Rain Gear Recommendations

Jeremy

my favorite wet gear is the old three piece yellow rain suit - and they are cheap too!!

pants - jackt - hat - (think Gortons) 

I find that if I wear non breathable rainwear like that, I'm wetter inside from sweat and condensation than I would be if I didn't wear anything.

I'm one of those who tends to sweat ALOT so I need to go the breathable route.

For hats, I heartily recommend those Seattle Sombrero Gortex hats. They work great!!! MOst waterproof hat I've owned. Cache Ahead swears by them too. They run 47 bucks or so but it's money well spent.

I haven't used them for geocaching, but I have a set of Frogg Toggs that I picked up on a fishing trip to Canada a few years ago. Scooting across a lake at 15mph in the rain and I stayed dry inside these over the entire day. They also seem to breathe fairly well, and they pack down very well - think of a rainsuit made of something like softer, slightly-fuzzy tyvek.

I'm not certain about long-term durability particularly dealing with thorns and such, but other than that I think they're great.

Rain gear? If price is no problem, anything with GORTEX with a hood would be perfect same goes if you are looking for pants.

Whatever you buy just make sure the seams sealed as well and keep in mind that you may want to buy something bigger so you can layer what you are wearing should you plan to take it into the snow or some other exteme weather.

john doe

Thanks for everyone's feedback. And yes, there was no rain on Sunday which was nice, but I came prepared.

I went with a Mountain Hardwear waterproof breathable soft shell jacket (in my backpack) and a Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Vest (worn in the above photo). For the day I also brought by REI gaiters for hiking in the scratchy brush.

I didn't need the vest until I reached the peak. It came off soon after I started back down to the car.

Also in my pack I had a Seattle Sombrero Gortex hat, but didn't have to use that either. However, the wet season is coming so I expect to be using it soon.

There were some hard shell and hooded options but I prefer to have peripheral vision when hiking, so I went with the hat and a rain jacket that can sinch against the neck. I haven't decided on pants yet but I'll hike in shorts as long as I can.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. And yes, there was no rain on Sunday which was nice, but I came prepared.

I went with a Mountain Hardwear waterproof breathable soft shell jacket (in my backpack) and a Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Vest (worn in the above photo). For the day I also brought by REI gaiters for hiking in the scratchy brush.

I didn't need the vest until I reached the peak. It came off soon after I started back down to the car.

Also in my pack I had a Seattle Sombrero Gortex hat, but didn't have to use that either. However, the wet season is coming so I expect to be using it soon.

There were some hard shell and hooded options but I prefer to have peripheral vision when hiking, so I went with the hat and a rain jacket that can sinch against the neck. I haven't decided on pants yet but I'll hike in shorts as long as I can.

jeremy, I swear -- you look so freakin' different in every photo I see of you, I'd never recognize you on the trail! Kinda like a chameleon!

This thread is a goldmine. I'm soon-to-be in the market for a better coat, also!

I 'm just getting started in this sport but wet weather i know about cause I deep

sea fish the company is grundens I wear it and dont go any were without it

I used it in temps from 15 to 80

Grundens usa Ltd box 2068 Poulsbo WA 98370

if I can boat 15 tuna and stay totally dry it's great gear good luck