Forum Name: Northeast Vs. Mid-atlantic

jkibbe

Each time I visit this specific forum, it always crosses my mind that it could/should be called Mid-Atlantic. Whenever I think of the Northeast, I think of New England (where I'm originally from), NY, DE, PA, and NJ. MD, DC, and VA seem to be getting somewhat to the south. (...must be that Mason-Dixon line mentality!) Also, it seems odd that the Northeast forum would exclude New England, which is as NE as you can get in this country.

I know it is nit-picky, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. Maybe someone else out there has thought the same thing. Or maybe I'm alone in my madness! :)

-Jason

Um, as a native of NJ who spent a little time in MA, I think that it is best to leave those people in their own little world. :)

Until marrying my wife (a native Cape Codder), I had never thought of New Jersey as "down south". Now I would normally agree with you that New England is about as far up and east as you can go, but my wife still insists that we go "down to the cape" to visit her family.

Therefore, by their own admission, they must be below us right? B) And we retain the title of "Northeast".... don't even get me started on what Philly considers the "northeast". Those folks are really messed up. :D

Each time I visit this specific forum, it always crosses my mind that it could/should be called Mid-Atlantic.  Whenever I think of the Northeast, I think of New England (where I'm originally from), NY, DE, PA, and NJ.  MD, DC, and VA seem to be getting somewhat to the south.  (...must be that Mason-Dixon line mentality!)  Also, it seems odd that the Northeast forum would exclude New England, which is as NE as you can get in this country.

I know it is nit-picky, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.  Maybe someone else out there has thought the same thing.  Or maybe I'm alone in my madness!  :)

-Jason

:D I vote for Secession!! B)

New Jersey demands its own forum!

Post free or delete!

:D

Fom what I hear, the more NJ is isolated from the rest of the world, the better off we are ! :)

there are two ways to read that, depends on if you're from NJ...

runs... checks profile...

AHA!!!!!

it *was* an insult!

I'd post a well thought, articulate, detailed argument countering your negative view, however my wife is standing next to me with the bags packed, the kid in the car, and a lease that says "somewhere outside of NJ", so I gotta go now. bye!

Fom what I hear, the more NJ is isolated from the rest of the world, the better off we are !  :)

Since when did this topic turn into NJ bashing??! :D

Bad form. :D

I neither insulted anyone from outside NJ nor yourself, so why does that give carte blanche to say something like that?

B) At least ALL our NJ roads are smoother than your PA roads! Na Na Na-na Na B)

::editted for spelling

Edited by GeoKender

Since I'm a disgruntled driver in PA, I feel compelled to include this:

pa.jpg

I'd much rather cruise down a highway in Maryland or Connecticut -- though I'm sure they pay for it in taxes...

I was just suggesting the forum be called "Mid-Atlantic" to be more accurate to the states that are represented here.

-Jason

Edited by jkibbe
:) At least ALL our NJ roads are smoother than your PA roads! Na Na Na-na Na :D

::editted for spelling

Ugh, why is it someone always rubs it in that our roads suck in PA...

While we are on the topic, shouldn't Ohio be in the North East?

I think Ohio is definitely midwest, but Virginia in the northeast? C'mon!

:P At least ALL our NJ roads are smoother than your PA roads! Na Na Na-na Na :P

I've been to NJ, I know better than that. You've got NO room to talk about our roads, you could lose a VW in the potholes in NJ.......

As to the original topic, who knows. It's what they went with originally, and it's stuck

I thought about this topic as well, once.

Once.

It doesn't matter - I think that over the past two years, maybe even moreso, over the past year, we have established and defined the "Northeast Forums" by the actions and posts of those who frequent it. :P

Now back to more pressing issues - making fun of New Jersey... :P

For real - you have the highest car insurance rates - is this whole making a left turn by first making a right REALLY working out? :P

Now back to more pressing issues - making fun of New Jersey... :P

For real - you have the highest car insurance rates - is this whole making a left turn by first making a right REALLY working out? [/color] :P

yeah it sucks but we have the highest per capita income then any other state so we can affords it. not that that justifies it of course.

as for the actual topic here....

does it make sense? yeah

do we need to? umm.. probl'y not.

I think from VA, MD, DE, PA, NJ would make a good group, probably include WV too. But what about NY? I think it would be long in such a group. You can call NH, VT, MA, RI, and ME the New England group.

really not necesarry if you ask me.

:P At least ALL our NJ roads are smoother than your PA roads! Na Na Na-na Na :D

I've been to NJ, I know better than that. You've got NO room to talk about our roads, you could lose a VW in the potholes in NJ.......

As to the original topic, who knows. It's what they went with originally, and it's stuck

:P With you being from PA, I am suprised you even know what a "foreign" car is. :D To PA's, a foreign car is a car with out-of-state plates! :P

j/k :Pall in good fun

GeoKender, I take exception to your comment. This PA family KNOWS foreign cars! We have an early '80s VW Rabbit convertible with 5 speed manual tranny and an early '74 MGB (no rubber bumpers) which my husband restored from parts! A friend of my husband has a Borgward!!! Now look that one up! B)

On topic, I've always wondered why this was called Northeast instead of Mid-

Atlantic. I would prefer Mid-Atlantic myself.

Edited by PeachyPA

I just decided to look, and it seem that the NE forums have more topics then any other geographics area. It is virtually tied for second in posts along with the SW, with NW being first. And yet I'd venture that we're the second smallest fourm by square milage (obviously the NE forum would cover the smallest area) Considering our smallish size and penchant for posting, I think a split isn't a bad thing.

Again, I'm not saying we need it, but I do see why some might feel we do. Course if we just get Avroair & BrianSnat to move to ME, I'm sure those posting #s would reverse and there'd be calls for Maine & Massachusetts to seceed from the NE forums and have their own catagory, so its all relative.

Maybe we could just call it the "Timmy Forum" Timmy is a nice name.

To tell the truth..I don't really care what it's called. If enough people feel strongly about it.....I say let them have thier way.

I'm with Harrald on this.

Then again, I think his intimidatingly witty choice of "Timmy" left me no alternative! B)

All I know is that Cape May NJ is south of Baltimore and Atlantic City NJ is almost on a direct line east of Baltimore. Living in Maryland I do not in any way think of myself as being in the North. On his death bed Jeb Stuart made his wife promise to make sure his children were educated south of the Mason Dixon Line. If it is good enough for him it is good enough for me.

On his death bed Jeb Stuart made his wife promise to make sure his children were educated south of the Mason Dixon Line. If it is good enough for him it is good enough for me.

Do as I say, not as I do? J.E.B. Stuart was West Point, Class of 1854.

Back on Topic:

I agree with Gwho. New York should have its own forum. Please give us the bandwidth you're wasting on Belgium and give it to the great Empire State. :blink:

Edited by Perfect Tommy

Since where I live on MARyland's Eastern Shore, next to the state of DELaware, with just a touch of VirginiA thrown into the peninsula, (which by the way is about halfway up the coast from Maine to Florida,) the forum should be called the "DELMARVA and NEARBY OTHER PLACES Forum." The six or eight of us who cache here would really be appreciative and honored if you could see fit to work with the geography as it is...