New Servers For Geocaching.com

Elias

Around 11 AM Pacific Time (GMT-7), we moved the Geocaching.com web site on to two new dedicated web servers. Each server is roughly twice as fast as the old one.

We've done a lot of testing on these new boxes in the last couple of weeks and we're pretty sure this transition will be seamless. However, if you notice something strange, please let us know.

:) Elias

Awesome news guys I hope the cut over goes flawlessly for you.

I had to move a number of servers out of a office server room to a real IDC a few weeks ago and it was the most smooth move I've ever experienced and it was a VERY welcome change from the norm.

Thorin

Initially the site was built to run on one machine, so it was quite the task to figure out how to run it on a server farm. Maps actually generate on its own machine, and images are now also managed on its own machine. So when you upload an image to the site it moves to another machine and managed from there. Ugh.

So we now have 6 machines running the site:

2 Web servers

2 Database servers (one mothership, one read-only)

1 Map Server

1 Image Server

And 2 supporting boxes:

1 Mail Server

1 Pocket Query Generator Server

We also have a new database server to replace Tigger (the mother ship), which will even create a larger boost in response time on the web site. This is currently the biggest area of improvement to be made. We hope to get this change done Tuesday or Wednesday night, which will involve a downtime of 1-2 hours.

Additionally, a new firewall will be online soon, thanks to Elias.

Initially the site was built to run on one machine, so it was quite the task to figure out how to run it on a server farm. Maps actually generate on its own machine, and images are now also managed on its own machine. So when you upload an image to the site it moves to another machine and managed from there. Ugh.

2 Web servers

1 Map Server

1 Image Server

And 2 supporting boxes:

1 Mail Server

We also have a new database server to replace Tigger (the mother ship), which will even create a larger boost in response time on the web site. This is currently the biggest area of improvement to be made. We hope to get this change done Tuesday or Wednesday night, which will involve a downtime of 1-2 hours.

Additionally, a new firewall will be online soon, thanks to Elias.

Very nice. Thanks as always to you and your staff. :D

And to think there are those who feel their $30 bucks is a wasted investment. :P Its all the rage these days. I see post after post mentioning it. :P:P:P:D:D

2 Web servers

1 Map Server

1 Image Server

And 2 supporting boxes:

1 Mail Server

How about some pics of the farm and the anim.... servers?

2 Web servers

1 Map Server

1 Image Server

And 2 supporting boxes:

1 Mail Server

How about some pics of the farm and the anim.... servers?

Ditto

Ditto.

30 bux is good value B) . but i will never use paypal :lol: . i had to resort to hand delivery of cash to a (snail)-mailbox in San-Fran :lol: . delighted with the PQs :lol: . however, the credit card issues will be resolved before the first anniversary of my membership, won't they...... :lol: ?

Now Then...

Just need to persuade Clyde :lol: to sort out registration without paypal! The other option is to hand deliver cash to Oz/NZ :lol: ... life's a bitch..... :lol:

Also, for fun if you're curious what machine you're using, towards the bottom of the front page is some commented text that either says:

<!-- r2d2 -->

or

<!-- c3pO -->

Which tells you what machine you're on.

I thought first this was one of all funny Jeremy-remarks until I look at the HTML code of the page, and found:

</table>

<!-- r2d2 -->

</td></tr></table>

B)

Well I can't speak for others but I can say that for me the since the new servers have been brought online, the site is much much slower for me. I am now waiting up to 1-2 minutes for pages to load, if they load and this with a 1.5 mb download dsl line. B) Sure hope this is just times I've been trying have been busy, but if not hope the issue can be found soon. Would provide error messages if I was getting any but I'm not.

Hi, I've just read that you are changing the servers,

I have just been trying to upload a new cache and to edit some travel bugs, but the submit buttons do nothing, and I cant seem to get any further.

Is this a server problem?

should i wait and try later?

I have a tired typing finger!!

geffersnco

just got an error

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +148

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

Oct 10 2004, 08:43 AM 

Workin' on it.

I was working on some things with the web servers to fix the current AOL bug. There was a temporary problem with the submit button that seems to be resolved.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Thought it was all H2 and our computers :D As of 5:00 P.M. Patriots/RedSox Nation time I still have been unable to log out and "submit" a travel bug :D Notice too that screens are slower coming up :D And we just paid our dues for another year - oh well, maybe they'll take credit cards next year :D Will hang in there and keep trying to log out the TB :D

:D Should TB problems be reported or will they somehow be automatically fixed when things get straightened out? I am the owner of a travel bug that was placed in a cached, but when you go to the cache page, it doesn't show up as being in there. If you go to the TB's page, it does indicated that it's in that cache.

Should I somehow communicate to the site owners through email the details to get this corrected? If so, how?

Thanks

:D

just got an error

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

I'm getting the same thing here on my end...seems to be running very very slow and I get those timeouts every few pages I visit...

just got an error

Server Too Busy

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

I'm getting the same message and the site is running really slow.

Mickemt

Are tonight's problems associated with the new servers or are they caused by the old firewall problem? I seem to get about 2 successes out of 5 tries for pages on the GC.com site. Haven't tried to do anything but check on TBs and Caches. Did get an email through to a cacher who moved one of my TBs. Guess I lucked out on that one.

Cache Well

Also, for fun if you're curious what machine you're using, towards the bottom of the front page is some commented text that either says:

<!-- r2d2 -->

or

<!-- c3pO -->

Which tells you what machine you're on.

I thought first this was one of all funny Jeremy-remarks until I look at the HTML code of the page, and found:

</table>

<!-- r2d2 -->

</td></tr></table>

:D

I didn't think he was joking.

It is kinda funny, though.

just got an error

Server Too Busy

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

I'm getting the same message and the site is running really slow.

Mickemt

I was about to post the same thing. So here my post too.

I get the same message here too. 2 days straight.