Pocket Query -- No Results

Geo.Ladybug

Sometimes when creating a PQ, you can inadvertently guarantee yourself zero results by checking too many boxes. Either the boxes are mutually exclusive, or the parameters are too narrow to return any caches.

To diagnose the problem we would need to know exactly what parameters you specified for your pocket query. What did you check for each box, and what options did you leave blank?

That query thing can be a booger. I've never figured out how the check boxes work.

Try adding only these three things:

Check today

Select your state

Enter your zipcode

If that works you can try adding one thing at a time until you figure out what's wrong.

I assume you are using the "Preview" to see if it's working?

Oh, yes. As I recall, once you receive one with a particular name for today you can't get another with that name until tomorrow.

Edited by Thot

as Thot said - the boxes can be a bear at first -

for instance it looks like you check found and not found to get them ALL -- NOT!

no cahce is both found AND not found and you get the empty set. Note the AND next to that area.

like he said keep it simple at first -

but if you do NOT check a day it won't be a pq that gets generated - then you click the preview link - when you get a preview that looks like you want it to - then check the day you want - and/or one time pg and get the file sent to you.

Remeber also that you can do a "Preview" on any pocket query. Utilizing the preview feature, you can set you PQ parameters, then see if the results are what you want before you set the PQ to run.

If your preview returns zero caches, then you know you need to go back and fix something.

Jamie

Remeber also that you can do a "Preview" on any pocket query. Utilizing the preview feature, you can set you PQ parameters, then see if the results are what you want before you set the PQ to run.

If your preview returns zero caches, then you know you need to go back and fix something.

Jamie

hey Jamie - there's a bad echo in here ....

:):DB)

Teachable moment: do NOT select a day for your pocket query to run until AFTER you've tested it using the "preview" function. This saves you from using up one of your five daily allotted e-mail files until you know you've got good data. Heck, I still make mistakes myself and am surprised by the results that show up in the preview. It's saved me from wasting a PQ on more than one occasion.

Wishing you better luck with tomorrow's query!

EDIT for LaPaglia: just don't select a day until after you've viewed it online!

Edited by The Leprechauns

Same way, Lap. Just don't select a day, and the PQ won't run, but you can still view it online. Just keep tweaking/checking your PQ until you have it right. For example: if for max out at 500 caches, and your preview returns the full 500, chances are there are more caches that meet your parameters, and you are missing some. Keep tweaking things until you get under 500.

Same way, Lap. Just don't select a day, and the PQ won't run, but you can still view it online. Just keep tweaking/checking your PQ until you have it right. For example: if for max out at 500 caches, and your preview returns the full 500, chances are there are more caches that meet your parameters, and you are missing some. Keep tweaking things until you get under 500.

Thanks Lep and Mopar. Ok I learned something today. Does that mean I get to take the rest of the day off???

Teachable moment: do NOT select a day for your pocket query to run until AFTER you've tested it using the "preview" function. This saves you from using up one of your five daily allotted e-mail files until you know you've got good data. Heck, I still make mistakes myself and am surprised by the results that show up in the preview. It's saved me from wasting a PQ on more than one occasion.

Wishing you better luck with tomorrow's query!

EDIT for LaPaglia: just don't select a day until after you've viewed it online!

Like Jamie said - it bares repeating -

Thanks Lep and Mopar. Ok I learned something today. Does that mean I get to take the rest of the day off???

shore - just tell the boss I said it was ok -

Also, don't forget to select the ".gpx" file instead of the ".loc" file.

I only set mine to download 450 wypts. as a max. . If your running them directly into the GPSR, via cable, [i hope], leave some room. Then you have room to add legs for doing a few multis. or you'll be doing lots of deleting in the field to make room. Good luck SF1

I'm sure this has been answered before, but why is there a limit to the number of queries in a day? 5 is normally not a problem unless I'm going on a trip somewhere. I've taken 3-4 road trips from WA-CA and many trips around the state and to get the results I need I have to make sure I get my 5 max in for several days. I know this isn't that difficult, but many times I've changed my travel plans at the last minute and there I was maxed out. I suppose I could pay for multiple accounts, but these files aren't that large. Is the PQ setup that bogged down that we couldn't up the max to 10? I see on another thread that there is talk of making a selective PQ for area and size instead of the shotgun circle that we have now. That would be the biggest improvement I'd like to see. I can't imagine geocaching without my PQ's and PDA, so I love them, but they sure can get you wound up when they don't work right or don't come through.....:P

I'm going on a trip somewhere.  I've taken 3-4 road trips from WA-CA and many trips around the state and to get the results I need I have to make sure I get my 5 max in for several days.  I know this isn't that difficult, but many times I've changed my travel plans at the last minute and there I was maxed out. 

GeoRoo, that's where your friends can help! If your planning a specific route, just ask some buddies to D/L 1 or 2 PQ's along your route. If you you give them the set-up you want and day to D/L, I'm sure :P you can get many to help you.

Join your local club/region, and get to know some other cachers. Hope this gives you and idea or two. Drop me a line some time, :P , :P . Good Luck SF1

Thanks for the good info. You'll be the first one I look up!....:P Most of my trips aren't well planned out, so I never know where I'll go. I usually try to take chunks of the areas I'll be and hope for the best. I always seem to run out my 5 max and then I'm stuck. If I take another trip out of state I think I'll just pay for the extra premium memberships and go with that. I was just wondering why the 5 max. I wouldn't think there would be that many that would ever go over 5 a day, so why not make it open.

2nd part of Pocket Query

I did get the query to work (thanks for all your help) but now I can not open it in EasyGPS or gsak

I have queried using both loc and gpx

I have made the query short by asking only for 100

I have open the files in Notepad and the XML looks fine ..

now what?

2nd part of Pocket Query

I did get the query to work (thanks for all your help) but now I can not open it in EasyGPS or gsak

I have queried using both loc and gpx

I have made the query short by asking only for 100

I have open the files in Notepad and the XML looks fine ..

now what?

Are you choosing loc or gpx format??

Not that it should matter for easygps since it will open either.

Zipped or unzipped?

If your not getting them zipped, I would start. Sometimes unzipped get messed up... which is just annoying

I'm sure this has been answered before, but why is there a limit to the number of queries in a day?

The previously mentioned folks who would download the entire database (several have tried just that, in order to set up competing sites) are one reason. Another is that it would bog the servers down, according to TPTB. Try logging -anything- on a Saturday or Sunday evening, and you'll see what I mean. I would like to see more daily PQ's available, myself, and a larger search result. 500 may be the max # of waypoints that the GPSr will hold, but when you're going to filter them in GSAK ahyway and have less than 100 after you're done... :blink:

I'm sure this has been answered before, but why is there a limit to the number of queries in a day?

The previously mentioned folks who would download the entire database (several have tried just that, in order to set up competing sites) are one reason.

I'd like to read more about those that were caught and punished, can you point me to a topic about these people / sites?