Transferring Routes

After creating the route

1. Double click on first waypoint

2. Copy the lat / log (position)

3. Past into Word document

4. Repeat for each subsequent waypoint

5. Your waypoints will look similar to “N38 50.369 W77 05.29"

6. Click on “Edit” then “Replace”

7. For this example in “Find what” enter “ W” (space W)

8. In “Replace with enter “, W” (comma space W)

9. Click “Replace All”

10. All coordinates will now look similar to “N38 50.369, W77 05.29"

11. Copy all coordinates

12. Open GSAK

13. Click on “Search” then “Filter”

14. Select the types of caches, difficulty, terrain, etc as you normally would

15. Click on “Arc, Line, or Polygon”

16. Insure Filter type is Arc/Line

17. Enter a Distant from the line you are willing to travel for each cache

18. Click in large white box

19. Look for “… below this box.”

20. Paste Coordinates in space below

21. Click “OK”

Hope this helps

SgtSue, thanks for the reply, but I'm still looking for something a little more automated. I have used other programs to define a route manually by creating list of waypoints, much as you've described. What I was looking for was a way for the entire defined route, including twist and turns of roads to be transfered to the Arc Filter. Any additional help is greatly appreciated.

Again, and bear with me here, How?  I can create a route in Topo, but how do you take it from there?

Assuming that you have one of the later and compatible Topo versions, Save your route (creating an ANR file), Remember where Topo saved it, usually ...\Delorme\Navigation\ and the name you/it gave the file.

Open GSAK,

Open the Filter Dialog Box,

Open the Arc/Line/Poly Dialog tab

Click Load from File

Find the ANR file you saved from Topo

Select and import

Put the offset distance in

Click on Go

That should do it.

Cache Well

Delorme Topo USA v5.0 saves the .anr files for a route.  The import into GSAK is straight forward.  Search/Filter/Arc,Poly/Load from File.  Then select the appropriate anr file from the Topo files.  This technique avoids having to cut and paste every waypoint along the route.

GSAK will also support routes created in MapSource.

However, there is a problem with the version of GPSBabel that is shipped with GSAK version 4.1.3 and MapSource routes.

To fix this, just download the latest beta version of GPSBabel from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=58972 then unzip to your install folder of GSAK

Edited by ClydeE
Delorme Topo USA v5.0 saves the .anr files for a route.  The import into GSAK is straight forward.  Search/Filter/Arc,Poly/Load from File.  Then select the appropriate anr file from the Topo files.  This technique avoids having to cut and paste every waypoint along the route.

However, there is a problem with the version of GPSBabel that is shipped with GSAK version 4.1.3 and MapSource routes.

To fix this, just download the latest beta version of GPSBabel from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=58972 then unzip to your install folder of GSAK

Clyde,

I think I am the one who misled people about GSAK not handling Mapsource routes. This question came up while I was having the troubles that you mentioned here. I thought that I had sucessfully created filters using Mapsource routes before but couldn't remember with which version. As a beta tester, I try to be very careful about this but sometimes my brain just does a core dump. Without a backup file it's hard to do a restore afterwards.

Sorry about misleading people about this.

And GSAK/Babel has been corrected.

Cache Well.

Now To answer the original post concerning the steps for creating a line filter in GSAK from a mapsource Route.

Create Route in Mapsource,

Select Files/Export.

Find the folder where you want to save the file in the export dialog box,

Name The File and Click save

Open GSAK

Select Search/Filter

Click on the Arc/Poly Tab

Click on Load From File

Find the folder where you saved the file

Select the saved File

Click on Open

Make any other option selections you want for your filter

Click on GO

THat should do it.

Hope this Helps

Cache Well

Clyde,

I think I am the one who misled people about GSAK not handling Mapsource routes. This question came up while I was having the troubles that you mentioned here. I thought that I had sucessfully created filters using Mapsource routes before but couldn't remember with which version. As a beta tester, I try to be very careful about this but sometimes my brain just does a core dump. Without a backup file it's hard to do a restore afterwards.

Sorry about misleading people about this.

And GSAK/Babel has been corrected.

Cache Well.

No need to apologise.

I am just happy it was brought to my attention and this issue has been resolved :unsure: .

Based on information from another forum concerning Setting a Mapsource route, waypoints or Tracklog as a filter for GSAK. I think it would be best to make sure that only one type of source is exported to the file you are going use as a filter, Waypoints only, Route only or Track only.

Hope this helps.

Cache Well