**attention 60cs Owners**

TheWiz

I've had my 60cs on car power for the last 4 months. Just moved to a new state and am trying to learn to get around! Never had a lockup yet while hooked to the lighter. The First 60cs I bought lasted a week before a fatal powerdown occured. Nothing anyone tried could get it to power on. The second unit is the same one I have now, and even though you folks seem to use more of the track back than I do, It's been problem free. Just wish I could recharge the nimH batteries while they are in the unit! Been all over creation with mine in Utah and Colorado and other than being very afraid of scratching the screen, I love it! I think I will like the fix for the menus in the new update though.

This is the "Lock Ups in TrackBack of saved tracks" thread. This thread is pertaining to the lock ups experienced when the trip computer display is on screen with a field on that display filled with a "waypoint at destination" setting during active trackback navigation. Please check other threads for discussion on your lockup type.....tnx

I installed 3.61 and it still locks up on track back while running on the batteries. I did find something interesting. I left the GPS in "hung" mode until I got home, then I removed the batteries and looked at the track log, even though the GPS was hung it was still tracking where I had been.

Just sent to Garmin:

See highlighted below: Was this a fix for our previously discussed unit lockup with "waypoint at destination" in a trip computer display field during active navigation in trackback with trip computer diplay continuously on screen undisterbed?

Steve

Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.61:

Now report DEM map support to PC software.

Fixed lockup that could happen when selecting a Tracback point.

Fixed shutdown caused by viewing some Marine Light points.

Fixed problem with Indonesian Southern Grid using wrong longitude

Garmin's response:

Yes, this is the part within the update which fixed your " lock-up. Thanks

Reply to Garmin:

I hate to say it....but if that was the fix, it didn't work. I don't know what they think!.. they fixed.

For what it's worth, here again in short is the problem we have in the 60cs:

With v3.61Beta installed:

Whole unit lockups still happen with "waypoint at destination" in a (trip computer) display field during active navigation in trackback with the trip computer display continuously on screen with no button pushing until lockup occurs.

With that said, my next request is for an engineering contact that I can consult with directly on this matter. This is pretty much the last straw for me now having put up with this problem for a year in this unit and other copies of the 60cs I've used trying to get one that works. Considering your product involves the safety of the general public, (both the GPS user) and the (Non-User)... no Garmin system should ever be released for purchase until that design can be offered in a reliable form. My intent was to buy a navigation system, not a Fischer Price geocache toy. You will never know how many hours I have put into helping Product Support troubleshoot these issues and many others I have found in the unit that still go unfixed. This system is so far from ready to be released to the public and yet Garmin continues adding features to the 60cs while the basics don't work right. I can't even begin to tell you just how disgusted I am with Garmin products and the lack of effective support on the several occasions that I've needed it. Which...so happens to be why I've made no further moves to purchase any other overpriced products or accessories that Garmin offers. For this reason I will most likely be returning the unit for a full refund if this highly essential function is not fixed by April, the one year anniversary of my dealing with these buggy 60cs units.

So that we can get to the bottom of this and a bunch of other 60cs problems, ASAP.... please pass along the necessary contact information for your engineering department where I can give them the straight poop on this and other issues with this system that remains unreliable.

Well, here's Garmin's latest response:

After talking with the one of the guys working with the 60 issues, and about this problem, he notified me that he has fixed the problem but was not able to release this fix in time for the beta version. Since this is just a beta version, complete versions are always release after the beta version, which will include this fix. I apologize about the previous response which said this fix was included in this beta versions when it wasn't. Am confident in the next complete version the fix will be there.

Good news everyone...It appears that our lockup of the 60cs that required battery removal if you were using "Waypoint at destination" within any of the Trip Computer display fields during continuous display of the trip computer in active trackback navigation...has been fixed. It only took nine months of my persistant testing and reporting to Garmin to get it done but I'm glad to report that today you have a better working GPS than the one you bought with any version prior to 3.70 for the 60cs and I suppose the 60c or any related model you may own.

You're welcome,

Steve

Ok, I've got a lock up problem with my 60C. It's when I use the Find function, then select a waypoint, then select Go To, then when I choose Follow Road or Off Road... my 60C randomly locks up before it gets to "Calculating...". To clear it, I have to remove the batteries, then power back up. I'm using ver. 3.7 of the firmware. I just got my 60C 4 days ago, and one of the first things I did was update the firmware, so I can't compare the problem with an earlier version.

Has anyone else seen this lock up problem with their 60 series?

Ok, I've got a lock up problem with my 60C. It's when I use the Find function, then select a waypoint, then select Go To, then when I choose Follow Road or Off Road... my 60C randomly locks up before it gets to "Calculating...". To clear it, I have to remove the batteries, then power back up. I'm using ver. 3.7 of the firmware. I just got my 60C 4 days ago, and one of the first things I did was update the firmware, so I can't compare the problem with an earlier version.

Has anyone else seen this lock up problem with their 60 series?

Yes - 60CS

In my case version 3.70 of the firmware solves the lockup that happened when tracbacking using a Garmin GPSMap 60CS.

In my case the exact problem solved was:

Tracback feature

- When selecting a tracback point either with the active tracklog or a saved one the unit freezes when selecting the point to trackback to. This happens 100% of the time if the routing "guidance method" is set to "promted" and you select "follow track". The unit does not freeze if the "guidance method" is set to "off road".

It took a while to be solved but it is nice news that Garmin cares about customers.

Note, although bete 3.61 claimed to solve the problem it was not true. Version 3.70 of the firmware is the one that solves the problem described above.