Size Icons - Better With Color?

Prime Suspect

Gaddiel and OrangeDanish suggested this in another thread:

While we're on the subject, can I suggest a small change to those size icons?  It sure would help to have the red indicator fill ALL the boxes to the left.  In other words, for a regular-sized cache, instead of this:

regular.gif

it would look like this:

regular2.gif

Seems it would be much easier to differentiate at a glance...

Perhaps the 2 ideas could be used together?

sd

While we're on the subject, can I suggest a small change to those size icons?  It sure would help to have the red indicator fill ALL the boxes to the left.  In other words, for a regular-sized cache, instead of this:

regular.gif

it would look like this:

regular2.gif

sd

IMO, the (for example) SMALL box should only be colored in if the cache is, in fact, a small size cache. Otherwise, it's just adding noise to the list.

If I'm looking for a regular size cache, it seems to me it would be easier to be able to just scan for the orange block, instead of trying to look for orange blocks that don't have green blocks next to them. Or blue blocks that don't have orange blocks next to them.

IMO, the (for example) SMALL box should only be colored in if the cache is, in fact, a small size cache. Otherwise, it's just adding noise to the list.

I odn't know, but he might be meaning ALL of the blocks that would be colored in would the same color. So, regulars would have three orange blocks. Large four green blocks, and so on.

I like the color idea, but I would put the colors in a meaningful order, such as the spectrum.

Red -> Orange -> Green -> Blue

Actually, I prefer PS's scheme as there is a contrast in color between closely sized blocks. I'm afraid a tiny red would be too much like a small orange. Same with a regular green to close to large blue.

No, I'm not colorblind. I can differeniate hue just fine. My point is we are looking for a contrast now because there is only a contrast in size and not color. By giving as much contrast as possible the scheme is better.

I think PS's scheme just about perfect.

It's much easier for me to glance at this and see that all 3 blocks are filled up. IMO, different colors add noise. (just pointing out that what may work best for some may not for others)

Of course, If you have to have different color - CR's suggestion would work I guess.

(I'm not getting into what color should be used for what size, sheesh, but for examples)

Micro - one mauve

small - two chartruese

regular - three burnt sienna

large - four turqoise

sd

IMO, different colors add noise.

Respectfully, one person's noise is another person's signal. (small 's')

While I can understand the arguement about differeing colors adding to complexity of the page. My take is if you're scanning the page for certain size you'd be looking for a particular color as well as particular size of block. This becomes very useful information.

I, too, agree that it would be easier to scan the page if as you mention a number of blocks were colored up to the size indicated. However, I do think it might cause some confusion.

Of the folks who will have to handle the confusion are TPTB and a few here on the forums.

A solution might be show each of the size icons in the legend at the bottom of the page and label them.

(Of course, considering the number of posts asking what (D/T) is a help page detailing the nearest list might be helpful.)

IMO, different colors add noise.

Respectfully, one person's noise is another person's signal. (small 's')

I know that, I was replying to this post:

B)

sd

regular.gif

it would look like this:

regular2.gif

sd

IMHO that just makes it look someone couldn't make up their mind.

It's a MediumSmallMicro .

Thorin

I like the color idea, but I would put the colors in a meaningful order, such as the spectrum.

Red -> Orange -> Green -> Blue

I'm bumping this up as I thought it was a good idea and prove that people do use the search button.

Since it ended with neither yeah or nay, just curious if there are any plans for implimentation or def not happening, etc.

TIA

Rather than all these pretty but confusing symbols and colours, I'd prefer it went back to saying "Micro", "Small" etc.

The symbols are too small and difficult to understand, as is evidenced by the suggestion to add colour. Which will help, but doesn't fix the underlying problem.