topo maps

Trees

Thanks for the help everybody. After reading the replys and doing a lot of research on the internet, I had stumbled across the article mentioned in one of the replys. Getting out various rulers and a magnifing glass(eyes not as good as they use to be)I managed to use the info to measure on the map a test location. I had orginally wanted to figure out the location in Deg/min/sec's but I guess UTM is ok sence I also found a site to convert it the other outputs used by a GPS. Also my GPS(mag315)will use UTM inputs also. I think I can measure to 9.5meters which I guess is close enough. Any other thoughts? Thanks--"trees"

quote:
Originally posted by trees:

I have a standard topo map, 7.5/7.5 How do I detirmine the coordances of a place on the map? There are 2.5minute marks on the map but how do you get closer?

A friend gave me a Topo Companion back when I was tracking Great Gray Owls into Canada. We did a lot of GPS to map/map to GPS stuff back then and the TopoCompanion was just the ticket. I see REI sells them, and the following phone # is printed on the thing: 800 275-7526. It's essentially a clear ruler/scale that works with most common topo scales. You can read the Lat/Long directly off the ruler for any point on the map. Or you can read the UTM coords off if it - if that's what floats your boat. I'm not affiliated in any way with the TopoCompanion folks - I'm just a satisfied user.

icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trees:

I have a standard topo map, 7.5/7.5 How do I detirmine the coordances of a place on the map? There are 2.5minute marks on the map but how do you get closer?

A friend gave me a Topo Companion back when I was tracking Great Gray Owls into Canada. We did a lot of GPS to map/map to GPS stuff back then and the TopoCompanion was just the ticket. I see REI sells them, and the following phone # is printed on the thing: 800 275-7526. It's essentially a clear ruler/scale that works with most common topo scales. You can read the Lat/Long directly off the ruler for any point on the map. Or you can read the UTM coords off if it - if that's what floats your boat. I'm not affiliated in any way with the TopoCompanion folks - I'm just a satisfied user.

icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by HangGlider:

A friend gave me a Topo Companion back when I was tracking Great Gray Owls into Canada. We did a lot of GPS to (snip)

HangGlider,

How do those Great Gray Owls taste? (I heard they were kinda stringy...) icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:

A friend gave me a Topo Companion back when I was tracking Great Gray Owls into Canada. We did a lot of GPS to (snip)

HangGlider,

How do those Great Gray Owls taste? (I heard they were kinda stringy...) icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Majicman and sbell, you must have been sampling those "free range-fed" owls. If you're ever in Pennsylvania, check out one of the owl farms, where the fledglings are fattened until virtually indistinguishable from the Cornish Game Hen. I believe that most of these owl mills offer visitor tours, but one word of warning: watch out for the tethers flying through the air as the owls move about. The low-flying ones will take your head clean off.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

quote:

By the time you pluck the dang things there ain't nothin' left but a pile 'o feathers! icon_eek.gif Beats me how they taste... Like chicken I suppose. icon_biggrin.gif

yeah, thought so - I'll just stick to baby seals, nice and juicy...

icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

quote:

By the time you pluck the dang things there ain't nothin' left but a pile 'o feathers! icon_eek.gif Beats me how they taste... Like chicken I suppose. icon_biggrin.gif

yeah, thought so - I'll just stick to baby seals, nice and juicy...

icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

--majicman