24-hour Record Attempt

Zatoichi

OK, cachers. Here is the opportunity someone has been waiting for... the opportunity to join with 'Team Rebellion' and smash the 24-Hour Caching World Record. Our team is in need of a fourth person replacement. If you are physically fit, highly motivated, got the geo-sense working, and available to go non-stop for 24 hours beginning Sunday the 24th in Jacksonville, then contact me ASAP. My e-mail is CHays911@aol.com

'Team Rebellion' consists of CaptDC52, Luke 11.9 & Zatoichi. Weknow we can beat the record of 240 caches set in Cacheville this summer. So if you want the bragging rights of a lifetime, consider joining us.

We have all major equipment in place... from laptop navigation to vehicle, office supplies, food deliveries, you name it. We just need someone who can concentrate on the searching.

I look forward to hearing from someone soon...........

Have fun and drink lots of coffee!!! Watch out for messing up records at 4am when you are sleepy too, it is easy to do (as we found out)! Then be prepared for people doubting you and answering questions if you beat it. I would be more than happy to see someone else deal with that now! :anibad:

Mostly just have a blast, it is a fun experience. :lol:

Let me add my best wishes for your record attempt. As co-holder of the current record with carleenp, nothing would please me more than to see another group break the record, and have as much fun as we did in the process. This isn't a competition so much as it is a personal challenge.

If there are any questions that I can help with, just ask. For now I will offer this piece of advice, learned from experience: Do NOT stop at Hooters for 2 hours when you are trying to set a record. :o

Everyone is being so supportive. 'Team Rebellion' appreciates all the advice.

Our cache list is down to 400 possible caches. We have no intention of finding that many, but due to road construction, DNF's and the like we need alternates. I tell you... I've been plotting the course manually- WHAT A CHORE!!!

Everything is in place now. We never did find a fourth person. Seems like everyone is committed that day. We received several offers for part time drivers. That was very nice. What we were looking for was a fourth, committed, full timer. Maybe next time.

Again, everyone thank you for your support!!!

For now I will offer this piece of advice, learned from experience: Do NOT stop at Hooters for 2 hours when you are trying to set a record. :anitongue:

Do locate and waypoint all of the 24 hr Krispy Kreme and White Castle drive thru's. :laughing:

Godd luck raising the bar for the crew making another attempt at GW3 next year. :D

My friends, we are down to the wire for planning. Our final meeting is tonight. The forecast for this Sunday is low in the lower 60's, high in the upper 80's, and a low chance of rain. We are a go!

Currently our 'potential' cache list stands at 395. We do not intend on getting that many, but we need to be able to deviate from our route and continue caching where ever we may go.

Keeping up with new caches, caches being archived and so forth is quite a chore when your target area is an entire city. What a nightmare. Why I'm doing this manually, I have no idea.

Thanks, everyone. for your continued support...

First and foremost, I want to thank all those people who encouraged Dan, Dave & I to attempt this crazy record. If our friends & families did not support us, our goal would never have been achieved. Thank you.

I am proud to announce that the 24-hour cache record has fallen. The new ante now stands at 246 caches. 'Team Rebellion', consisting of CaptDC52 (Dan), Luke 11.9 (Dave) and Zatoichi (Chris) went to Jacksonville early on Sunday, October 24th, 2004. 24 hours later... tired, dirty, wet, smelly, bleeding... the record had fallen. BTW... the three of us have known each other for over 12 years. We are all career firefighters with Marion County Fire-Rescue, Florida.

Interesting stats and facts:

TOTAL CACHES FOUND... 246

TOTAL DNF's... 56

TOTAL PASSES... 50

TOTAL DISTANCE TRAVELED... 224.5 miles

DISTANCE BETWEEN CACHES (ALL)... average .746 miles

AVERAGE FINDS PER HOUR... 10.25 caches

FIND PERCENTAGE ON SEARCH... 81.45%

AVERAGE TIME PER FIND... 1 cache every 5 minutes and 51 seconds

AVERAGE CACHE TIME ALL... 1 every 4 minutes and 46 seconds

TRAVEL BUGS FOUND... 9

MOST DNF's IN A ROW... 5

LONGEST BREAK... 18 minutes

We have had an enjoyable time with this project. Plans are underway by several cachers to break our record during Geowoodstock III next May in Jacksonville. Will we defend? Maybe. Keep in touch...

Congratulations! I am glad that I no longer have to "defend" this record. Now *you* get to look forward to reading messages from people who say you cheated, who say it was "impossible," who criticize your logs (better make 'em interesting!), who chide you for not paying attention to CITO ethics, and a bunch of other slings and arrows. None of this will diminish the fun that you had, and the truth that your team's name is in every one of those logbooks.

It is interesting that your group had known each other for such a long time. Carleen and I had just met in person for the first time three days prior to our run for the record. You know someone a whole lot better after dashing around to that many caches!

ENJOY YOUR SLEEP!

As the driver for the team who set the first 200+ record, I would like to offer my congratulations. I know how much hard work goes into a run like this and you guys are to be commended. My hat is off to you.

And I agree with Carleen and Lep, have fun logging, and good luck on the "defense" of you record here in the forums. Let me be the first to say I am sure you did it, because I know it can be done.

Edited by Monkeybrad
AVERAGE CACHE TIME ALL... 1 every 4 minutes and 46 seconds

We were talking about this at MonkeyBrad's Halloween party... To log 300 caches in 24 hours, you have to be able to do one cache every 5 minutes. Good to see it's possible.

Too bad you guys had so many DNFs.

Congratulations on your accomplishment! I think it's very cool that you cache with longtime friends. :D

I can't seem to interest any of my old friends in this great activity, and they wonder why they don't see me more often. :D

As one of the scheduled wheelmen for the GW3 24 hour run I'm glad to see you did this in JAX and raised the bar for our attempt. I look forward to meeting you there.

Thanks for the detailed stat breakdown too.

Now get some rest. :blink:

Congratulations from Germany - very well done!

As a visitor of GeoWoodstock II this year (and hitting 204 caches in 19 hours) I know how that experience feels. Rest, relax and do the 'dadgum' logging :lol:

What a blast - but be aware, Team Germany (Huskie and geoPirat) will try to challenge your record next year in Jacksonville around GeoWoodstock III . . .

Hope to meet you there,

Meet you in da woods !

Don't know bout EMC, but the guys I heard about in Nashville doing more than 200 were a team, Ace Flapperhacker, found 90 in 24 hours by himself, no driver, no helplines, just him and a GPS.

That would be true and correct.

Solo

No driver

No team

No lifelines

Nobody holding the door

Solo

Just me and 2 GPSr, 2 PB&J sandwiches, 2 bologna sandwiches, 1 qt of coffee, 4 Diet Pepsi, some Snickers bars and a few male Hersey Bars.(with nuts)

21.25 hours from start to finish. Midnight to 9:18 PM. 170 miles driven. I earlier said 40 gals of gas but it was more like 28 for the actual asssault. 1 hour lost to road construction/closures and a "closed for a fishing derby" park with three I couldn't get to followed by another hour when my F-250 4x4 got terminally stuck in the mud. (and then I still didn't find that particular cache). About 30 DNF's and another 25 "Did Not Try"

Generally speaking, in retrospect, it was a lot of fun. Many of my friends have questioned my sanity for doing it in the first place but on the other hand I kind of like "Psycho" as a nick name and besides so many friends have made great suggestions for the future. Like "Get a life".

Now, on to the next challenge.

I am proud to announce that the 24-hour cache record has fallen. The new ante now stands at 246 caches. 'Team Rebellion', consisting of CaptDC52 (Dan), Luke 11.9 (Dave) and Zatoichi (Chris) went to Jacksonville early on Sunday, October 24th, 2004. 24 hours later... tired, dirty, wet, smelly, bleeding... the record had fallen.

246 caches is very impressive.

But did your hole group stay together the hole time?

Or did you split up? If you stayed together as a group, you would have had to average finding a cache once every 5.8 minutes.

I am proud to announce that the 24-hour cache record has fallen. The new ante now stands at 246 caches. 'Team Rebellion', consisting of CaptDC52 (Dan), Luke 11.9 (Dave) and Zatoichi (Chris) went to Jacksonville early on Sunday, October 24th, 2004. 24 hours later... tired, dirty, wet, smelly, bleeding... the record had fallen.

246 caches is very impressive.

But did your hole group stay together the hole time?

Or did you split up? If you stayed together as a group, you would have had to average finding a cache once every 5.8 minutes.