Special One Off Fundraising For Rnli

With Thanks to Lactodorum and Eckington we are able to place this special fundraising topic on this forum. Thanks Guys.

As you may have seen on the forum already the Happisborough RNLI Lifeboat Station in Norfolk has been broken into and specific equipment has been taken Radios, Night-Vision Binoculars and Global Positioning System (GPS).

One of the crew members Phil Smith said he believed that the thieves knew exactly what they were looking for and that the thieves did not care that they were putting lives at risk. It is thought that the equipment stolen may be offered for sale on the second hand market. Anyone offered these items are requested to contact Norfolk Police or Crimestoppers.

In light of the nature of our hobby and us all knowing the importance of the GPS guidance systems not just in our own hobby but in life threatening emergency situations. We thought it would be a nice gesture from the UK Geocaching Community if we could club together to try to raise some money to help towards the purchase of replacement GPS equipment. Whatever we can raise would surely help the Happisborough Crew.

It would also help to get some good publicity for our sport and the caring peoples who take part in it.

So what do we intend doing well:-

Firstly we have a USA Geocoin which we have put up for Auction through the original thread which has a link to the story on the BBC News Website.

The Fundraising Topic has now moved here. So please get your bids and or donations noted here and not on the previous topic. We have promised Lactodorum and Eckington that this topic will end on Sunday next the 17th October when the highest bidder will be announced.

We also hope to make a collection at the Meet in Lymm on Saturday the 16th. No one will be pressurised into giving, if you are attending the Meet and wish to make a donation please see either Mark (Cave Troll) or Myself. If you are not attending but still wish to donate and or bid you can contact us through our profile.

The first bid is for £5.00 from Kbootb if his bid is unsucessful he is donating his bid amount for the fund. Thanks Kbootb.

After the fundraising closes we are hoping to find a nearby Geocacher who would be kind enough to make the presentation at the Lifeboat Station. If not then Mark and I will have to try to get there and back in one day. Hopefully we will be able to get some good publicity in the local press, so anyone who knows anyone else who is willing to help in any way please let us know.

These are Good Guys who do not need this added pressure they risk their lives to save anyone in need. Let us help them to save more lives.

:P RNLI has always been our charity of choice. Martin has been a subscriber for years. Put us down for £10.00 I am hoping to make it to Lymm next week and will give it to you then, but if not will make arrangements to get it to you ASAP. I think this is a very worthwhile cause and thank you for taking it on.

Lynn

My email address is correct as we own both the singular and plural domain names. :unsure:

The emails have been received and replied to.

Once all the donations/bid monies are received we will post the grand total raised on this topic for all to see.

As some emails are getting lost in cyberspace I will copy the reply below.

Thanks for your really kind donation, if you are in agreement you can send

the cheque to

Mark Smith

Pennijar Cottage

5 Peacock Fold

Leigh

Lancashire

WN7 5BG

Mark is going to clear the moneys and then we will just present one

(hopefully) big cheque at the end of the appeal. In just a few hours we are

nearly up to £100 so that is really good going. If you would prefer to make

your cheque out to who ever at the RNLI let us know and we will find out who

to make it out to. Having started this at the weekend we haven't been able

to contact anyone as yet.

;);) The generosity of you guys is amazing. ;);)

I think there's a slight error in Mark & Joans' e-mail addy, as given above.

joan@lancashireheeler.info seems to work ok.

I can confirm that this is the correct address.

Visited their profile and e-mailed from there. While there, visit their website to reveal the 'unusual' nature of their e-mail address. Or am I the only person ignorant on this subject :unsure:

I'll happily chuck £5 in to bring it up to a sweet £100. Easiest way for me is a bank transfer. Could you drop relevant details to admin@geohikes.co.uk and I'll sort it out.

Re: gift aid, there would be no reason that the sum total could be giftaided before handing over would there?

The First Three cheques for the RNLI (Happisburgh) Fund Raiser. Have arrived this morning 13th October.

The Fund Total (received donations) stands at £25.00

The Total will be updated when further donations arrive.

So watch this space well not literally, but the topic will be updated.

We are going to email people individually as their donation arrives, so that they know we have received their donation.

Our bank takes 5 days to clear cheques. Any cash donations will also be documented and then paid into Mark's Account. That way we will be able to just get one cheque for the whole amount when all donations have cleared.

Joan

The address and relevant information for your donations is stated earlier on in this topic.

Fund update 14th October 2004

4 more donations received today totalling £55.00

Total of all donations to date stands at £80.00.

Thank you to all who have donated so far. Anyone else who wishes to donate can send their cheques to:

Mark Smith

Pennijar Cottage

5, Peacock Fold

Leigh

Lancashire

WN7 5BG

Again I will email each person as their donation is received.

Thank you all you are proving what a kind hearted bunch us Geocachers are.

Don't forget the raffle which has been organised by Mongoose39UK for 25 elongated pennies with the Geocaching logo on them. The raffle is to be held at the Meet in Lymm on Saturday. We are certainly down for at least a couple of tickets, we would love to get our hands on one of these. Very rare and an original idea.

Also anyone wanting to donate to the fund at the Meet, just seek out myself or Cave Troll (Mark) and we will be happy to receive your donations on the day. All donations are voluntary and no-one will be going round with a hat to collect so no-one should feel pressurised to donate to the fund.

Joan

Watch this topic for tomorrows update.

Edited by Cave Troll & Joan

Fund Update 15th October 2004

We have received two donations this morning the total of the two donations is

£105.00

Bringing the fund total to date to £185.00

Personal Thank You's will be winging their way to you both by email.

Mark has paid the donations received to date into the bank this morning and he has ordered one of the large cheques that are used for presentations, we were surprised to find that these are actually Free, what you may say Free, well I suppose it is good publicity for the bank as well to have their name involved with the fundraising effort.

Don't forget the raffle which has been organised by Mongoose39UK for 25 elongated pennies with the Geocaching logo on them. The raffle is to be held at the Meet in Lymm on Saturday. We are certainly down for at least a couple of tickets, we would love to get our hands on one of these. Very rare and an original idea.

Also anyone wanting to donate to the fund at the Meet, just seek out myself or Cave Troll (Mark) and we will be happy to receive your donations on the day. All donations are voluntary and no-one will be going round with a hat to collect so no-one should feel pressurised to donate to the fund.

Joan

Watch this topic for tomorrows update.

North West Meet

The RNLI raffle prizes are:-

One unused cache with various bits and pieces plus 15 elongated pennies

One unused cache with various bits and pieces plus 10 elongated pennies

One unused cache with various bits and pieces plus 2 elongated pennies

Tickets will be available at the North West Meet at a cost of 25p each or 5 for a pound (Tigger Two has been appointed sales person).

Cheers Tony

Happisburgh RNLI Fund Raising update 16th October 2004

Wow is all we can say about the kindhearted cachers who attended the cache event today.

We did not receive any donations by post today but wait for it

yesterday the fund total to date was £185.00

At the Cache event in Lymm today we received donations amounting to £70.00

The Raffle kindly organised and run by Mongoose39UK and his helpers raised £40.00 making todays total including our own £10.00 donation

£120.00

Which makes the fund total to date £305.00

Raffle Winners

1st Prize was won by Seasider

2nd Prize was won by Team Madie UK

Dare I say who the 3rd Prize was won by, It was Me Joan, I did buy quite a few tickets though.

4th Prize. Sadly I cannot remember who actually won the USA Geocoin donated on the day by Pengy and Tigger (I had a banging headache due to lack of sleep and an encounter or two with a tree branch while retrieving the final cache of Lymm Dam Frustration). If it was you please let me know so that I can add your name to the list of winners.

As far as we know more donations pledged are still to arrive and further updates will be posted as and when.

Today as promised to Lactodorum and Eckington is the final day for the actual fundraising. I am sure though in light of the magnificent amount raised so far that they will allow us to post updates for a short time which will allow the final pledges to arrive and be added to the total raised.

As soon as the presentation is arranged it will be posted on this thread allowing anyone who would like to attend the opportunity to do so.

You all make us so proud to be members of such a caring and generous bunch of people.

Joan :D:D:D:D:D

:D I am glad to hear that the fundraising went so well. As subscribers to RNLI and as one of the lucky winners, I have several items that I have purchased from RNLI that I will put into the cache in exchange for the puppy and candle to help promote their good work. They grey matter is working overtime now to think of a way to make this new cache RNLI oriented/themed. All suggestions welcome.

Lynn & Martin

18th October 2004 Happisburgh RNLI Fundraising Update.

What a Great Bunch of Geocachers you are

As you know after the NW Meet at the Green on Saturday the

fund total helped by the raffle and donations at the event Stood at £305.00

The post man arrived this morning bearing yet more donations in the form of 4 cheques the total of which was a magnificent £150.00. One of these cheques was for £100.00 from a Geocacher who wishes to remain anonymous.

Again I will try to reply to each person who's donation has arrived today, may be a little tricky though as some of you have not put your Geocaching names with your covering letters. I will try my powers of deduction though. Anyone who has sent a cheque or cash donation who has not heard from me, please email through our profile and I will let you know if it has arrived. I have written down the names of account holders from all cheques received along with the amount donated therefore I have a full record of donators to date the same goes for the cash we have received by mail.

This brings the Total Amount of Donations so far to a magnificent £455.00

Further updates to follow as and when donations are received.

Joan

Happisburgh RNLI Fundraising update 19th October 2004.

Previous total £455.00

1 cheque received today

New Fund Total £465.00

We are slowly heading toward the £500 will we make it. Keep your eye on the topic new total updated as and when cheques arrive.

Email sent to confirm cheque received.

You Guys are all brilliant. The total raised is beyond our wildest dreams already and in just over 7 days.

Happisburgh RNLI Fundraiser.

I have just spoken with the Landlord of the Hill House (the only pub in Happisburgh). Sam also just happens to be one of the Lifeboat Men in the village. I have told him all about our hobby and he was over the moon when I told him about our fund raising efforts and how much we have raised to date.

He has given me the telephone number of the Happisburgh RNLI Treasurer and Press Secretary who I telephoned unfortunately he was not home, so I have left a message for him to telephone me. So that we can arrange the Presentation and Press Coverage for the event. Yep I did say event.

Watch out for The Happisburgh Cheque Presentation and TB Swop Event. (coming soon) Which will be on a Saturday (as Mark & I will have to travel there and back on the same day) of course the Presentation (hopefully) will be at the Lifeboat Station and then we will all move on to The Hill House (mentioned in CAMRA for all you real ale buffs) They also do home cooked meals.

We would love to see as many of you as possible there for the Presentation and now you have a reason to travel down to Norfolk. You will be able to log it as a Find. Note for local Geocachers:- A couple of caches in the Happisburgh area would be a lovely touch.

If you are interested in attending the Event please let me know hopefully it will be within the next few weeks. As soon as I have spoken with The Treasurer and Press Secretary I will let you know the date.

More details will appear shortly.

Joan

Happisburgh RNLI Fund Raising Update 20th October 2004

Today we have received 2 cheques totalling £60.00

emails thanking you both already sent out.

Which makes the Fund Total Todate £525.00

Give yourselves a great big pat on the back, it is greatly deserved. When Mark (Cave Troll) and I started the fundraising we hoped we may raise a couple of hundred pounds. But over five hundred is beyond our wildest dreams.

I have been in contact with the Happisburgh RNLI fundraising chairman, and I am just waiting for him to confirm the date we put forward. He is also going to sort out the Tax Free Gift papers for Mark to sign on the day so that they can claim the tax back on our donation.

He is also going to send out a press briefing through the RNLI press office, to local press, tv stations etc. I sent him an email last night giving him information about our sport/hobby that he is going to include in his press briefing.

Once the date is confirmed the event cache details will be unveiled

Joan

Happisburgh RNLI Fundraising update

21st October 2004

Today we have received a further cheque for £10.00

email thanking you on way

Previous total £525.00

New Total £535.00

You guys are just brilliant. You have astounded us with your generosity and help in raising money to help the Happisburgh RNLI to replace some of the equipment stolen.

We should have the date for the Cheque Presentation confirmed at some point today. As soon as we have the information we need from Happisburgh, we will get the Event page up and running. If you can be as generous with your time as you have been with your donations. The day of the Presentation Event will be a roaring success. We would love to see You There.

Joan

Happisburgh RNLI Fundraising Update 22nd October 2004

One cheque received today. (Email thanking you on the way)

Previous total £535.00

Which brings the total Fund raised up to £545.00

I can't say enough just how kind hearted you guys are. You are all Stars.

We are still awaiting confirmation of the date of the presentation so that we can get the event finalized. As soon as we know for sure. I will post the date on this topic, and we will get the Event Page up and running. We are hoping to see as many of you there as possible on the day. After all without your generosity there wouldn't be a Presentation or an Event.

Joan