First Finder Tips

Does anyone have any first finder tips to share? Are there programs out there that will alert you to a new cache in your area? Do people just type in their zip code all day, or refresh their browser, or run PQ's every hour looking for new caches? :D:P

Most of the time, by the time I see a new cache has been listed, either by random chance or in the weekly update, there have been ten finders. :D

So, I'm curious, how do YOU stay on top of the newly released caches to increase your first finds?

Pan

P.S. In keeping with attempts to keep this topic on point, I have it on good authority that the OP doesn't care whether YOU care about being the FTF. :P I would appreciate it if any such discussions are taken to another thread. My intent is for this to be the place for posting tips/tricks/advice/methods on increasing your odds to be FTF. - P :D

P.P.S. If you've got markwell's I'll take 'em. I did a search and came up with an unmanagable amount of information, none of which seemed useful. - P :D

On the forums home page, scroll down and you will see 'Geocaching Groups by Region / State' When I click on Indiana, it lists the newest Indiana caches on the top of the page, and they are added just as soon as the approver approves them and the owner activates them. Try it for your state/region/country.

On the forums home page, scroll down and you will see  'Geocaching Groups by Region / State' When I click on Indiana, it lists the newest Indiana caches on the top of the page, and they are added just as soon as the approver approves them and the owner activates them. Try it for your state/region/country.

Oooooo.... that's a good one.

Thanks 2qwerqE!

Edit: Weird that when you click on your state, and the list of caches comes up, it doesn't tell you how far away the cache is from you. - P

Edited by Pantalaimon
I have fair number of FTFs. And I can only attribute it to caching at night.

Some cachers in this area, I'm sure are annoyed when a cache that didn't even exist when they went to bed, has already been found when they log on, in the morning. :P

Okay, but what method did you use to find the newly approved cache?

Since I have at least 10 to 15 FTFs I'll relay my strategy. At least twice per day I search for the nearest caches (from my home coordinates) in the page refered to as "My account details" . I click on the "filter finds" button so already found caches don't show up. It helps that I leave for work at 0540 every morning.

I look for the "key" word NEW on the cache descriptions

This morning I spotted a new cache that was approved late last night. I made it to the location 0605 and landed another FTF. It helps that these caches are on my way to work. I have found several FTFs on my way home also.

What I won't do is drive 10 miles out of my way for FTF if I'm busy at home and not going work.

Even If I do get FTF, I won't log my find online, until later in the day, because I wouldn't want to dampen anyone else's enthusiam about possibly getting FTF.

I missed FTF on one cache by 5 minutes and still had fun getting to the new cache "in a hurry."

Bill,

Edited by Kit Fox
On the forums home page, scroll down and you will see  'Geocaching Groups by Region / State' When I click on Indiana, it lists the newest Indiana caches on the top of the page, and they are added just as soon as the approver approves them and the owner activates them. Try it for your state/region/country.

Oooooo.... that's a good one.

Thanks 2qwerqE!

Edit: Weird that when you click on your state, and the list of caches comes up, it doesn't tell you how far away the cache is from you. - P

That's the way to go. Bookmark that page, or add it to your favorites, or even make it your homepage for your browser. About the distance thing - after you look at these things for a while, you'll recognize who's hiding caches in your areea, and who isn't. After that, it's just a quick matter of clicking on the ones you don't recognize.

I've been fairly successful at FTF but never tracked numbers. Being unemployed at one time helped. :P

Now I kick back and let newbies fight for the glory. If I feel the urge I'll ace them. The secrete is to know the competition. If they cache at night, you better nail it in the evening. If they are afterschool types (one of our new FTF finders is) you better take a long lunch.

If you know when they go, you can at your leisure check for a new cache without hittting continually checking for new caches. This is a two way street. You also have a pattern and so if you work for a living, anyone can snag one when you are working and you can't do anything about it so there is no reason to try.

In other words the only FTF's to worry about are the ones that you have a shot at.

Some cachers in this area, I'm sure are annoyed when a cache that didn't even exist when they went to bed, has already been found when they log on, in the morning. :P

Okay, but what method did you use to find the newly approved cache?

Just the "List newest in <insert state here>" link on "My cache page". I check/refresh the page ever so often, through the day and evening.

I use a feature within my browser (Netscape, firefox- but it also works in ie)

First I went to My Page then to "Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates"

The then bookmark the results page.

Once thats done, I go to "bookmarks", then "manage bookmarks"

Your list will appear- I then L click on the GC page I just mentioned.

Once it is highlighted, I then R click the bookmark and get a list of options.

I select "Properties"

One of the tabs/options listed is There "Schedule" I schedule my browser to check my nearsest page every 30 minutes (Can do shorter amounts of time)

I also created a second bookmark, using the zip code of my cabin.

Now, in the morning when I open Firefox the program will notify me if the page has been updated- And again all day as the page is updated.

There are several options on how it will notify you.

Not the most effective method, but a nice little tool.

Hope that helps!

I look for the "key" word NEW on the cache descriptions

When you are looking at the filtered list, or any list, if the "placed" date and the "description" are close together, 1/4", there are no new ones on that page, so just hit "next". If they are further apart, 1/2", at least one on that page is new. This may help you run thru the list quicker without having to scroll thru all the pages of older caches.

I don't count, but I'd estimate I have about a dozen FTFs. They were all accidental. In no instance did I run out specifically to get a FTF. In most cases they happend to be caches that were posted and had no finds for 3, 4 or 5 days..

So my tip is to look for caches that have gone unfound for a while and target them.

I have about 40 FTFs.

- I use the Mozilla/Firefox method listed earlier, and am notified within 10 minutes or so of a new cache being listed.

- You must be able to drop everything and go, anytime day or night. If you aren't at a cache within a couple hours of it being listed, you've lost the FTF (at least in my area). If I'm going for a FTF, I'm usually at the cache within 90 minutes.

- About half of my FTFs are at night, usually after 11pm.

- Many of my other FTFs are before 7am.

- If your work schedule is flexible, it helps. I've gone at various times during the day, not just at lunch.

Most of the cachers in my area prefer to cache early in the morning. Well, I'm a night owl and if I see a new cache come online at night I'm out the door to find it. I've been FTF several times this way.

I don't have a method other than checking the site several times a day to see what's new. Some of the cachers that I know in the area will email me to tell they have submitted a new cache.

Edited by Prairie Dog 76
If I'm going for a FTF, I'm usually at the cache within 90 minutes.

In my area if I'm going for a FTF, I'm usually at the cache within 85 minutes. I've had pretty good luck.

Which is why I always don't go for the FTF in Wheelygood country. I try to stick to my area and south for the most part!

I've been a paying member since the start of this whole thing, and I still don't know what the heck a pocket querry is?  help with that one please?

Fireman78, it would sidetrack this thread to discuss pocket queries here. Feel free to e-mail me through the site and I can try and get you up to speed.

--Marky