Take A Look At My “beginners” Page

Thot

very informative. I noticed that you are using frontpage to design the page. and to me atleast front page has a tenancy to make things look a little generic. dont get me wrong, im not knocking it I think the links and information are top notch!! big A plus on that. all I am saying is that look of the site could be better. i have made several sites and have alot of experience with graphics and photoshop. If you would like I could help a little and make the site really pop!

once again the site is very informative and I myself have already sent the link to several of the people I have exposed to geocaching. I think it is a great first primer on the sport/addiction

Is there some significance to why some parts are in a much smaller type font (which is really difficult to read, especially on a gray background) than others? It seems to just randomly change font sizes. Am I just missing some scheme to this?

And if you don't see what I'm talking about, that means your browser is broken (i.e., it's probably IE). Look at the page in a standards compliant browser, like Mozilla, Firefox, or Opera, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Edited by Prime Suspect

The site isn't bad, but I would change a few wordings.

Well, maybe not change wordings, but add in something... Like, you talk about carrying cache descriptions, prior logs, etc, on printouts, which is fine, but also explain that other people go paperless or use PDAs to store that information instead.

Stuff like that.

I would . . . add in something... Like, you talk about carrying cache descriptions, prior logs, etc, on printouts, which is fine, but also explain that other people go paperless or use PDAs to store that information instead. 

Done! I added a sidebar near the end of the "What to carry caching" section.

Edited by Thot

Thanks to everyone for their kudos. Assures me it was worth the effort. Would it be presumptuous for me to suggest Jeremy add it to his "Read First!" message pinned to the top of this forum? The one that has this list:

o The Official Geocaching.com FAQ

o The Groundspeak Knowledgebase

o Markwell's Update to the FAQ

o Groundspeak Travel Bug FAQ

o Benchmark Hunting FAQ

Though it's a Beginners Guide or Beginners Tutorial and not called an FAQ, it's really supposed to answer beginners' questions.

I realize I can add another post in this long thread, but it has become so long I have to wonder how many people ever read all the posts in it. And, it has specific question/answer posts. I remember when I started I was overwhelmed by the stuff to read and I read Jeremy's initial set and followed the links, but I quit after seeing how narrow the focus some of the follow-on messages and how many there were. I think if it's to be seen by beginners it needs to be in the initial list.

Not a bad page, ya might want to make certain that the powers that be do not mind your using the Groundspeak/geocaching logo on tha page... I doubt they mind, but they might.

In order to "provide fair and balanced coverage" you may also want to mention the two "other " listing sites.

Again, Good Work :o

Not a bad page, ya might want to make certain that the powers that be do not mind your using the Groundspeak/geocaching logo on tha page... I doubt they mind, but they might.

In order to "provide fair and balanced coverage" you may also want to mention the two "other " listing sites.

Again, Good Work :o

take a look at the bottom of the page -

The Groundspeak Geocaching Logo is a trademark of Groundspeak, Inc. Used with permission.

I am a complete and utter newbie who hasn't been out yet - I like it ;)

I found the what should I carry and tips section especially.

You may want to expand a bit on that the Pocket Queries have a lot more information on them. That was a little unclear until I downloaded them to try it out both ways.

Some examples of appreciated things to bring to trade might be nice. I think I've gleaned enough from lurking ont he boards here to steer away from McDonalds toys and try to keep the quality of items up. Also keep in mind they will be in a humid environment, etc.

Thanks!

-Chris M.

Thanks to everyone for their kudos. Assures me it was worth the effort. Would it be presumptuous for me to suggest Jeremy add it to his "Read First!" message pinned to the top of this forum? The one that has this list:

o The Official Geocaching.com FAQ

o The Groundspeak Knowledgebase

o Markwell's Update to the FAQ

o Groundspeak Travel Bug FAQ

o Benchmark Hunting FAQ

Though it's a Beginners Guide or Beginners Tutorial and not called an FAQ, it's really supposed to answer beginners' questions.

I realize I can add another post in this long thread, but it has become so long I have to wonder how many people ever read all the posts in it. And, it has specific question/answer posts. I remember when I started I was overwhelmed by the stuff to read and I read Jeremy's initial set and followed the links, but I quit after seeing how narrow the focus some of the follow-on messages and how many there were. I think if it's to be seen by beginners it needs to be in the initial list.

I've added a post to the FAQ thread.

I would agree that the FAQ thread was getting cumbersome. If you haven't been there for awhile, take a peek and you will see that I have cleaned it up considerably, by deleting very old posts that didn't rise to "FAQ" status.