First Cache

Agent N.

This may help a little.

1) Only use the gps till you get close then start seaching for it.

2) Print the cache page and bring it with you do you can read it over and use the hint if you need it.

3) Read the last few logs to see what other people said about the cache

4) Have fun, and if you don't find it no big deal go back later and try again.

Good luck and happy hunting

Trust you GPS about as far as you can throw it. Or should we say, trust the other guy's GPS about as far as you'd like to throw it. When my GPS says I am at the cache with accuracy +/- 10 m, I can easily be 20 m from where it says the cache is 10 minutes later. The GPS only gets you so close, much of the time.

1.Don't rely too much on your GPS when you get close. Many novices expect the GPS to them them straight to the cache. In reality it could be 30, 40, 50 or more feet off.

2.When you turn your GPS on for the first time, take it to the middle of an open field and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

3.If the cache is in the woods, turn the GPS on well before you enter the woods.

4.Read your owners manual.

Be prepared! Have a first aid kit with you . . .

I'm currently 42 yr old. I have spend a good part of my life in the woods either working or recreating. I have always tried to cary good little first aid kits, just in case. But now that I'm middle aged, I have to admit, that in all my years, I have NEVER used anything from one of my first aid kits other than a band-aid or some athletic tape (which I use for treating blisters).

Moral: Don't sweat the first aid kit unless you are a long way from the exit, then for anything serious, cary a reliable cell phone.

we printed a map of the area, fallowed the GPS until around 50ft and looked for all the possable hiding places,and........ did not find it lol. I'am going to read all the logs (not just a few of them like last time) and try agian sometime soon :P

Don't give up. Our first hunt was similar, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough. Enjoy your wide-eyed enthusiasm!

we printed a map of the area, fallowed the GPS until around 50ft and looked for all the possable hiding places,and........ did not find it lol.

By the way, thanks for starting a fun string.

When I can't find a cache upon arriving at the coordinates and looking in all the obvious places (~80% of caches are found this way), I start walking/searching a very specific search pattern.

1) I spend several minutes with the GPS backing off and walking toward and/or around where it thinks the location is. This gives me a rough idea of the spot the GPS claims the cache should be. I then select the center of the most probable GPS location as the starting point for my search pattern.

2) Then, depending on the nature of the terrain, I start either an outwardly increasing spiral search pattern or a zigzag (from the center out 10 m north then 1 m west, then 20 m south, 1 m west, 20 m north, 1 m west, 20 m south . . . repeated until you have searched 10 m west of center and then repeated again east of center if not yet found).

A ridgid search pattern essentially clears an area so you don't end up looking in the same spot over and over again and keeps you from missing the not-so-obvious. If the 20 m square around the cache doesn't work, I will often pull out my GPS and see if it still claims the same "center". Often it doesn't, and so I can then extend the search pattern in the indicated direction beyond that already searched.

Good luck. The worst part is when you find the cache in a rather obvious spot right where you looked the last time . . . generally due to good camaflage painting it seems.

Have fun and welcome to the sport.

[CODE]
Check and see if there is an "event cache" in your area, you'll get the chance to meet other geocachers who can help you.

[/code]

Lurking through this one because I just got my GPS and haven't yet gone caching. I have been wondering about meeting up with people in my area, Hudson Valley, NY. How do I find events? Do you need to be a premo member?

Moral: Don't sweat the first aid kit unless you are a long way from the exit, then for anything serious, cary a reliable cell phone.

WRONG ! I helped pack out a DOA, because his cell phone wouldn't transmit from the canyon he was in. Just be wise and let someone know where you are at, and give them a map and the estimated time of return.