Coordinates On Travel Bugs

Slytherin

Recently there have been a couple of caches near to me that are set up so that you have to find a number of different travel bugs in order to find the final co-ordinates to the cache.

I just wondered what the general opinion of this is. Personally, even though I'm a "reformed" numbers man, I'm still not keen on visiting caches that I've already done just to get a number off a travel bug. Why repeat a cache when you can go out an find a new one?

Added to that, there is no guarentee that the bug is going to be there when you get to the cache. One of these travel bugs even cropped up in one of my own caches yesterday, but before I could go and get the number off it, someone had already taken the bug out of the box. One of the caches has only been active for a couple of days and already three out of six tags are "in hand" and not in caches.

I'm all for "mystery" caches that require puzzles to be worked out to find the final coordinates but I'm not really sure what the point is of the travel bug ones. :P:P

-

Well, after nabbing two of the three interception bugs by getting to the caches they were in within 12 hours of them being logged as there, I'd say that I'm very much in favour of them *grin*

Honestly though, I think that it is another 'each to their own' sort of question. Some people obviously like the challenge, otherwise the bugs you mention wouldn't be 'in hand' already :P However, I can see that they wouldn't be for everyone, and it would be most annoying if the published-but-incorrect coordinates for one of the final caches crawled into my nearest-unfound list when I had no intention and/or ability to go get teh bugs.

But like with everything in this eclectic sport, anyone who doesn't like then doesn;t have to pick them up.

*wanders off to have another go at Domheknows' latest puzzle cache*

Our new one, which we placed with CT & J, requires a TB to be found first, although the TB itself is a puzzle. As it has not been released yet, I don't want to say too much, but the TB will be released at the North West event so plenty of people should be able to have a go before the TB heads off into the wild. There will also be some 'copies' of the TB available at the event to make things more entertaining for us to watch.

T

I've just started doing the 'Nuts About Cumbria' cache which is the first one I've seen of this type.

As I have never cached in Cumbria before it is a nice incentive to get out there and a way of filtering which caches to get first. On my first visit last week I managed to get to 2 of the 3 TBs and placed them both back in other caches the same day which seems the best way to go about these (there's nothing more fustrating that seeing the one you need 'in hand'). Although I did manage to break the cache rules straight away by placing one of the TBs 500m outside Cumbria (in North Yorkshire - do it good to see some civilisation :P ).

There's no law stating that you have bag 'em even for the most dedicated numbers guys. If you don't like them leave them. Eventually, you will probably get hold of the TBs in the normal course of cacheing anyway - what's the rush!

I'm all for a bit of variety! And tracking down a TB or solving a problem or two just adds to the fun. There are some very entertaining caches starting to appear, and I applaud the effort (and deviousness!) that goes into creating them. Most do not fall into the "drive-by cache-and-dash" category though. :P

And I managed to save several miles by intercepting a couple of the Cluedo TBs, rather than having to find the actual caches! :P

Edited by milvus-milvus

I rather like the idea of a cache where you can either solve the puzzle or else if you are lucky, grab a TB which has a solution on it. This way, thickies like me can solve caches by luck and I freely admit, I enjoy finding and passing on TBs. I recently managed to get hold of a Jeep TB and I have enjoyed the begging letters I have got from people who want to get hold of one themselves. :P

I have got an absolutely EVIL idea for a puzzle cache. Need to do some homework first, but I have it in mind to also release a complimentary TB too, which reproduces the solution. Nuff said!

:D

I Have only found one TB that does this. I have half the coords but if i wanted the other half it would be A bit of a drive

To the other TB..160 miles

To the cache.......170 miles

Back home.........120 miles

Total................. 450 miles

Think I might give it a miss this weekend. But will keep my eye on the other TB just in case :P:D

in sydney there is a cache called the fifth element which I like a lot: You need the 4 element TBs to find the 5th element.

Unfortunately I only had time to hunt down 2 of the 4 before we moved to the UK

I found just one of those 4 elements, but I left it well alone. At the time I was more interested in the simple caches, as I was only in Australia for a few weeks. If it had been here in the UK I'd have definitely taken note of it and searched out the others.

I have found Interception 3, and am keeping watch on Interception bugs 1 and 2. When they get with 50 miles of here I'll probably go for one of them, probably in the middle of the night.

Oh look what aRRKS have set upStencil Stash . Only 12 miles from my house.  :D  :D  :D  thats going to be on my nearest list for a while :D

especially as they've gone off to scotland today to place the bugs..

NOOOOOOOOOO :D :D

Stencil 1 safely placed...now off to Cornwall on tuesday and Kent on thursday :D

Don't worry just kidding :D