Garmin Gps

vk4da

G'day,

My name is Bob I am new to Geocaheing and having a ball. I have also got a friend interested as well, so much that he has just got himself a etrex camo, I have a 12xl.

My question is, if I load in a lat/lon into the gps using hddd.dddd format either manualy or via the computer it all goes in well but it tells me that a cache is 30km away where in fact I know it is only 4 km away.

On the other hand I load in utm from the same area, manually and via the computer and it tells me the cache is 4km, correct.

So why are the Lat/lon co-ords on cache sights wrong or am I using the wrong format or is there something else going on???

Can anyone help me please???

vk2jmp@bigpond.net.au

or via this forum.

Thanks

Bob

VK2JMP

I noticed you said you're entering coordinates in the "hddd.dddd" format, but coordinates on geocaching.com are usually in the "hddd.mm.mmm" format. Maybe this is the problem? Check that your gps receiver is set to hddd.mm.mmm and not hddd.dddd. If it's not this, and not the map datum, then I'm not sure. I know on my GPSr, which has autorouting feature, if I accidently route to a waypoint on-road instead of off-road (as the crow flies) I'll obviously get a much larger distance to travel.