Speed Up Gps

TEAM G&V

Is there any way that I can speed up my GPS!!

drive faster...lol <_<

actually, do as mentioned before. once I get about 40-30 feet from the cache, I stop and just stand there. It lets the unit decide what its position really is. You'd be amazed that the cords keep changing for about five seconds... hope this helps.

Bike Hike Cache

A few others have said it half-jokingly, but are you using a Magellan? The way the GPS averages your position can sometimes cause this to occur. When using my Magellan, when within about 50' of the cache, stop moving. You'll see the distance to the cache start to decrease even though you're not moving. When it has settled down, go ahead and proceed to the cache site.

Hope that helps.

<_<

Magellans get a bad rap on the slingshot effect. I notice it now and then, but for the most part, I rarely over shoot the cache by more than 20 feet. I've never, ever overshot a cache by 50 yards (except when I was talking and not looking at my GPS <_< ).

--Marky

I agree with Marky. I believe that the so-called "slingshot effect" is caused by Magellan's slightly slower processing time, and I have seldom seen it at more than 4-5 seconds. If someone is overshooting the cache by 50 yards in that 4-5 seconds, they are alot faster on their feet than I am! :) What model are you using, and is it upgraded with the latest firmware?

Edited by 4x4van
I agree with Marky.  I believe that the so-called "slingshot effect" is caused by Magellan's slightly slower processing time, although I have seldom seen it more than 4-5 seconds.  If someone is overshooting the cache by 50 yards in that 4-5 seconds, they are alot faster on their feet than I am! :)

There is more to it than than just processing speed. I tried to get Magellan to comment on it but they acted clueless. Meanwhile ST users often walk by a cache then come back to it (20-40' is normal, not 20-40 yards) while Garmin users don't.

Behavior in other areas (which we have discussed) leads me to believe that Garmin and Magellan process the signal and determine your current position differently but without a white paper on the programming and the philosopy behind their approach, we will be hard pressed to have the definitive answer.

How they process signal and location causes the sling shot effect in magellan, but at the same time, magellans don't bounce around as much in the woods as a garmin does. It's related to the same thing as the slingshot effect.

One thing that would account for the behavior is if Magellan averaged your 5 last locations and used the resulting number as your reported postion. If it was a raw average it would not account for your movement in that time, you would then walk past the cache then come back. However signal bounce in the woods would also impact any one position less on Magellans. That's speculation and will remain that until Magellan or someone in the know says what is going on.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Meanwhile ST users often walk by a cache then come back to it (20-40' is normal, not 20-40 yards) while Garmin users don't.

That is cause the Garmin owners are standing at the edge of the woods trying to keep their SAT locks, while the Maggie owners are treking through the woods with their 10 bird lock on. :):ph34r::):unsure:

Edited by MedicP1
I very can only recall a couple of times I have seen the slingshot effect on an of my Magellans. those times were when I was using my Mt Bike to get to the cache so I was moving a lot faster than when I am in the Biped function.

As 4x4Van has said it could relate to speed. It's reported more with Sport tracks than Meridians. If the time between each update was less, and they did use a simple average, then you would see less of it with the faster models.