Pda ?

Best. Thats a loaded question with the limited info you provided. It depends on if you want to use the PDA as the GPS also. That would be the Garmin ique. There is a pocket PC version of a GPS PDA combo but the Garmin wins out (and I'm a pocket PC fan saying this)

If you are going to use a handhelf GPs (better all around for a bunch of reasons) Any PDA you can buy off the shelf will work. So buy cheap. Dell is cheap for the Pocket PC world. Cheap though they are they are good PDA's.

Cheapest but functional is something from the Palm World used off of eBay.

I havent used Cachemate but it's a palm app. It gets good reviews.

On the PocketPC side there is GPXview and GPXsonar.

You really can't go wrong with either OS.

When I chose I chose Pocket PC because it had better topo mapping available, and because I had a non geocaching use for it and Pocket PC looked better for those reasons as well.

I have a handheld GPS and want a PDA so that I can do "paperless" caching.

I'm back to the same PDA I started with (after dropping my Palm M515 in the irrigation cannal). It's a Handpring Visor and I'd bet you can still pick them up for $50-70 bucks new. Add 8 bucks to unlock CacheMate (best paperless program I've ever seen) and use the rest of your $100 bill for a FTF prize. :lol: This advise goes for PC's as well as Macintosh's as it's all compatible. Plus you can then Beam and receive Beams.

[Handspring is the same as Palm] [CacheMate program can be Beamed. Then a cache and/or file of caches can also be Beamed - I often do this to introduce cachers I meet to demonstrate how great it works]

Happy [paperless] caching. B)

If money isn't too tight, you really can't go wrong with a Sony Clié. Okay, it's a weenie name, and most of the range is hugely overpriced, but they have twice the screen resolution of equivalent Palm devices and excellent color graphics. None of which is really necessary for paperless caching, but it makes the device suddenly useful for reading books, playing Mah Jong and carrying around pictures of your cat.

I got mine used and in less-than-cosmetically perfect (and therefore affordable) condition on eBay. It's what I use instead of a brain.