New Servers For Geocaching.com

Elias

Its been slower here in the uk the past couple of days.

It's now 10pm Monday night and i've had several "server too busy" error messages this evening.....this means the servers must be REALLY slow if I'm getting the sunday evening errors on Monday night!

Just in case it helps :-

Server Error in '/' Application.

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +146

Nothing but errors and it's dog slow - still

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream) +742

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +45

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +5

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +304

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +77

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet) +38

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlConnectionManager.FillDataSet(String sql, Database database, Int32 Timeout) +209

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlGalleryController.GetGalleryImageData(Int64 GalleryID, ImageDataSources ImageDataSource) +108

Groundspeak.Web.Gallery.Gallery.get_GalleryImages() +40

Geocaching.UI.track_details.ShowImages() +99

Geocaching.UI.track_details.GenerateBugPage() +214

Geocaching.UI.track_details.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +77

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1085

Geocaching.UI.track_details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +225

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

This will clear up when we install the new machines on Tuesday night (planned).

Is Tuesday night the night between Monday and Tuesday (most of the night is actually on Tuesday's side) or the night between Tuesday and Wednesday (somehow this sounds more like 'Tuesday night' anyhow... :blink: )? That is, does the machine installing take place on Tuesday or Wednesday morning/afternoon in European time zones?

I'm sorry, what does your place of living do with my question? You announced on Monday afternoon (your time) that you'll do something on 'Tuesday night'. I wondered what do you mean by 'Tuesday night', the night between Monday and Tuesday or the night between Tuesday and Wednesday. Both can be understood as 'Tuesday nights'. Or do you mean that on the west coast of the US 'Tuesday night' has unambiguous meaning? I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of that. :blink:

I wondered what do you mean by 'Tuesday night', the night between Monday and Tuesday or the night between Tuesday and Wednesday. Both can be understood as 'Tuesday nights'.

No the night between Monday and Tuesday is either Monday night or Tuesday morning. After 6 p.m. and until 11:59 p.m. it is the night of the day. At 12 midnight it is the morning of the day. So it won't be Tuesday night until 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday.

And maybe this work will actually slip into part of Wednesday morning if they start to have problems.

But hey you folks have those long days and nights that last for months so hell I don't know how things work there.

Edited by GrizzlyJohn
I'm sorry, what does your place of living do with my question? You announced on Monday afternoon (your time) that you'll do something on 'Tuesday night'. I wondered what do you mean by 'Tuesday night', the night between Monday and Tuesday or the night between Tuesday and Wednesday. Both can be understood as 'Tuesday nights'. Or do you mean that on the west coast of the US 'Tuesday night' has unambiguous meaning? I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of that. :blink:

I would assume it has to do with his time. I'd assume he meant Tuesday night in the US Pacific Time zone.

Today is Tuesday - Tuesday night is tonight. Last night was Monday night.

sd

Ok, I made the same assumption (tonight - Tuesday night), and naturally I knew he was talking about US Pacific Time zone, but the concept of 'Tuesday night' was ambiguous to me (like it actually is in my language too, for the reasons I mentioned in my first post). Elias' original post was quite clear, btw! :blink:

But like lizzzard said, it's great to know that the server problems are worked. Thanks for the English lesson everyone. :D

Edited by Divine

I've got a real oddity for you guys.

I just did the cache GCKTBT "Easy to be Hard". I logged the find.

My find count increased by one

My Cache page shows I found the cache

Nearby caches page shows I found it today

The cache page does not show my log

Some other computers do show my log....not all (called several people)

I can view my log from the My Cache page

No amount of cache (computer) clearing etc. has resolved the issue.

Someone also did some caches on my watchlist this weekend (I got emails) but their logs are not there (different computer yet)

Thanks for any help.

Woohoo!  Now if people would only stop submitting new caches, we should be in good shape with the new servers for a long time to come. :lol:

Patience is not a better virtue of mine...though I am trying because I can appreciate computer problems. Thank you Jeremy for letting us know that as of Wednesday all will be good again on geocaching.com and I can finally enter my two new caches...like I don't have enough already :(

We use a lot of caching on the web site locally. If you just be patient and wait a short while it will show up on the cache page.

The issue I experienced with this was I received the email notification because a cache that was logged was on my watch list. When I went to the cache page... no log.

It eventually showed up, but I was baffled on why it happened. It never previously happened until this week and I've got hundreds (thousands) of email notifications before.

a cache that was logged was on my watch list. When I went to the cache page... no log.

It eventually showed up, but I was baffled on why it happened. It never previously happened until this week

I think the problem is that last week they upgraded the web server to a farm of two very powerful web servers. But they're still getting data from a less-than-powerful database server. Thus they're running some pretty aggressive data caching on the web servers. This means logs don't always show up for a while, among other issues.

There is a new, powerful database server ready to put into place, but they were delayed last night in getting it installed. Hopefully that installation will happen tonight and then they'll be able to back off on the caching a bit.

Help!

I have not received any cache notices, watch list notices or pocket queries since Monday, the 11th.

I had been using my own domain name for Email, Stephen@scook.net. I am receiving other mail to my account so I'm sure it is not my hosting/mail service. However, I have had trouble in posting Email to a few places in the past, but never problems in receiving mail from Geocaching.com or any other place.

I have now just changed my profile to use another Email address, scook48227@ameritech.net. I have successfully validated my account but the problem using that account is that Ameritech (SBC/Yahoo) refused to deliver most Pocket Queries.

This is the message I received this morning-

"Yahoo! Mail Virus Protection detected a virus ""in the file '"3611.gpx"', attached to the enclosed email message. We scanned the file using Norton AntiVirus but were unable to clean it. Therefore, we removed the content of the attachment from the message. Please contact the message sender if you want to receive the attachment. They must clean the file and resend it before we can deliver it to you safely."

I changed my Email address back to Stephen@scook.net this morning and did not receive an validation Email after 8 hours. I then changed it again this afternoon to Scook48227@ameritech.net and received a validation within 10 minutes.

Am I forced to change mail accounts to receive Emails from Geocaching?

Am I also forced to zip all Pocket Queries to receive them? (I don't like the extra work)

Am I somehow, unknown to me, being marked as a spammer and mail servers refuse to honor my domain name? If so, anyone know how to correct that?

Edited by Scook
Am I also forced to zip all Pocket Queries to received them?

If it makes it work, yes.

This is not geocaching.com's fault. There can't be a virus in a text file, which is what a GPX file is. This is the fault of the over-zealous virus filter that your ISP is using.

I have not received any cache notices, watch list notices or pocket queries since Monday, the 11th.

I had been using my own domain name for Email, Stephen@scook.net. I am receiving other mail to my account so I'm sure it is not my hosting/mail service.

All the mail we've been sending to your domain has been accepted by your host's mail server. Today we delivered 6 emails, yesterday 10, and Tuesday we delivered 19. I'll send you the logs showing delivery in a PM so you can follow up with your host.

Am I forced to change mail accounts to receive Emails from Geocaching?

Am I also forced to zip all Pocket Queries to receive them? (I don't like the extra work)

Am I somehow, unknown to me, being marked as a spammer and mail servers refuse to honor my domain name? If so, anyone know how to correct that?

We're not forcing you to do any of those things. But we have no control over email once it leaves our servers. We offer the option of zipping GPX files mainly so that the files are smaller for people to download. It turns out that some antivirus products flag them as infected, and other Geocachers have reported that by zipping their GPX files, they pass the antivirus filters. In the case of Hotmail and some other mail providers, receiving mail has been so unreliable that some users have had to change email accounts to get mail from us.

But none of those things we can control. There's nothing we're doing that is preventing you from receiving email. We send out a ton of email, and with only one or two exceptions, every reported case of missing email has been due to ISP mail server problems or filtering.

I'll be happy to work with your host to try to track down this problem. Just let me know how I can help.

:o Elias

Thursday PM... me neither.  Nor can I change my forum title or edit my travel bugs.

This is very strange. Can you tell me who your ISP is and what browser you are using?

;) Elias

My ISP is AOL, the browser is whatever it is that's part of AOL.

I went to the library this morning to submit a new cache and it took it, but I still couldn't edit my newest TB. When I came home I discovered a mistake in my cache page and later edited it. But I still can't edit my TB.

This is the TB, I'm trying to put the picture on the page and it will tell me that it has accepted the edit, but it hasn't.

This is one of those times when I have no idea what's going on, but I'm confident that you guys will figure it out. I just hope that I can anwer your questions in a way that makes sense to you.

With AOL running, try opening IE or Mozilla or any other browser you have on your computer and see if that helps. The AOL browser uses some AOL proxy servers that cache website content and they appear not to have noticed that we moved our servers around. At some point they should refresh their cache and notice this change. I'm really surprised it hasn't happened already.

Let me know if this works for you.

;) Elias

With AOL running, try opening IE or Mozilla or any other browser you have on your computer and see if that helps.

Okay, I did that using IE. I can now change my forum title. But I still can't put the picture in my travel bug page.

Just to see what would happen, I went to one of my other TB pages and edited it to remove the picture. It took the picture out without a problem, but them when I edited it to put the picture back, it tells me that I was successful but the picture isn't there. When I hit the edit button again, it has "no image" in the line where it tells you what image is there.

I just came out of IE and used my regular AOL, and can now change my forum title on that. But I am still unable to put a picture on my TB page.

Edited by RichardMoore

I also have AOL and discovered last night using IE helped me to FINALLY get a cache listing put through for approval. Am I supposed to call AOL and tell them you changed servers and that they need to change something now to accomodate your new servers so that I don't have to use IE anytime it involves geocaching.com??? Thanks for any input. !@#$ AOL anyway :mad:

Am I supposed to call AOL and tell them you changed servers and that they need to change something now to accomodate your new servers so that I don't have to use IE anytime it involves geocaching.com?

Um, no. You're supposed to call AOL and cancel your service and find a new ISP--in the future continuing to use IE, or Netscape, or Firefox, or Mozilla, or any one of the other web browswers.

Jamie

OK here is the code that was needed to make the new servers work.

{ if new servers + new patches = Server busy}

{ then reduce speed to act the way it was with error messages}

{ else new hardware minus patches plus additional error messages equal}

[ slower response ]

<_<

I'm sure that there is a very large list of to do's for tuning that will be attended to as time allows....

Just kidding

We still haven't switched to the new database machine, due to the issues with updating the firewall last week. We're going to get the new database up either tuesday or wednesday. We would do it earlier but didn't want to impact the busiest geocaching times.