Serial Vs Usb Connections

CompuCash

booboobee wrote -

AHA! Turns out you CAN use USB with Garmin Etrex Legend. I simply purchased a USB-serial adapter. Plug in the Legend's serial line to the USB line. Plug the USB into the computer. Have at it!

This is not exactly correct and it may confuse some of the others here who are reading this. He orriginally reported haveing a USB connection. As was stated - very few gps's use USB (yet!).

His connection to his gps is a SERIAL connection. He just happen to have a usb/serial adapter. In most new computers there is only one serial connection. Mine just happens to be in use for my weather station. Did not want to deal with multiple cables and a serial switch box so bought a usb/serial adapter. (radio shack about $40)

Works great - use if for both my Garmin Ledgend and Magellan Sprotrack all the time - several sessions back and forth in the same session.

But when you write in the forums and ask for help for a usb connection you give us wrong information and we can't help you with your frustration - we will likely make it worse.

So please - please - give us the full story of the equipment you have - both the model of your gps and the type of connection and any equipment used to make that connection.

thanks for helping us help you -

B):D:)

So please - please - give us the full story of the equipment you have - both the model of your gps and the type of connection and any equipment used to make that connection. 

What CC said! I've lost track of the number of times I've had to back and forth with someone to figure out what the problem is before they could actually be helped!

If the problem is computer related, include your OS, version, and applications involved. If it's GPS related.... tell us what kind of GPS.. (Yes, I know it seems obvious, but sooo many people forget it...)

There's a wealth of expertise around here.... sometimes we just need a little more info... :)

Hey CompuCash & tirediron,

I’ve got this whats-a-ma-gig, it’s hooked up to the thing-a-ma-gig, now where do I hook up the do-hickie. I really need help on setting this up.

I’ve supplied all the info you need.

I really hope everyone realizes, the above is a joke!

Remember, when asking for help, you can never give too many details. It really helps us, to get you on track. Most times we can decipher, what your trying to do, with details.

Now where did I put the henway! SF1