No The Ftf On The First Earthcache Yet?!

Interesting. The guidelines are simple enough.

Each year, GSA and its partner agencies will develop EarthCache projects. Each project will include the development of around 4 EarthCaches.

And somewhat involved:

GSA and its partner agencies will select a geocacher to work on each project. The successful participants will have three months to complete the project, although it is estimated that the establishment of each EarthCache will take approximately 2.5 days of work i.e. entire projects will be of 10 day equivalent time duration.

Actually, very involved:

GSA will pay participants a modest grant that is to offset the cost of accommodation and travel to undertake the project if needed. The amount is fixed each year and based on available funding.

Thanks, smullis, for the info. :P:P

The "EarthCache Projects" and Earthcaches are 2 different things from my reading at the GSA website. The Earthcaches are any virtual cache that brings attention to a geological feature in your area of high interest that is accepted by GSA and GC.com.

The EarthCache Projects are of a slightly larger scale and include the setup of 3-4 EarthCaches within NPS land (or similar agencied lands) and since the setup of each EarthCache in these situations is estimated to take 2.5 days (not 2.5 hours) then I am guessing that the possible establishment of signage and coordination with the rangers, etc is going to be involved rather than simply establishing a virtual cache at a geological point.

I'd love to work on one of the projects!

Here's the first log from the first Earthcache:

Scenic drive, fascinating lesson, great concept. I can see that I

have a lot to learn about geology, but I am very glad to have had

this lesson. I spent about a half-hour at the site, and due to a

little weirdness on the part of my GPSr, I wound up investigating

both sides of the road. The biggest piece (book) of mica that I found

was a little larger than a quarter, but it was thicker than a

quarter, and had a dozen or more sheets. The sun was just right when

I went, and the mica imbedded in the rocks was glinting in a most

dazzling way. Sadly, I do not have a camera - the shiny spots in the

big boulders would have made a great shot. I am very glad that you

created this cache - I hope to see more. Thanks !

Why couldn't a traditional cache be placed at this site? If earth caches are supposed to be 'environmentally friendly' why does this one encourage geocachers to take home some of the minerals?

I can see the need for 'earth caches' but if this is a place that people can freely visit and even take home part of the minerals found here I just don't understand why a traditional couldn't be placed here?

So... am I the only one that thinks a traditional could have been put at this site?

Good point Jeff, I thought the Earthcaches were a way to have caches in areas like National Parks where regular caches aren't allowed.

Don't get me wrong as I don't disagree with the Earth cache but I see Jeff's point in if Earthcaches are allowed where a regular cache could go that could lead to good cache locations not being used for regular caches.

Edited by Eric K