

>>1. Is there a specific adaptor I should buy (brand, or description, etc.) or will any serial to USB work?

I use a Keyspan adapter which works. I've heard some don't work, so I'll let others reply. See Indy's post above.

>>2. Do the map upload and waypoint download functions actually work with this shareware app and the cable adaptor?

You can't upload Garmin's maps except in a Windows environment (there... is that a better way to put it folks?). You either need a PC or Virtual PC on your Mac. You can however upload tracks, routes and waypoints via the serial cable. I know of two programs that may work: GPS Connect and Mac SimpleGPS.

>>3. Will it befuddle me since I haven't even done a PC-side download of waypoints? Followup question: Should I find some non-Mac friend and practice first before I attempt it on the Mac?

You may have to play with things, but you'll figure it out. I personally have the problem that all except the new beta version of Mac SimpleGPS won't open larger GPX files (Pocket Queries), and GPS Connect won't talk to my Garmin but will open the files. I was opening the file in GPS Connect, saving it, then opening that with Mac SimpleGPS in order to send it to the Garmin. (I think I could also convert the GPX file to an LOC file with GPS Babel and open that with SimpleGPS.) Version 7b of SimpleGPS (a beta version) does open the files, but seems to have some bugs yet. This version has some wizz bang features that include working with Safari and Mapquest.

>>4. (Last question) Am I asking for a tough "row to hoe" by trying to stay on the Mac - Should I just make put the whole shebang on some friend's PC and suffer that inconvenience?

No offense to our Windows using friends, but you know the Mac OS is better and we just need map software from the companies such as Garmin. They could *easily* do it. Why they won't is a mystery to me. To save on the inconvenience, either go out and buy an old cheapo PC that can act as a GPS workhorse or get Virtual PC for your Mac. I'm sure there are lots of folks with old PCs lying around in closets and under beds. Just ask your friends.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
SimpleGPS won't open larger GPX files (Pocket Queries), and GPS Connect won't talk to my Garmin but will open the files. I was opening the file in GPS Connect, saving it, then opening that with Mac SimpleGPS in order to send it to the Garmin. (I think I could also convert the GPX file to an LOC file with GPS Babel and open that with SimpleGPS.) Version 7b of SimpleGPS (a beta version) does

[ /me scratches head ]

You know that MacGPSBabel will read PQ's of any size and do the upload to your serial Garmin, right? Why are GPSConnect and SimpleGPS involved in this picture?

Thanks Parsa & Robert!

I'll pick up the Keyspan, and your explanations help me understand the process. I did know that a PC is needed for the maps, but I'm glad to hear I will be able to end the "joysticking" of entering locations by "finger." I have the MacGPSBabel and look forward to giving it a try.

--Marc

December 23, 2004 @ 10:07pm

Well, I was planning on buying my 1st GPS and I decided on the Legend C...then I read this thread. I'm a Mac user and I'm disappointed. So I have a new plan:

I'll get a Legend (greyscale) now and use a serial/USB adapter. Then, when Tiger(10.4) comes out and/or when I find out that I can at least download waypoints, I'll upgrade to the C.

How does that sound?

thanks,

-Matt

How about a Garmin 60c? I think that one works OK with the serial connection and USB.

Nope. See my posts on this subject including the one in this very thread from Nov. 28.

The Garmin USB units (at least the 60C/76C and the 18's) are so terribly non-conformant to the USB specs that they will not work with unmodified OS/X. Even if a software developer is really determined to make it work -and I have some proof that I was the first to try it with GPSBabel - the Garmins won't work with OSX until they modify the stack to humor the protocol violation.

The needed fix isn't in 10.3.7. It's allegedly in 10.4 and will allegedly be available for 10.3 sometime.

Thanks for the response Parsa and Robert. I ordered the Legend (Amazon $136).

I do some Mac programming & QA, so maybe I'll check out the GPSBabel project once I get some experience with the unit. Robert, I'd also be into beta testing anything that you might need help with.

I would like to do whatever I can to support the Mac community in general and specifically related to GPS units since the manufacturers seem to be ignoring it.

-Matt

i think ive posted this before, but here goes...

i am a mac os x user, i have both a garmin etrex legend and a vista. i also have a keyspan usb to serial adaptor...

the software i use is...

MacCMConvert to do its thing with the PQ file to make it into a pdb for my palm for cachemate..

and for my gps' i use.. hiketech's link2gps and gpswrite which communicate well with the etrex's i have. i can easily work with all my waypoints.

although any and all work on making mac gps software is appreciated.

i have tried virtual pc with mapsource metroguide usa and it doesnt recognise the gps at all.

Chris

i think ive posted this before, but here goes...

i am a mac os x user, i have both a garmin etrex legend and a vista. i also have a keyspan usb to serial adaptor...

the software i use is...

MacCMConvert to do its thing with the PQ file to make it into a pdb for my palm for cachemate..

and for my gps' i use.. hiketech's link2gps and gpswrite which communicate well with the etrex's i have. i can easily work with all my waypoints.

although any and all work on making mac gps software is appreciated.

i have tried virtual pc with mapsource metroguide usa and it doesnt recognise the gps at all.

Chris

Your GPS should communicate with VPC via your adapter. Sounds like you have everything you need.

Without knowing the details of your set-up it's hard to offer any assistance.

You might try the following;

Fire up VPC and THEN plug in your adapter/GPS. Not sure what version of VPC you have but early versions could take as long as two minutes to recongize a new USB device.

Make sure you have USB enabled via VPC preferences.

Also make sure the box for your adapter is connected. If VPC sees/recognizes your keyspan adapter should show on the list of available devices.

I don't use the keyspan adapter so I'm not sure how the drivers work. On some adapters you have to install the drivers both in Windows (VPC) and in OSX to get things to work properly.

I'm sure someone will post if this is the case with the keyspan.

After a 12 year hiatus from the world of Apple, Santa presented us with an iBook. (1.33 GHZ, 256RAM, 60K hard drive) For caching we are currently using his gifts from the prior years, a Magellan Color with Direct Route and a Palm Zier 21. We get waypoints and cache pages into them using GSAK and Cache Mate on an older Dell running (except when it's crashing) Doz 98.

My question is, beyond using the laptop to log our finds when on a trip, how can we best incorporate it into our geocaching? Most of the comments in this thread seem to deal with Garmins, how much of it applies to the Magellan? Is anyone using a Mac with a Magellan? I should further point out that we do not have technical backgrounds and although we use our computer a lot we have rather slow learning curves. What I mean is that what we really need is "Geo-Mac For Dummies" (Old Dummies at that.)

After a 12 year hiatus from the world of Apple, Santa presented us with an iBook. (1.33 GHZ, 256RAM, 60K hard drive) For caching we are currently using his gifts from the prior years, a Magellan Color with Direct Route and a Palm Zier 21.  We get waypoints and cache pages into them using GSAK and Cache Mate on an older Dell running (except when it's crashing) Doz 98.

My question is, beyond using the laptop to log our finds when on a trip, how can we best incorporate it into our geocaching? Most of the comments in this thread seem to deal with Garmins, how much of it applies to the Magellan? Is anyone using a Mac with a Magellan? I should further point out that we do not have technical backgrounds and although we use our computer a lot we have rather slow learning curves. What I mean is that what we really need is "Geo-Mac For Dummies" (Old Dummies at that.)

I just went on an off-roading cache trip to Yucca Valley and Desert Hot Springs here in California. I had my 12" Powerbook with me. I connected my Garmin to the Powerbook using a serial cable and adapter. I had National Geographic Topo running on it. At least National Geographic released a mac version, but it's kind of buggy. Sometimes the maps don't load properly. Anyway, I was tracking my position on the computer and all the caches were displayed on the topos. I just used MacGPSBabel to convert the GPX file from geocaching.com into a .tpg file for Topo. Topo imported the cache locations perfectly.

I also have Street Atlas USA 6 if I want to track street maps instead of topographic maps.

BTW, Cachemate works fine if you load it from the Mac. I use MacCMConvert as mentioned above to convert Mac files to Palm files. MacGPSBabel seems to do a good job of converting GPX files to Topo files and Nav Companion files.

I used GPSy to track my path along Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica. It has the disadvantage of having to load each map manually, but the great advantage of free maps online, and not having to spend $100 for each state as you do with National Geographic Topo. GPSy tracks perfectly on the maps, but if I had to get a software for cross country driving now, I would probably get Route 66 for Mac (kind of appropriate huh?).

>>1. Is there a specific adaptor I should buy (brand, or description, etc.) or will any serial to USB work?

I use a Keyspan adapter which works. I've heard some don't work, so I'll let others reply. See Indy's post above.

--Marc

January 1, 2005 @ 11:25 PM

After connecting the Serial/USB adaptor and powering up both the Mac and the Garmin GPS, I only see the choice of "modem" in the pull-down menu of the "GPSconnect" app. (I expect to see something different as the PDF docs indicate). If I don't see anything besides the "modem" choice, is this a clue that I need to buy a different serial/USB cable? I used a generic one I had for my Palm.

I also have had no luck with "MacGPSBabel" either. Does this, again, sound like my serial/USB is not working correctly?

Thanks.

--Marc

January 1, 2005 @ 11:24 PM

My MacGPS Pro and MacCMConvert solution is working well with my G5 & Garmin 60CS. I wonder if there is a program that can merge two or more gpx files and delete duplicate waypoints and also strip the "GC" from the waypoint names. A PeeCee friend has a program(s) that does that (GSAK?), and it sure seems like a nice way to fine-tune things. Any ideas out there? Thanx!

I recently got a Belkin USB-serial adapter working with OS X and my Garmin Legend. It's a Belkin F5U103 that they don't support past OS 9. I wrote a blog entry on how I did it (searching the 'net for what other people suggested). Hopefully it will be of some help to others:

http://www.digitalleafblower.com/archives/000033.html

I can now use my GPS with every Mac GPSish app that I've found - including: GPS Connect, GPSUtility, Link2GPS, MacGPSBabel, Mac Simple GPS and Terrabrowser. My current favorite app is Mac Simple GPS. It's got all the features I need and a pretty decent interface. I also really like Terrabrowser-you need a pretty fast 'net connect to use it, but it's cool.

-HaazMatt

I don't understand what's being said here, but I'm planning on buying a GPSr (probably a eTrex Legend).

Let me get this straight, because I'm running OSX on a Powerbook G4, I'll have to buy a USB->Serial Port adaptor?

Then I'll need a third party MAC->GPS coordinate transfering software to move coords from my computer to the GPSr.

Finally, to use the mapping capabilities I'll have to buy PC only mapping software and VPC to download the maps onto my GPSr.

Is this correct?

If I'm gonna' have to pay $300 (exaggeration) for VPC, wouldn't it just be more economical to buy a non-mapping GPSr?

The only thing you can't do with the mac is put maps onto the legend. If you get a GPSr with more memory (the 76cs has 115mb), you'll only need to put maps on it once for your area, then again if you travel to another state (or a few states away depending on where you live). If you have a friend with a PC, buy City Select and install it on your friend's CD, then use it to install the maps. You won't need a PC for most of what you do for geocaching.

The only thing you can't do with the mac is put maps onto the legend. If you get a GPSr with more memory (the 76cs has 115mb), you'll only need to put maps on it once for your area, then again if you travel to another state (or a few states away depending on where you live). If you have a friend with a PC, buy City Select and install it on your friend's CD, then use it to install the maps. You won't need a PC for most of what you do for geocaching.

i suppose... it just feels so... un-independent.

Thanks Parsa & Robert!

I'll pick up the Keyspan, and your explanations help me understand the process. I did know that a PC is needed for the maps, but I'm glad to hear I will be able to end the "joysticking" of entering locations by "finger." I have the MacGPSBabel and look forward to giving it a try.

--Marc

December 23, 2004 @ 10:07pm

I'm getting there, but now I could use a little assist...

I'm using the Keyspan Serial/USB adaptor and it's properly connecting to my OS X Mac (in GPS Connect I see the "USA19h..." serial port listed.

I am able to download all of the Waypoints in my Garmin Legend to a file on the Mac.

From the Geocaching.com site I "checkmarked" 10 Waypoints and downloaded that to my mac. The file is named "geocaching.loc"

I cannot figure out how to upload that file with those 10 Waypoints to the Garmin.

In GPS Connect it says "Waypoint upload and download is supported" but I see no way to upload to the Garmin.

So I looked at MacGPS Babel. I checked the "Use GPS receiver for output" box, and I selected the "geocaching.loc" file with the big select button. No matter which option I try in the big Pull-Down menu, when I press the "Upload" button I get the same "AppleScript Error Message" with a large amount of file content text as the error description.

I am hoping that somebody can easily get me past this point to the final solution!

Thanks!

--Marc

January 21, 2005 @ 10:42 PM

N40°46.565' W073°58.756'

The .loc files are the coordinates only; the .gpx files you get with pocket queries are mucho superior in that they contain the waypoint names, geocache name, and icons. My Garmin 60CS has a closed box icon to represent unfound geocaches that automatically changes to an open box once I have found the cache. I upload via MacGPS Pro, which is well worth the $39 I spent, but I believe there may other (less capable) programs like MacGPSBabel that will pump gpx files from your Mac into your GPSr.

I am anxious to get out the door caching but have a few last minute questions...

1) I need the serial cable for Garmin 60cs as the bridge from the unit to the keyspan serial adapter cable....is this a specific Garmin cable?

2) I have loaded the maps and waypoints via my wife's PC but am anxious to move it to the mac platform...the geocache sites I have downloaded are the .loc files. I do not see an option to download a gpx file...what am I missing? I wasn't aware of the advantages of gpx over loc files...

can anyone point out a reference for me?

thank you all...

I am anxious to get out the door caching but have a few last minute questions...

1) I need the serial cable for Garmin 60cs as the bridge from the unit to the keyspan serial adapter cable....is this a specific Garmin cable?

2) I have loaded the maps and waypoints via my wife's PC but am anxious to move it to the mac platform...the geocache sites I have downloaded are the .loc files. I do not see an option to download a gpx file...what am I missing? I wasn't aware of the advantages of gpx over loc files...

can anyone point out a reference for me?

thank you all...

1) Garmin makes them. All the GPS online stores as well as places like Frys usually sell them. There's a cable for charging via a car 12V outlet, a cable for connecting to the PC, but I recommend the one that has both. It's usually called something like: Garmin PC Cable with Cigarette Lighter Adapter (60, 72, 76 Series)

Don't get the one for the eTrex type models. The right one has a big round plug with 4 holes in it.

2) You can't download GPX from the cache list page. That's only LOC. You have two choices to get GPX files. I think the features are members only features. You can download a GPX file on the page itself (one by one and very tedious), or you can do a Pocket Query. I use the PQ feature to download all the unfound caches within a certain radius and set it to GPX. I use MacGPSBabel to load it on my Garmin. I use MacCM Convert to load the GPX files into my PDA. The PDA has CacheMate for totally paperless caching.

From the Geocaching.com site I "checkmarked" 10 Waypoints and downloaded that to my mac. The file is named "geocaching.loc"

I cannot figure out how to upload that file with those 10 Waypoints to the Garmin.

In GPS Connect it says "Waypoint upload and download is supported" but I see no way to upload to the Garmin.

So I looked at MacGPS Babel. I checked the "Use GPS receiver for output" box, and I selected the "geocaching.loc" file with the big select button. No matter which option I try in the big Pull-Down menu, when I press the "Upload" button I get the same "AppleScript Error Message" with a large amount of file content text as the error description.

GPX files are a bit better, and GPSBabel mainly converts those.

Members of Goecaching.com can run powerful Pocket Queries that have many search options. These can be download as GPX files with full data from the web page for downloading both to a GPSr and a PDA.

In MacConnect I think the setting is not on the cache list window, but in the first small one that shows up simply called GPS Connect. Set the serial port there.

Then go to the cache list file and use the menu called GPS Action to Connect and exchange waypoints.

Parsa

]I'm using the Keyspan Serial/USB adaptor and it's properly connecting to my OS X Mac (in GPS Connect I see the "USA19h..." serial port listed.

I am able to download all of the Waypoints in my Garmin Legend to a file on the Mac.

GPS Connect doesn't know .LOC files.  Try MacSimpleGPS; that seems to work just fine for me with both .LOC and .GPX files.

I was informed of a MacGPSBabel upgrade which fixes the problem I was having. Now I am able to upload the .loc files that I download from the Geocaching.site.

A breath of fresh air after a lot of "joysticking" inputs of the caches I wanted to find!

It's good to own a Mac again, thanks to MacGPS Babel!

--Marc

January 24, 2005 @ 5:52 PM

N40°46.565' W073°58.756'