Stop "Stomp the Newbie"

Jeremy

Seriously.

Stop this "Stomp the newbie" practice. Sure a lot of questions have been asked before, but give it a rest. Just ignore them if you don't want to be helpful.

"Markwelling" is basically harmless, but the "lets see who can stomp the newbie first" activity is getting pretty tiresome. Hostility is counterproductive.

Let it go. Thanks.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Capn_Skully:

Hello!

Nobody has treated me badly. Maybe I have a thick skin or more experience around forums and discussions. Whatever. icon_biggrin.gif

Fair winds, Capn Skully

Well, it's obvious with that attitude, and that avatar(!) you fit right in with this bunch!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

Hello!

Nobody has treated me badly. Maybe I have a thick skin or more experience around forums and discussions. Whatever. icon_biggrin.gif

Fair winds, Capn Skully

Love the avatar!

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

...when their first post is a self-conscious inquiry about pirating software? Are we supposed to be sweet when they know they are asking for assistance in an illegal activity? I responded quite bluntly to such an inquiry recently and even more bluntly to others who attempted to justify it. The topic was subsequently deleted from the forums, and I think the original poster was shamed into dropping that account and starting another one.

Is this one of the examples to which you are referring?

Worldtraveler

There is a difference between taking someone to task for activities you mention and being arrogant, self-righteous, and holier-than-thou when someone says “Gee, what is the bearing needle for?”.

Edit: The difference between rudeness and honest criticism is command of language, don’t you agree?

don

[This message was edited by Cachetrotters on January 17, 2003 at 07:27 AM.]

And (since my verbed name-sake was brought up), there's a difference between "Markwelling" and saying "Hey, you idiot. We've discussed this over here."

I've tried to make Markwelling defined as bringing a historic perspective into the discussion. I've even tried to be more polite when Markwelling, as evidenced by my response in here. Instead of just posting the links, I summarized the data from the old thread. We must learn from our history or we are doomed to repeat it.

I think one of the great advantages to this board is having the FAQs posted at the top of the getting started. I've seen a significant drop in the obviously repeated questions (especially "How do I change an address to a set of coordinates?"), and also I've gotten many unsolicited "thank you" e-mails from neocachers.

Be nice to the newbies. They could be the next übercachers.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

...when their first post is a self-conscious inquiry about pirating software? Are we supposed to be sweet when they _know_ they are asking for assistance in an illegal activity?

No problem. Feel free to "Stomp the pirate." We have no room for people requesting copies of Mapsource Topo CDs. We could easily become the physical Napster as a sport but we already have enough issues to worry about.

Thanks Markwell. As I said before, Markwelling is fine, and actually pretty nice, because it keeps responses to topics central to the original topic.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Unlike many places on the internet, these forums are a great place for families and people that are really new not only to the internet, but to technology.

The Getting Started forum is just that, people should feel free to ask any question. As a person who has surfed longer than many cachers have been alive, I believe a quick Markwelled link can seem a bit rude.

Fortunatly Markwell is usually not rude at all, but many use is name right in front of a quicky link.

Most Newbies are looking for an answer. If it can be answered quickly, why not do that instead of making them wade thru a 100 post thread? Yes, we've all done it, and most should learn to do the same, but let's not forget that a link to some is still a very unknown thing.

When they venture into the General and above disscussions Markwell the heck outta 'em.

quote:
Have not been mis treated since I came here. You want to see newbie bashing. Go to the 4x4 Pirate Board. That place is down right crazy. But great source info for you 4x4 guys.

Pirate Board

Hahaha....That was the first forum i thought of when I read Jeremy's post....

The Pirate board even has a one-fingered icon to salute any newbie caught on their first post... icon_biggrin.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:

Hello!

Fair winds, Capn Skully

How did we miss him? Hang on folks! I'll get him!

icon_biggrin.gif

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

[This message was edited by Lyra on January 17, 2003 at 10:01 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:

_How did we miss him? Hang on folks! I'll get him!_

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/60748_2600.jpg

_There, that's better._ icon_biggrin.gif

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/60748_1200.jpg

[This message was edited by Lyra on January 17, 2003 at 10:01 AM.]

Ohh goood! Thanks I needed that! Actually I have seen STOMP live, what an awesome show!

Fair winds, Capn Skully

And I got over it...

Although if you do chastise someone, lest ye be reminded:

1. This isn't a game.

2. This isn't a sport.

3. This isn't competition. (see a theme here?)

4. If you really are worried about who 'found' their own caches or it posting lame viruals, get over it. icon_wink.gif

WIsearchers

(Doing this for fun and the hike, and watching out for the ticks) icon_biggrin.gif

Have GPSr, will travel.

This might help with the newbie stomping..

I sure it has been discussed, adding a chat room!

If there were one newbies and old timers could use it not only to chat with other cachers but, if they need to find a posting or an amswer to something, instead of starting a new thread other cachers could throw a link into the chat...

It seems as if this stomping starts when dup threads are created...

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

Natureboy, it is with the utmost of courtesy and an abiding desire to be of humble assistance to you and to other newcomers, that I Markwell you over to the thread you started in the geocaching.com forum concerning the very same subject of a chat room. I once again extend to you my most cordial invitation to join us in ClayJar's geocaching chat, #geocache on IRC or http://gcchat.clayjar.com

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

quote:
Originally posted by Natureboy1376:

This might help with the newbie stomping..

I sure it has been discussed, adding a chat room!

If there were one newbies and old timers could use it not only to chat with other cachers but, if they need to find a posting or an amswer to something, instead of starting a new thread other cachers could throw a link into the chat...

It seems as if this stomping starts when dup threads are created...

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

Then why keep starting duplicate threads yourself?

Maybe if people (newbies and oldtimers alike) took a few minutes to READ instead of just hitting the post new topic button, there would be alot less people getting frustrated by those dupe threads.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

EDIT: Wow, I'm a bit slow on the STOMP button it seems!

For what its worth, (and this was discussed in that great idea of a chatroom this morning), I spent almost an entire MONTH reading the forums here before even registering or posting a single msg. When I did finally post, it was about something I knew had never been really discussed. Unfortunately for the rest of the users, I haven't shut up since. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Mopar on January 17, 2003 at 10:35 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

quote:
Have not been mis treated since I came here. You want to see newbie bashing. Go to the 4x4 Pirate Board. That place is down right crazy. But great source info for you 4x4 guys.

Pirate Board

Hahaha....That was the first forum i thought of when I read Jeremy's post....

The Pirate board even has a one-fingered icon to salute any newbie caught on their first post... icon_biggrin.gif

Art

/

YeaH I saw your signature links and avatar and kind of figured you would reply to my comment. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Nobody has been stomped like the newbies over there. But I have to admit, sometimes it is pretty funny with all those Poncho pics! "CHIPS"

Nice Truck! Got any pics on a website?

I have a 87 Toyota X-cab. 33's 4.88s EZ-Lockers front and rear. Rockstomper IFS Brace and Type II Skidplate. I have some 4.7 to 1 gears still in the box. icon_frown.gif

quote:

Maybe if we create a "Markwell Group" where there are a few people "admins" of the boards it would help.

Basically before your NEWTOPIC is Posted to the boards it has to be approved, and if there is a Dup the Markwell Group could send you an email with the thread links!

Interesting idea, but I think the admins. probly already have enough to do without approving/reviewing every topic before being posted.

When I've used the search and can't find what I'm looking for, I'll pop into the chat and ask the people there about it. Sometimes they even will know the answer, but if not they can usally still give something to search from. Maybe a who-said-what or different keyword to try, Its very helpful! icon_cool.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Interesting idea, but I think the admins. probly already have enough to do without approving/reviewing every topic before being posted.

I took that into consideration when I wrote that, I figured alot of cachers on this board really know it well. Maybe they would be willing to step up for this, I don't know if it would be even Poss. they would have to be put into a Admin Group with the particular rights for the admin options....

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

quote:

I took that into consideration when I wrote that, I figured alot of cachers on this board really know it well. Maybe they would be willing to step up for this...

All I'm saying is one reason this probly wouldn't happen is that the Admins. seem busy, W/O undertaking some new project icon_smile.gif

I don't like to see new people getting stomped, while asking newbie questions.

However I am guilty of accusing someone of being a TROLL. For which Jeremy deleted my post. He must have investigated the posters IP and account.

OOPS! ponder.gif

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

When is it official when you are not classified as a newbie...just curious!

Love the forums and all the regulars who answer, I am always learning something new here everyday and it isn't always on geocaching either. I have only been stomped once and I just stomped back!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...I am where I am suppose to be...At least I think so? [icon_biggrin.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Not really a newbie at all, but occasionally get stomped anyway. icon_wink.gif

How about NO STOMPING at all? icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, but you keep coming back for more, right? I also seem to have noticed your hiking boot prints around a couple of times. I alway enjoy your posts, though. icon_cool.gif

I think the 'Getting Started' forum should be a no-stomping zone, but hey, in 'General', a little good-natured tap dancing is part of the fun.

Keep on caching!

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

Yes, keep coming back. Figure there are times when the forums need a good healthy shot of reality. Even get support now and again too ;-)

Hiking boots? Just bought

these and can't say enough good about them.

Of course, the bad part about being vocal is that I'm not likely to see any emails asking me to be an approval volunteer... icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't know what the approved method is - maybe someone who has been around longer can clue me in.

When I want to send a private message to someone on the forums, I click their names. This brings up their user page, which has a "send a message" link that allows me to email them. I try to keep my messages brief, and I try to always click the "send my email address" checkbox so that the person I email can see the address the email came from.

So far, people have been really nice about it - nobody has accused me of spamming them or anything.... icon_biggrin.gif

Shannah

Thats usally what I do. The biggest problem with it is that if you forget to check "send my address" box, it usually takes a bit longer to get a reply. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team StitchesOnQuilts:

I don't know what the approved method is - maybe someone who has been around longer can clue me in.

When I want to send a private message to someone on the forums, I click their names. This brings up their user page, which has a "send a message" link that allows me to email them. I try to keep my messages brief, and I try to always click the "send my email address" checkbox so that the person I email can see the address the email came from.

So far, people have been really nice about it - nobody has accused me of spamming them or anything.... icon_biggrin.gif

Shannah

Well were all nebies when we start. I have about 140 finds and I still consider my self a major rookie at this stuff. I dont think we can ever stop learning from each other. I know I need to take some "cache-rehiding" lessons from BassonPilot as his rehides are VERY good and dont "look" unnatural. Thats the next item I want to increase my skill on.

Learn, improve but most importantly be safe and have fun.