"gear Head" Challenge

I am planning some weekend geocache excursions that will require me to sleep overnight in a tent. I've been researching them online and would like some advice from geocachers that are happy with what they've used. This is my first experience backpacking and buying a quality tent. There is sure a lot out there!

The challenge is that I want certain features. After much (online only) research I have compiled my wish list.

1) 5 lbs. max trail weight

2) 3 season

3) 2 entries/doors

4) 1 "decent sized" vestibule (minimum), 2 would be even better.

5) tub floor

6) waterproof tent with sealed/taped seams

7) aluminum pole(s)

8) 2 person (The second person is currently a 9 year old boy but he's growing fast! )

9) good ventilation, no condensation

10) view of the stars with quality mesh

11) quality zippers (YKK??)

12) under $200, better yet...under $150!!!

Additional bonuses:

1) ligher color or more natural color tent

2) rain fly has a window

3) freestanding

**The tent will be used mainly for one to two night excursions. It needs to be able to be carried by one adult in a backpack. (The second person is a younger kid.)

I am currently considering the following tents:

-REI half dome

-Sierra Meteor Light -(It's a bit heavy...)

-Eureka Apex 2XTA-My local gear shop doesn't speak to highly of Eureka....

Any opinions out there? I was also wondering when the best time to get tents on sale is...seems like I am seeing them on sale now but is it better to wait a bit longer, say Nov/Dec.??

Edited by team walkingsticks

I've had one Eureka and two REI tents in the last 25 + years. Currently, I have the REI half dome. I have no qualms about recommending it to you. It is a little small but if you don't have to pull any all rain storms inside it will do fine. Extended tent time and it will get a little tight. I once spent about 30 hours in a REI 3 season 3 person dome with a friend; only went out in the rain and drizzle to get water and pee. We are both still alive although there were moments.

U sed to go backpacking alot, I had a Coleman & Eureka(models I have no clue). What I would suggest is getting in touch with your local Boy Scout / Girl Scout groups. I used to backpack with both and they had their favorites and usually were on the lighter side and green or tan and used al poles. (Might be able to point you to the discounts too)

Hope this helps :D

Yeah,

The Nut is right. I also posted this in the backpacker.com forum. I have found most tents with these features are coming in at around 5-7 lbs. Their have been a few exceptions but they are usually over the $200 mark.

The REI half dome is close at 5 lbs. 9 oz. packed weight. It is currently going for about $159.

I have learned the REI Quarter Dome is at $229 but packs at 4lbs. 4oz.s. But, it has a very small floor area...only 28 square feet is tight for two people.

The REI Clipper is at 5lbs. 13 oz.s and is on sale right now for only $119 at REI. Again, floor area is tight at 30.5 sq. ft.

The Sierra Meteor Light has the most floor space at 40 sq. ft. but is at $249. It is also heavier at 7lbs. 6oz. packed.

The Eureka Apex 2XTA is over 6lbs. packed as well.

All the above tents have almost all the other features I am looking for. I guess it comes down to do I want to carry a bit more weight to have more space and am I willing to pay more than $200....

Thanks for the responses so far. I do not see a clear winner yet so keep your opinions coming. It really does help!

LL Bean Microlite Tent.

I think it has most of what you want you want:

weight - 4lb, 6 oz.

2 person

3 season

Alumuinum poles

4 3/4 sq. ft. vestibule

tub floor

mesh tent body with view of the sky

well ventilated

$129

natural color

It doesn't mention whether it has taped seams, but the all LL Bean tents I've owned do have taped seams and quality zippers.

Things its missing that you are looking for:

its not freestandig

doesn't have two doors

no window in the rainfly

And you get LL Bean's 100 percent satisfaction guaratee. If you don't like it, even 2 years later, you can return it. I own two Bean tents (the #2 dome). Actually a friend has one now. The older one (that I gave to my friend) is nearly 20 years old and still going strong. The newer one is about 8-9 years old and performs superbly. And they were very inexpensive. I'd recommmend the #2 dome for you, but at 8 lbs it is a bit on the heavy side.

The Microlite Tent

M36548_Sea_Grass.jpg

For $175 you can get Bean's Light Stuff tent. It has a bigger vestibule (12.5 sq. ft.) a window in the rainfly and its free standing. Still only has one door though.

The Light Stuff Tent

M36544_Sky_Blue.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I don't know if you can still get one, but I have had great sucess w/ the Kelty Vortex 2 or V-2, test. It has never let me down. Here are some specs:

The Vortex 2 is a no-mess set up with excellent wind performance, and Vaulted Pole Pilot sleeves for better ventilation between tent and fly. When it's all done, enjoy night gazing through the two large Eclipse windows. Wake up to photocromatic windows as they turn blue in the morning sun.

9 mm aluminum poles with low temperature shockcord

Two large vestibules and doors

ArchEdge floor (lifts seams off the ground for dryness)

Large no-see-um mesh panels to secure essentials

Fly vent

1.9 oz. nylon taffeta walls

2.3 oz. 1800 mm PU coated nylon taffeta floor

2.3 oz. taped 1800 mm PU coated polyester flys

37.1 sq. ft. interior

24.3 sq. ft. vestibule

5 lb. 8 oz.

otdrCampingTentsVortex_2-resized200.jpg

I'd consider looking a little away from the 'main stream'. These don't fit all of your requirements, but they are both excellent options by well respected manufacturers in the backpacking community:

Henry Shires Tarptents (cloudburst): www.tarptent.com

Golite Hex 3: www.golite.com The Hex 3 is a tarp, but paired with the bathtub floor it is lighter and more spacious and more comfortable than *any* tent I have ever used. I've used a Golite Hex for 4 years now, and it's my shelter of choice 95% of the time, year round (snow camping, summer camping, car camping, backpacking, etc).

Also, you may want to use www.backpackgeartest.org as a resource for reviews on tents you may be considering.

I don't know if you can still get one, but I have had great sucess w/ the Kelty Vortex 2 or V-2, test. It has never let me down. Here are some specs:

The Vortex 2 is a no-mess set up with excellent wind performance, and Vaulted Pole Pilot sleeves for better ventilation between tent and fly. When it's all done, enjoy night gazing through the two large Eclipse windows. Wake up to photocromatic windows as they turn blue in the morning sun.

There's a twin to this one, but my memory isn't working good tonight so I can't tell you what it is.

However in both tents the netting is dark colored making it much easier to see out than the traditional white or light gray netting. I was amazed at the difference. I would add dark colored netting to my critria list.

JMHO

Byron

The jury is still out but the results so far are as follows:

The top three choices are:

REI Half Dome 4 votes

Eureka 2XTA 3 votes

Kelty Vortex 2 (V2) 3 votes

The following all have one vote so far:

Sierra Designs Meteor Light

Sierra Designs Comet

MSR Zoid 1.5

MSR Zoid 2

LL Bean Light Stuff

LL Bean Microlite

Golite Hex 3

Henry Shires Tarptents (Cloudburst)

Coleman Exponent 1

Black Diamond Megamid

Mountain Hardware PCT2

These results are based on the forums posts above combined with the posts on the backpacker.com forum

All the above opinions are really appreciated. I have been checking out all the tents that are recommended above.

If anyone else could chime in, please do.

I'm pretty loyal to the Kelty Brand(I have 3 of them), because their tents have never let me down. So, as far as your choices, I'd have to vote for the Vortex 2. I have a Kelty Snowfall 4, which I think they later named the Vortex 4. It has peformed very very well for me for at least 6 years and it's still going strong. For family camping I have the Kelty Trail Dome 6, which has peformed the same. For light weight and a decent vestibule, I'd recommend that you take a look a the Kelty Crestone 2. I use this tent when I'm traveling alone and again...it has never let me down.

Edited by EGMUNI

OK. It's official. I am obsessed. I think I must have inherited this quality from my dad...my wife thinks I am crazy sitting up at night staring at these statistics....

This was a wide spread sheet but I couldn't get it to fit here so I just stacked all the stat.s up. Hope this interests someone else!

I did this a few days ago based on some of the tents I was interested in. I now have some new tents to explore. Thanks for the comments.

Tent Name

REI Clipper

Eureka 2XTA

REI Half Dome 2

REI Quater Dome

Sierra D. Meteor Light

Sierra Designs Lightning

Trail Weight

5 lbs 2 oz

6 lbs 0 oz

5lbs 2 oz

3 lbs 11oz

6lbs 12 oz

3 lbs 15 oz

Packed Weight

5 lbs 13 oz

6 lbs 10 oz

5lbs 9oz

4lbs 4 oz

7lbs 6 oz

4 lbs 9 oz

Floor Space

30.5 sq ft

36.5 sq ft

34.5 sq ft

28 sq ft

40 sq ft

32 sq ft

Floor dim.

7ft 4in x 4ft 9in

7ft 5in x 4ft 11in

7ft 8in x 4ft 6in

7ft 1in x 4 ft 4 in

8ft 2in x 5ft

7ft .5in x 4 ft 5in

Vestibule

6.5 sq ft

6.7 + 6.7 sq ft

9.6 + 9.6 sq ft

7 + 7 sq ft

14 sq ft

6 sq ft

Doors

Interior Peak

43 in

43 in

42 in

40 in

43 in

43 in

Packed Size

7 x 20 in

6.5 x 15 in

7 x 23 in

7 x 20 in

6.5 x 24 in

5 x 21 in

No. of poles

Pole Type

alum DAC featherlite

7000 series alum

alum DAC featherlite

alum DAC featherlite

easton 7075 T9 alum.

easton graflite carbon

Price

$119

$124

$159

$229

$229

$249

Proper preparedness is prudent, but paralysis by analysis can be prohibitive. ;)

GET IN THE WOODS and camp :unsure: I think our dad’s knew each other. ;)

I have had tents from Bean, Kelty, REI, and others. Most of the brands you are researching should serve you well. As mentioned above, the Bean tents, and all their stuff, come with a GREAT satisfaction guaranty and I THINK REI has the same satisfaction guaranty.

Hey COONEY, nice pic of Jerry.

Minor point here... A brightly colored tent is much better from a survival / search and rescue perspective. If you ever get stuck out there, you want people to be able to find you. Go for the bright red instead of the leafy green color.

Dont this stuff drive ya nutz. Trying to get everything ya want in 'One' Tent and in the price range????

I guess it comes down to preferences. I have always preferred a Eureka Timberline A frame. The one I used most was with just the front door. I now have a two person.. A frame with doors at either end. With rainfly and vestibule it works quite well. Freestanding... except a couple pegs needed for the vestibule.. which you can put them on both ends.

Let us know what you finally decide on.

I've been looking more closely at the REI half dome. Is REI an exclusive type of thing? I can't seem to find their tents at Campor or any place else.

I have also heard REI has 20% off coupons occasionally. How/where can you get those?

And, what does "REI" stand for anyway?!

Also, thanks for the info. on the 2003 Meteor Light. I had seen that price and was wondering if the tent was the same, or at least, nearly the same.

I've been looking more closely at the REI half dome. Is REI an exclusive type of thing? I can't seem to find their tents at Campor or any place else.

I have also heard REI has 20% off coupons occasionally. How/where can you get those?

Also, thanks for the info. on the 2003 Meteor Light. I had seen that price and was wondering if the tent was the same, or at least, nearly the same.

REI is a proprietary brand sold only at REI stores and on their website. Stands for Recreational Equipment Inc.

Edited by briansnat

REI is a proprietary brand sold only at REI stores and on their website. Stands for Recreational Equipment Inc.

The 20% discount coupon is sent to co-op members of REI. There is a small onetime membership fee to join, and then you enjoy receiving annual checks good for purchasing at REI and the amount is based on your personal purchases through the year. At the same time the annual check is sent, a 20% coupon is included to further your savings on your next purchase.

Edited by TotemLake
The ultimate tent:

Kohte.jpg

That, my friend, is a beautiful thing....

It makes me want to skip right over the three season tents and go for a four season! By the time I actually lay down the green for a tent, there will be snow on the ground anyway :blink:

Is that a homemade job or what?

It does appear to be missing my "no-see-um" mesh for star gazing!!!!

Great picture though. It says....peace.......to me.

TotemLake,

I posted the same time as you did and just now saw your post. Thanks for the info. on REI. That's good to know.

I have used a Sierra Designs Meteor Light for many years and would highly recommend it. I particularly like the near-vertical sidewalls making the interior space more useful. Mine actually developed a leak after several years of use (about 7 or 8) and Sierra Designs gave me a new tent free of charge! I do not find the weight of this tent difficult to manage at all.

Minor point here... A brightly colored tent is much better from a survival / search and rescue perspective. If you ever get stuck out there, you want people to be able to find you. Go for the bright red instead of the leafy green color.

Unless you want your campsite to stay hidden from evildoers :o .

I have used a Sierra Designs Meteor Light for many years and would highly recommend it....

I do not find the weight of this tent difficult to manage at all.

I've have seen in "the literature" a few times the idea of the tent weighing no more than 3 lbs. per person. I will be hauling the tent by myself. In regard to the meteor light (which overall I do like) it weighs in at over 7 lbs. That's more than double what I have been reading is recommended.

Does anyone have a feeling for a maximum weight load for a tent? I will be doing only one or two night adventures. But, I am also a nearly "over the hill" guy who's fairly out of shape at this point. I'm kind of a work horse though and I would describe myself as having a stocky, yet sturdy build.

I know I'll need to carry a stove, food, sleeping bag (I've got the Mountain Hardware lightweight 20 degree bag), and other clothing and incidentals so this is how I arrived at the 5 lb. max. tent weight figure. The 3 lb. tents are not quite enough for me, and getting above 5 seems like it might just be too heavy.

The 3 lb. tents are not quite enough for me, and getting above 5 seems like it might just be too heavy.

Different people have very different priorities. On long climbing expeditions, I have carried 90+ pound packs without thinking too much about it. I've also done short hikes with < 60 pounds and wondered why I was carying so much when it would be so much more fun not to cary so much gear.

If you like a comfortable and stormproof tent, they weigh pounds and the comfort of the tend may be worth the discomfort on the trail (they are a life saver in real serious storms). If you are on your own, I would recomend considering a bivi-sack. Even a fancy bivi-sack is much lighter than a tent. And, if you are only sleeping in it, who needs to cary the extra headroom.

Every pound does make a difference, but then +/- 2 pounds is < 5% of 60 pounds.

Peronally, I recomend using a tarp and groundcloth instead of a tent, even in the winter, unless the bugs are really bad or you are camping in highly exposed areas with high wind. Looking out from under a tarp is a lot prettier than looking through a tent door. Tarps weigh lots less. Tarps can have lots more headroom. And, if you pitch tarps instead of tents, other people think you must be tough when really you are just an inteligent weeny that knows how well tarps work and how little they weigh (and cost).

I have used a Sierra Designs Meteor Light for many years and would highly recommend it....

I do not find the weight of this tent difficult to manage at all.

I've have seen in "the literature" a few times the idea of the tent weighing no more than 3 lbs. per person. I will be hauling the tent by myself. In regard to the meteor light (which overall I do like) it weighs in at over 7 lbs. That's more than double what I have been reading is recommended.

Does anyone have a feeling for a maximum weight load for a tent? I will be doing only one or two night adventures. But, I am also a nearly "over the hill" guy who's fairly out of shape at this point. I'm kind of a work horse though and I would describe myself as having a stocky, yet sturdy build.

I know I'll need to carry a stove, food, sleeping bag (I've got the Mountain Hardware lightweight 20 degree bag), and other clothing and incidentals so this is how I arrived at the 5 lb. max. tent weight figure. The 3 lb. tents are not quite enough for me, and getting above 5 seems like it might just be too heavy.

The tent I use most often is an LL Bean #2 dome, which is 8 lbs. I'd say 8 lbs is the high end of the spectrum for a backpacking tent. Because I usually go with others, the weight is split. One person takes the poles, another the tent and if we have a 3rd, he takes the fly. Because it can fit 3 people this is a pretty good weight ratio.

If I'm going alone, or with people I'd rather not sleep with (some of my backpacking friends are notorious for their flatulence and snoring) I use a Slumberjack solo bivy shelter which weighs less than 2 lbs. Unlike The Puzzler, I really don't like the tarp/groundcloth route. First there is no place I've camped where bugs were not a problem....not to mention animals (I dislike waking up in the middle of the night because something ran accross my face). Second, you have to search a lot longer for a suitable place to set up a tarp, or carry poles. If you bring poles, you're carrying almost as much weight as a lightweight tent (though trekking poles can do double duty).

Since you're carrying the whole tent, you'll probably want to stay under 5 lbs. If you go above that you'll want to cut corners elsewhere, or deal with a very heavy pack.

One place you might be able to cut corners is your sleeping bag. Unless you are going in late fall, or early spring, or in the Rocky Mountians you probably don't need a 20 degree bag. There are some summer weight bags on the market that are around 2 lbs and pack to the size of a loaf of bread. If you are doing most of your packing in warm climes, or warmer months, this might be a good choice. On one particluarly warm summer weekend I just packed a flannel sheet.

Another weight cutting device is a water filter. Bring a filter and you'll only have to carry enough water for the day on the trail (provided you camp near a water source).

Edited by briansnat

After 5 dates and collecting data on two forums, the results are as follows:

REI Half Dome 8 votes

Eureka 2XTA 4 votes

Kelty Vortex 2 (V2) 4 votes

Sierra Designs Meteor Light 2 votes

MSR Zoid 2 2 votes

Mountain Hardware PCT2 2 votes

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 2 votes

Sierra Designs Comet

Sierra Lightning

MSR Zoid 1.5

LL Bean Light Stuff

LL Bean Microlite

LL Bean #2 Dome

Golite Hex 3

Coleman Exponent 1

Black Diamond Megamid

REI Quarter Dome

Eureka Timberline A Frame

Eureka Aspen 2 (Galyans)

Kelty Crestone 2

Slumberjack Solo Bivy

The Poncho (Alpha) tent

Also suggested: A tarp & groundcloth or a bivy (no brand named)

All your suggestions and ideas are really helpful. Thank you! I just joined on to REI's email and they sent me a coupon for 10% off my first order. I am leaning this way now, but am still going to look a bit at some of the other tents suggested in the past few days. Feel free to continue to post your comments. I'll keep checking back.

Let me be the 9th person to vote for the REI Half Dome. I work for REI, and if someone like you came in to my store with all the research that you have done and with the precise "want list" you have made for the tent you want, I wouldn't have to "sell" you on the Half Dome at all. But this is why I would really suggest buying any tent (Half Dome or not) at REI--simply because of their no-hassle return policy. It's our mission to find you what you're looking for, but if you need to return a product to REI that you bought at REI, especially if it's on your membership, you will have ZERO problems. See if you find that return policy ANYWHERE else! Buying at REI has zero risk! You can have even used the tent, quite extensively too, and then find out it doesn't work for you and return it. If you have a membership, you won't even need a receipt! I hope you do find what you're looking for, and I hope I've helped a little. Good luck! -TroutGuy78

Hey TroutGuy78,

Fellow geocaher, old buddy, old pal....so you work for REI huh? :D

I've heard they have special 20% off coupons every so often...Do you have any idea how I could get my hands on one? Here is the reason.

I went to purchase the tent last night but I stopped short when I discovered I was going to have to pay tax (REI has a store in Michigan....but it is hours from where I live, therefore by law tax must be paid!) and REI also charges shipping!

I have been using Campor alot to check out tent prices. They have FREE shipping with any order over $100. I assumed REI would have a similar set up but they don't!

The tent is not on sale either. It's going for $159. With the footprint $25, tax and shipping I am close to $200.

I was hoping by joining the Co-Op (which I did) I might get an instant coupon in my email for 20% off or something. That didn't happen.

The gurantee is awesome though and I am still sold on the tent. If I can't get a discount coupon of some sort I may wait it out until it goes on sale. Do they put this tent onsale?

If you're willing to "think outside the tent" a bit, check HERE.

It's definitely not for two people, but still worth a look.

A friend of mine (and fellow cacher) has one of these and loves it. I've tried it out a couple of times and am amazed at how comfortable it is. It weighs about 2 pounds (if even that) and takes all of 2 minutes to set up.

Check the page out...there are also some interesting regulations (or lack there-of) for hammock campers.

Bret

Edited by CYBret
If you're willing to "think outside the tent" a bit, check HERE.

It's definitely not for two people, but still worth a look.

A friend of mine (and fellow cacher) has one of these and loves it. I've tried it out a couple of times and am amazed at how comfortable it is. It weighs about 2 pounds (if even that) and takes all of 2 minutes to set up.

Check the page out...there are also some interesting regulations (or lack there-of) for hammock campers.

Bret

I can't help but think how that would make me feel like a pig in a blanket for some wandering bear. :D:D:D

You should look at North Face and Marmot. I own two North Face models, the Peregrine (they no longer make) and the Foundation 44. I will never buy any other tent. They are priciey but IMO they are the best. I've had my Peregrine for over five years and use it all the time even on winter camp outs. Since I purchased the North Face, two of my friends have also bought NF and they have fallen in love with their tents. In fact, if the NF tent could cook, they would marry them.

The best way to avoid condensation INSIDE the tent is to make sure you properly install the fly and stake out the guy wires. Make sure there is the appropriate amount of air space between your tent and the fly. No tent is totally condensation proof inside. A lot depends on the environment and what goes on inside your tent. :D

A good friend of mine also uses a Marmot (not sure the model) and it is very awesome as well. It may actually be under 5 lbs.

Not sure if you are going to camp in the snow... but if you are then you want a four season tent. 4 season tents are designed to be 'load bearing' and will not collapse during snow conditions.

With the North Face, you can purchase lofts that install inside the tent so you can store things up in the top area. also, they sell ground covers that are the exact footprint of your tent. These fasten to the grommets were the poles are anchored. The ground covers are nice because they are the same footprint as the tent so they will not catch water when it rains. I've been in rain storms with my Foundation 44 where I could feel the water running under my tent (and ground cover) but the floor of the tent was dry as a bone.

The top three tents are North Face, Marmot and Kelty. They also cost the most ...

REI Half Dome 8 votes

Eureka 2XTA 4 votes

Kelty Vortex 2 (V2) 4 votes

Sierra Designs Meteor Light 2 votes

MSR Zoid 2 2 votes

Mountain Hardware PCT2 2 votes

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 2 votes

Sierra Designs Comet

Sierra Lightning

MSR Zoid 1.5

LL Bean Light Stuff

LL Bean Microlite

LL Bean #2 Dome

Golite Hex 3

Coleman Exponent 1

Black Diamond Megamid

REI Quarter Dome

Eureka Aspen 2 (Galyans)

Kelty Crestone 2

Slumberjack Solo Bivy

The Poncho (Alpha) tent

All your suggestions and ideas are really helpful. Thank you! I just joined on to REI's email and they sent me a coupon for 10% off my first order. I am leaning this way now, but am still going to look a bit at some of the other tents suggested in the past few days. Feel free to continue to post your comments. I'll keep checking back.

Im still rooting for the megamid

REI Half Dome                  8 votes

Eureka 2XTA                  4 votes

Kelty Vortex 2 (V2)  4 votes

Sierra Designs Meteor Light  2 votes

MSR Zoid 2  2 votes

Mountain Hardware PCT2  2 votes

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2            2 votes

Sierra Designs Comet

Sierra Lightning

MSR Zoid 1.5

LL Bean Light Stuff

LL Bean Microlite

LL Bean #2 Dome

Golite Hex 3

Coleman Exponent 1

Black Diamond Megamid

REI Quarter Dome

Eureka Aspen 2 (Galyans)

Kelty Crestone 2

Slumberjack Solo Bivy

The Poncho (Alpha) tent

Megamid +'s

1) no floor (saves weight and I hate sleeping in a bathtub) !

2)10 feet by 10 feet (huge)

3)can be suspended to avoid using the pole

4)EASY to set up (with or without pole)

:anitongue:

Eureka Apex 2XTA-My local gear shop doesn't speak to highly of Eureka

So your local gear shop does not speak highly of Eureka. In that case I would not put much value in thier opion. I spent 33 years in the outdoor industry and have sold just about every tent brand but REI, Thier is nothing wrong with Eureka products, also most every tent manufacture offers a lifetime warranty on their products. REI does offer a good product, Some of their tents may be made for them my any number of tent manufactures (This is called private lable merchandise) FOr what you want at around 5 pounds at 150 - 200 dollars, you better start looking for close outs. Also get in the tent with the person you will be camping with so that you know there is enough room.

BTW Eureke tents where the first on Everest, Eureka still has the and they sometimes have put them on display.

A few things to add to the discussion...

DO NOT get a 4-season tent if you do not plan to camp in the winter with a snow threat. Most of the designs are quite warm in the mid summer, especially if you have to keep things zipped up due to heavy rain. Been there and sweated.

I do not pay a lot for tents now. There is a camping store in Boston called Hilton Tent City (on Friend St. across from the Fleet Center) that always has last year's models available for cheap money. For example, my current tent is a Eureka Sunrise 8'x8' 4 man that is small enough to pack on the bike trailer, but large enoguh to camp with the family even if we are tentbound. I paid $80 for it.

Do not get too fixated on the weight. In fact, tent weight isn't the real issue. Most people pack along far too many 'extras' that they don't need. I'd rather carry an extra pound of tent to get more comfort than a few extra pots or clothes that I 'might' need. When backpacking or bike camping, I become the king of the one pot dinners. I have a titanium 1 quart pot that everything I need to prepare a meal (except stove) fit inside. If it doesn't fit, I don't need it.

Food can be packed light. See if you can repackage it smaller and lighter than it comes. One of my favorites is a Mac and Cheese with smoked venison and freeze dried broccoli in it. And I don't use the powder mixes like Kraft, I brig a small chunk of something (usually a smoked gouda) and make it real. Forget milk and just pack butter. Sure it is a super rich sauce, but you'll work it off.

If the area you are going to has water sources, save water weight and use a filter. If there is ZERO chance of rain, you can even leave the tent fly home (have done that on a few trips - not been caught yet)

If the weather is warm, forget sleeping bags. Thin sheets and a fleece blanket can be lighter and more practical. (although bulky)

in your tent, make a 'no shoes' policy. The fastest way to kill a tent floor is to get grit and mud ground into it. Shoes stay outside uder the vestibule. Even in the tents I've had without a vestibule, I just stuck a trask bag outside the tent for shoes.

Use a ground cloth. Don't go buying one of those think ones the tent companies sell, go to Home depot's paint department and pick up the clear 1mil plastic sheet. Cut out something that will fit under your tent. If it survives the trip, great. If not, it's cheap to replace. Make sure that the ground cloth is slightly smaller than the tent so that runoff doesn't get channeled uver the tent floor. I usually make my ground sheet slightly larger than the tent and then roll over the edges and tuck them under to make a slight 'dam' effect.

Anything that touches the tent wall will pull in moisture. try har dto keep stuff away from the walls. Here is where a slightly larger tent is nice to have.

Thin sleeping mats are just as comfy as thick ones if you take the time to carefully select and clear a level spot for the tent. Great way to save pack weight.

On cold nights, sandwiching a 'space blanket' between the tent and fly will contain a significant amount of heat. A candle lantern hung from the ceiling can provide amazing amount of light and heat. (make sure to use a securely latched method of hanging and that you have a place to hang it so it doesn't touch any tent fabric. I have a 4" chain and small carabiner to attach mine to the lantern loop in my tent.) On damp nights, I've found this solution can keep the tent mostly dry.

Pack snack food, but try not to eat in the tent. Food odors in a tent are impossible to remove and will attract wildlife. Honestly, Bears have never been an issue, but having a skunk wandering the campsite isn't much more pleasant. All my food stuff from cookware to trash are all placed in plastic bags and stored away from the tent. Also, I pack the bags and seal them before placing in the pack, so there are as few odors on the pack as possible. It's nice to be able to keep the pack close.

Factory taped seams are good, but NOTHING beats a careful run with seam sealer. I have manually sealed every tent I own. Yea, the dried sealer makes dark flys look bad, and smells and is a pain to apply, but if you want to ensure no leaks, you gotta do it.

Now, before you buy a tent, go look at them. I know REI, EMS, and Hilton's will allow me to set up a tent in the store to see if I like the mechanics and size. Take your time and see if you could live in it. Does the door encourage rain to come in, can you easily move in and out without too much trouble? (if it's muddy out and you have to crawl out on your hands and knees, you are going to be miserable.)

Again, get a tent that you can be comfortable in, not just the lightest one there is. It really does make a difference.

A few things to add to the discussion...

DO NOT get a 4-season tent if you do not plan to camp in the winter with a snow threat.  Most of the designs are quite warm in the mid summer, especially if you have to keep things zipped up due to heavy rain.  Been there and sweated.

I do not pay a lot for tents now.  There is a camping store in Boston called Hilton Tent City (on Friend St. across from the Fleet Center) that always has last year's models available for cheap money.  For example, my current tent is a Eureka Sunrise 8'x8' 4 man that is small enough to pack on the bike trailer, but large enoguh to camp with the family even if we are tentbound.  I paid $80 for it.

Do not get too fixated on the weight.  In fact, tent weight isn't the real issue.  Most people pack along far too many 'extras' that they don't need.  I'd rather carry an extra pound of tent to get more comfort than a few extra pots or clothes that I 'might' need.  When backpacking or bike camping, I become the king of the one pot dinners.  I have a titanium 1 quart pot that everything I need to prepare a meal (except stove) fit inside.  If it doesn't fit, I don't need it.

Food can be packed light.  See if you can repackage it smaller and lighter than it comes.  One of my favorites is a Mac and Cheese with smoked venison and freeze dried broccoli in it.  And I don't use the powder mixes like Kraft, I brig a small chunk of something (usually a smoked gouda) and make it real.  Forget milk and just pack butter.  Sure it is a super rich sauce, but you'll work it off.

If the area you are going to has water sources, save water weight and use a filter.  If there is ZERO chance of rain, you can even leave the tent fly home (have done that on a few trips - not been caught yet) 

If the weather is warm, forget sleeping bags.  Thin sheets and a fleece blanket can be lighter and more practical. (although bulky)

in your tent, make a 'no shoes' policy.  The fastest way to kill a tent floor is to get grit and mud ground into it.  Shoes stay outside uder the vestibule.  Even in the tents I've had without a vestibule, I just stuck a trask bag outside the tent for shoes.

Use a ground cloth.  Don't go buying one of those think ones the tent companies sell, go to Home depot's paint department and pick up the clear 1mil plastic sheet.  Cut out something that will fit under your tent.  If it survives the trip, great.  If not, it's cheap to replace.  Make sure that the ground cloth is slightly smaller than the tent so that runoff doesn't get channeled uver the tent floor.  I usually make my ground sheet slightly larger than the tent and then roll over the edges and tuck them under to make a slight 'dam' effect.

Anything that touches the tent wall will pull in moisture.  try har dto keep stuff away from the walls.  Here is where a slightly larger tent is nice to have.

Thin sleeping mats are just as comfy as thick ones if you take the time to carefully select and clear a level spot for the tent.  Great way to save pack weight.

On cold nights, sandwiching a 'space blanket' between the tent and fly will contain a significant amount of heat.  A candle lantern hung from the ceiling can provide amazing amount of light and heat. (make sure to use a securely latched method of hanging and that you have a place to hang it so it doesn't touch any tent fabric.  I have a 4" chain and small carabiner to attach mine to the lantern loop in my tent.)  On damp nights, I've found this solution can keep the tent mostly dry.

Pack snack food, but try not to eat in the tent.  Food odors in a tent are impossible to remove and will attract wildlife.  Honestly, Bears have never been an issue, but having a skunk wandering the campsite isn't much more pleasant.  All my food stuff from cookware to trash are all placed in plastic bags and stored away from the tent.  Also, I pack the bags and seal them before placing in the pack, so there are as few odors on the pack as possible.  It's nice to be able to keep the pack close.

Factory taped seams are good, but NOTHING beats a careful run with seam sealer.  I have manually sealed every tent I own.  Yea, the dried sealer makes dark flys look bad, and smells and is a pain to apply, but if you want to ensure no leaks, you gotta do it.

Now, before you buy a tent, go look at them.  I know REI, EMS, and Hilton's will allow me to set up a tent in the store to see if I like the mechanics and size.  Take your time and see if you could live in it.  Does the door encourage rain to come in, can you easily move in and out without too much trouble?  (if it's muddy out and you have to crawl out on your hands and knees, you are going to be miserable.)

Again, get a tent that you can be comfortable in, not just the lightest one there is.  It really does make a difference.

Wow!

What a load of great advice. Thanks to Dukie and Dad, as well as eveyone else for taking the time to share all of this stuff! It is supposed to be a decent weekend and I ordered the REI half-dome (which is due to arrive Friday!) so I hope to get out and use it.

I ended up choosing the REI for a number of reasons:

It was the most recommend tent from the two forums.

It also was the 2002 Backpackers Magazine's top choice.

It offered a good number of the features I was looking for at a decent weight.

I have read a lot of good things about REI's guarentee, even people who after several years sent things back were treated well.

I stayed within my budget and also joined the REI co-op which will give me about 8%-10% back of all my purchases at the end of the year.

And, most importantly, a fellow geocacher I met on this thread (who also works for REI) helped me out! That was a bonus and kind of like fate. I trust my fellow cachers.

If you must use a groundsheet or footprint under your tent, I'd look into buying some TYVEK by the yard (2 yds/60" wide should do it = $7).

Go to www.hikelight.com for a lot of info on the lightest stuff and links to it all.

I would have put that website in as a hyperlink, but do not know how to do that on this forum. Have been unable to do a drag and drop.

Having read all the posts under this topic, I'd like to try the L.L.Bean tents. They sure are small packed and light. And the price is right. Presently use a REI half dome. A good tent, easy set up, plenty of room for two. Got it at there back room sale one year for $50. Was returned by someone who said the fly didn't fit, but it does. So basically a brand new tent for $50.