Old Gps With Only Two Digits In Seconds

O Crew

I just bought a Magellan Blazer 12 GPS off of ebay for my father as a cheap beginner GPS. I noticed tha the seconds only go out two digits. Is this a very big deal? Is it still accurate enough? I have not tried it on a cache yet.

wellllll yes and no.

If memory serves me the difference between .001 and .002 is APPROXIMATELY (ok techies don't jump on this I'm just trying to be close, I know it depends on Lat or Lon and where you are.) 4.5-6 feet. so that makes the difference between .01 and .02 45-60 feet. If the hiders Coords are spot on then 45-60 feet might not be to bad on a good day. I know people who can find a cache with that kind of margin. Its up to you. I would not recommend using it to hide a cache as its nice to get as close as possible. Suggestion. Take the GPS and you go find a cache you already know where it is or set a point with your GPS and see how close the 2 digit GPS gets you. This will give you an idea of how hard it will be.

My magellan 310 has the same issue.... I am limited to a 2 decimal precision... there are two ways around this.. the first is to use the degree Decimal minutes (DD MM.MMMM) format or , as I have done, use the UTM(Uniform Transverse Mercator) coordinate system. UTM does not use decimals at all and has the potential to be accurate to just over 3 feet.