Egnos Going Live

EGNOS announcement

It says Q1-2005: "EGNOS Signals and Data Provision for Non Safety of Life".

I don't think that's exactly what they meant. Unless it means "so the Americans can shoot at people more accurately", I think they should have said "for Applications that are not Critical to Safety of Life" :)

Joking aside: if EGNOS will really be going live in Q1 2005, great. Mind you, we were promised it for Q2 of 2004...

Edited by sTeamTraen

Could someone explain for the idiots what EGNOS is exactly and what it will do for/to the game of Geocaching? And will it make any difference to current GPSr or will we have to upgrade?

Mine is WAAS enabled but I have it turned off because it doesn't improve accuracy and it uses up more GPSr food.

Ta

Simon

P.S. Perhaps an article in the mag would be a good idea?

Put very simply, they chucked a few more satelites up in the sky for us. If you can receieve their signals on your GPS and they are transmitting (not at the moment) you can expect to get down to about 6 feet accuracy given good conditions.

This doesn't help the caches that have been set with 20 foot accuracy of course, but eventually, when you are searching using EGNOS for a cache set with EGNOS, it should be easier to find.

Don't worry too much.. we've done over 150 caches now and our old, clockwork, Garmin GPS 12XL and it hasn't failed us yet. We're desperate to find reasons to upgrade to a shiny new one with EGNOS. or whatever, but the rotten thing still keeps doing a good job. Of course, if EGNOS really does up the accuracy to a few feet then out will come the credit card!

improved accuracy good in some respects but i'm happy with the accuracy we have. if it gets too accurate where will the excitement be?

The introduction of a full EGNOS service might not make as much difference (to geocaching) as you might think. There are two main reasons for this:

1) Many caches - more than 2/3 of the ones I've found, anyway - are in areas where a handheld GPSr doesn't get a full, down-to-the-horizon view of the sky. Because of the way EGNOS is configured... [ 45 lines of technical stuff about equatorial orbits, mask angles, etc, deleted.] ... the differential correction might not be available anyway. This factor becomes more significant as you move N and W in the British Isles.

2) The delivery schedule for EGNOS continues to slip, so it's likely that older geocachers (like myself) will be dead before it ever goes 'live'.

or do i just need help?

Possibly. Have you tried decoding the hint...? :D